Home General Discussion

Mortal Kombat

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 16
So i didnt see a thread about this, and i was just wondering if anyone else here got it. I bought both portal and mk on tuesday, and i have to admit, to my surprise, i am enjoying mk a lot more than i expected to. coming off of playing mvc3 since it came out, when i played MK at gdc this year i thought it was pretty slow and boring. IT ISNT! generally i think its a really great game and the story mode has had me hooked! just thought id get everyone else's opinions on the matter. :D

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    So many backlog of games to play :) Just picked up Heavy Rain and Bioshock 2 plus want to play some of the oldies I never finished. From what I played on the demo, I liked though I usually suck at fighting games so probably grab it when its on sale or cheap.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I picked it up as well, traded in some old games for it. I'm loving it, definitely my fav of the series, aside from MKII. I've noticed though that the 360 controller is HORRIBLE for fighting games. I ordered one of the nicer Hori arcade sticks, so that should help. Some of the combos just require too fast an input than what's possible on a pad. If you reverse your hand and tap the buttons on top like you're playing an arcade it works, then it's impossible to hit block =\

Awesome game but if you're going to play a lot or be serious about it at all, get an arcade stick!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    I've finished the Story Mode and I'm a little over a third of the way through the Challenge Tower. Story Mode was nice. Really liked that there was no real transition between the cutscenes and the fights. That said... Curse you Shao Khan!

I agree with Joshua Stubbles about the 360 controller. I can barely make any attacks that require Back, Back or Forward, Forward motions with the stick (and Cyrax is one my favorite characters :(), have to move my thumb down to the control pad. Doesn't seem to be as bad for Down, Down motions but I guess that's just the difference in thumb motion.

For the next one I would like to see them integrate this type of Story Mode with Konquest Mode from Deception and Armageddon.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I actually was just about to make a topic for this since I hadn't seen one yet either and thought I couldn't possibly be the only polycounter that picked it up.

I'm loving it so far, there's so much to do. I've been playing it a ton since I got it and I haven't even scratched the surface. Netherrealm Studios really knocked it out of the park as far as content (kontent?) goes. Story mode is easily the best single player mode in a fighting game I've seen, and there's so much fan service that I can't possibly see anybody that was ever a fan of MK being disappointed.

And more importantly, the fighting system is great too. It's far more about timing and reacting to situations as opposed to memorizing long combo strings, which makes it a blast to play, while at the same time it really opens it self up the more you play. Utilizing the super meter depending on the situation makes a world of difference. Compared to how broken past MK games have been, I can see this one being used in tourneys.

Can already tell that this is easily the most value I've gotten in a game in a long time.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    It looks fucking awesome! Getting when i can :P
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    im awaiting my signed copy by my buddy at nether-realm studios :) So at the end of the month I will be uppercutting people to death! :D
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    ah, been playing the series since Mk3 with my cousins. wonderful games, really. i'll probably pick it up off of amazon with my 20$ credit from pre-ordering portal 2. If anyone gets the PS3 version, my screen name is HonkyPunch if you want to play.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    It's on it's way to my PS3 :) (Already got SSF4 on 360, thought I'd try and use a GOOD D-pad now :P) hopefully here next week!
    Add me on PSN: Skamberin
    I want to get my ass kicked :D
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't gotten to try very much of it yet. Mainly just played around in the Tutorial. (which was pretty useful) I want to get a decent handle on the basic moves before digging into the single-player mode. Also, Portal 2 has been taking up my time.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't really bothered with beat em ups for a loooong time. Last one I definately got involved in was MK2... I dabbled a bit with Virtua Fighter, Tekken and Soul Caliber (and Killer Instinct) but I never really got into them much.... I relented and ordered Mortal Kombat the other night...... really looking forward to playing it again :D