Home General Discussion

Camelot or Game of Thrones?

Replies

• Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Prophecies wrote: »
    I hope A Game of Thrones clears itself up a bit. For one who has read the books, it's great. For someone who has not... everything is the least bit confusing. What is the wall? What are the Wights/Others? Who's the fat guy? What's wrong with being a bastard? Why does the dwarf get all the women?

And most importantly of all? Why does Jaime push Bran out the window?

Never read the books, heck I didn't even watch the trailer or read up on the show, and I think I got what all those things you mentioned were, as its.. mentioned or shown in the first episode.

SPOILERS OF EP 1 AHEAD.

The wall is a border to the north of the seven kingdoms or something right? Guessing by the intro scene its filled with remnants of some kind of magic or supernatural shit, zombies and whatnot. Apparently the wight walkers are re-animated undead or crazy warrior people, no idea what the "Others" are though, maybe they re-animate the dead eh? Some kind of supernatural force at least, considering the living dead girl and the glowing eyes.

Fat guy is the king right? King of the area leading up to the wall and bordering the sea where across them crazy barbarian folk are, king of seven kingdoms.

And I guess being a bastard being "bad" has to do with the whole "pureblood" thing, he was born to another mother or father, so he's not purely within the family, which has probably been frowned upon since.. always, in regards to "royalty".

Dwarf gets all the women because despite his appearance he's charismatic, smart, royalty and has a ton of money the women were seemingly getting paid, not hard to follow :P

I'm PRETTY sure the reason Bran was pushed out the window was because he caught Queenie being banged from behind by her own brother, I doubt incest is consider "win"cest in this middle-aged world, and having someone go scream "the queen does her own brother!" would probably be horribly damaging and get people killed.

That's what I got, if it's all horribly wrong well, then I didn't follow, if it's all right; It's really not hard to follow :P

Also now I want to see Camelot and read the books :)
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Never read the books, heck I didn't even watch the trailer or read up on the show, and I think I got what all those things you mentioned were, as its.. mentioned or shown in the first episode.

SPOILERS OF EP 1 AHEAD.

The wall is a border to the north of the seven kingdoms or something right? Guessing by the intro scene its filled with remnants of some kind of magic or supernatural shit, zombies and whatnot. Apparently the wight walkers are re-animated undead or crazy warrior people, no idea what the "Others" are though, maybe they re-animate the dead eh? Some kind of supernatural force at least, considering the living dead girl and the glowing eyes.

Fat guy is the king right? King of the area leading up to the wall and bordering the sea where across them crazy barbarian folk are, king of seven kingdoms.

And I guess being a bastard being "bad" has to do with the whole "pureblood" thing, he was born to another mother or father, so he's not purely within the family, which has probably been frowned upon since.. always, in regards to "royalty".

Dwarf gets all the women because despite his appearance he's charismatic, smart, royalty and has a ton of money the women were seemingly getting paid, not hard to follow :P

I'm PRETTY sure the reason Bran was pushed out the window was because he caught Queenie being banged from behind by her own brother, I doubt incest is consider "win"cest in this middle-aged world, and having someone go scream "the queen does her own brother!" would probably be horribly damaging and get people killed.

That's what I got, if it's all horribly wrong well, then I didn't follow, if it's all right; It's really not hard to follow :P

Also now I want to see Camelot and read the books :)

Oh I'm totally aware. I'm an avid fan of the series. I'm just saying that for someone who hasn't read the books, it can get confusing. :)

Seems like you got the gist of it though! :D
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Gave Camelot 3 episodes. While it's kind of interesting it's.. honestly not in the same league as Game of Thrones, Not in cinematography, not in actors, not in effects and not in scope, imo.
    I may follow it further but honestly Game of Thrones has won my heart now.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    For me Game of Thrones has wonderful tension during episodes, I'm already at the point where I am hating and loving characters.

I get none of that from Camelot, I watch it and couldn't care less about any of the characters or what happens to them.
  • Matabus
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say who the clear winner is here. Us. And Game of Thrones.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    watched GoT and thought "meh" TBH, too much gratuitous sex and not enough immediate narrative to capture my interest.
    Ben catching up on the Borgias, that show seems like it could be awesome, already getting super epic w/ intrigue
  • Ben Apuna
    I'm two episodes into GoT, Camelot, and Borgias. So far all three have managed to capture my interest for now.

GoT: Seems to be a little less epic and very scattered than what I imagined from reading the books, but it's still early yet. I hope they've saved up enough money for extras or CG to make the battle scenes way more epic than the thirty - forty odd Dothraki we've seen wandering the plains would lead me to think they will be.

Camelot: I didn't like the first episode very much at all, but being bored I gave the second one a shot and I'd say that this show is growing on me. It's not great, though it seems to be a much more focused and cohesive story than GoT.

Borgias: Was a fairly slow start, but it's getting better as well. I also have a feeling it might turn out to be really awesome.
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    odium wrote: »
    Doctor Who > All.

This sat :)

^ This :)

but no, I have seen the the first episode of Game of Thrones and it's really good! I haven't heard of Camelot though, I will have to check it out...
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Apparently the wight walkers are re-animated undead or crazy warrior people, no idea what the "Others" are though, maybe they re-animate the dead eh? Some kind of supernatural force at least, considering the living dead girl and the glowing eyes.

Aren't the white walkers and the others the same thing? The others were renamed to white walkers for the tv series.

Great show though, I really like this kind of fantasy.
  • A-N-P
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    I've never read the GoT books (kinda wish I did) but I am really loving the show so far, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, I think the intro is awesome too! :P
  • markdienekes
    For me I'd have to say Game of Thrones is a lot better. I enjoyed the first couple of episodes of Camelot, but it has gone downhill since then - I can't quite put my finger on it but something it wrong with the series...
    hawken wrote: »
    Another thing I noticed is that a lot of the cast from Rome are in Camelot and Spartacus cast are in Game of Thrones. Seems like there was a real grab from HBO and Stars to pinch each others cast!

Really? For Camelot, I've only seen James Purefoy in it from Rome, and have seen no one from Spartacus in Game of Thrones...
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    holy crap!
    Viseris Targerian's "crowning" was brutally awesome!

can someone who's read the books please tell me, without spoiling "too much", whether Tyrion Lanister (the imp?) is as honerable as he seems? i mean... i realise he's likely to be pissed off at being held against his will for a crime he didn't commit. but i get the feeling if he finds out what really happened that he might side with the starks.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    holy crap!
    Viseris Targerian's "crowning" was brutally awesome!

can someone who's read the books please tell me, without spoiling "too much", whether Tyrion Lanister (the imp?) is as honerable as he seems? i mean... i realise he's likely to be pissed off at being held against his will for a crime he didn't commit. but i get the feeling if he finds out what really happened that he might side with the starks.

Tyrions definately one of the better ones. He's still a Lanister but not evil like Cersei (he's my personal favourite character in the whole series.)

Viseris really really deserved what he got.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well, i've been meaning to pick up the books, and i'm sure there's more to Viseris than is shown in the series. but even so, his actor portrayed him as a real insecure egomaniacal twat.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    well, i've been meaning to pick up the books, and i'm sure there's more to Viseris than is shown in the series. but even so, his actor portrayed him as a real insecure egomaniacal twat.

The books reinforce this. He also seems to have a thing about touching up / hurting his sister. Not a very nice boy.

You should read the books, they really are awesome.
  • Mir
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir polycounter lvl 6
    Game of Thrones is why i now love mondays.
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    i have been watching Game of thrones similar to how i read the book , By skypping or fast reading all the bits with Sansa, Cathelyn, the Daaahki, Bran and such. Shame on me i suppose, but otherwise i find it hard to watch it

Tyrion is great, I do enjoy Ned too,

Overall I love the costumes , i feel the dialogue is weird. but maybe its because ive read the books.. it just feel strange when u hear a exact line from the book,..

Well see what happen, it does go pretty quick tho, so that is nice.

I got to say that bit when that 12yeard kid was sucking is mom ( horrible looking women btw) tits , Was Disturbing, so did the man on man shaving action. Nightmare.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    You just talked your way out of a shave, cowboy.
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    dont be like that
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I didn't care much about Clegane until his brother came into the picture. God damn, I wasn't expecting that horse scene.
    I agree with Mir, I now look forward to mondays ;)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    awww fuck now i HAVE to go buy the books...

i feel bad for Ned, man... he was the best character in the series besides the imp.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    So who are the 3 morons that like Camelot more? :)

I'm on book 4 of the series now, I started reading them after episode 3 or 4 of the show because I had to have more. Big books, 1200 pages each but fantastic stuff so far, it continues to surprise and take you up out of the politics now and then in ways you don't expect and it stays brutal and unforgiving.

Tyrion forever!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Love the books! Love the series! I can't wait for the new book in July.

- BoBo
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    About to finish the first book now (been trying to keep up with the show..EXCITED TO FINALLY PASS IT IN THE BOOK) Once thing I really do love about this book so far (that the 1 star reviews in amazon hate) is how brutal and... well.. Unexpecting everything is. You expect people to live but they die, and you expect people to die but they live continuing their terror or their good wills.

I just have to say.

THE. GREAT. FUCKING. JON. SOOOO GOOOOOOD!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGqmY-cunJw[/ame]
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    holy crap!

That's exactly why iv always liked this series, there's no black and white, its all very grey. All you can ever really say about any character in this series is they all have their motives and goals, sides are almost irrelevant.

Got to say, little disappointed by the battles, or lack there of, but to be fair it would be tough to do it well with their budget, and id rather not see it than see a shitty half baked battle sequence. Most of their composting and FX are very well done though.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I have a question on the opening sequence. I know its visually artistic. But is there any basis on the books? Like is their world a dyson sphere? Or is that how they see their universe?

As you watch the map curves up and the sun analogy/theme is in the middle (though how they would have dawn/dusk, I do not know).
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Oxy - It's not based on anything specific from the books, no. The world definitely isn't on a dyson sphere or anything (or if it is it's never come up to my knowlege).

I think it's just something that looks cool. They were inspired by ancient machines or something.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/how-virtual-cog-driven-machines-made-game-of-thrones-awesome/
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i like how they slowly expand the locations in the title sequence to reflect the expanding story.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Ya i've noticed they showthe areas in the opening that are relevant to the episode. The first season is almost over :X I hope they don't wait too long to start the seecond!
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I just finished the first book. . . Right when I read the last words, I screamed at the top of my lungs. "WHAAAAT THE FUUUUUUUUCK?!?!".

This is gonna be the best season finale evar.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Only 1 more ep before the break :(((
  • eld
  • slipsius
    finally watched game of thrones yesterday and today. I always thought it was just another roman type show. but when a friend said it was its own story all together, i checked it out. got hooked quickly. now i gotta wait for episode 10 to go up online. :( so so sooo good. was NOT expecting the last 5 seconds of episode 9...
  • MasteroftheFork
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    That finally was damn good. So much build up for epic things to come! Can the next season start now please?

ps. that video eld posted makes me happy
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's not out til 10pm today here in england.

so i'll torrent it now :D
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    That finally was damn good. So much build up for epic things to come! Can the next season start now please?

ps. that video eld posted makes me happy

Agreed. I'm going to have to go buy the book to keep my fix sustained.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    gonna get caught up on vacation this week.
    My girlfriends gonna hate me
  • almighty_gir
  • Mir
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir polycounter lvl 6
    Just finshed the last episode and damn that was awesome, possible the best show i ever seen.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Last night's episode was awesome. Next spring feels like an eternity :)
  • Talbot

This is what I was thinking like every episode.

I was waiting for this to end before I watched it. I went through the entire season in 24 hours. IT WAS AWESOME!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    That's exactly why iv always liked this series, there's no black and white, its all very grey. All you can ever really say about any character in this series is they all have their motives and goals, sides are almost irrelevant.

This is why I gave up on game of thrones(the books), if I want shades of gray I will watch the 8 o clock news, in a fantasy book I want good and evil defined in at least some way or really its not fantasy its just reality dressed in fantasy outfits. Ill still watch the tv series just cause its less annoying than having to read a whole book and be disappointed.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well, there's still a few slightly defined good and evil roles aren't there?

I mean, lannisters are with some exceptions the current dicks from what has been shown on tv (with that being unsure of the future & the books), and the starks are mostly the bunch you want to root for.

You have those roles, it helps you pick people you want to care about.
    But then you also have characters like tyrion lannister who despite being a lannister is truly awesome and someone you really love to like.

And on top of that everyone isn't perfect, they all have their bad sides, or good sides. That is what really makes this interesting.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    A point related to Ged's post is that this fantasy style doesn't come off as an attempt at realism as much as an attempt at subverting the cliches for the sake of subversion. I haven't read the books (yet), so I'll reserve final judgement, but I've seen it play out in other books. Good example is Joe Abercrombie's "First Law" trilogy, which more or less went for a complete bad end for the hell of it. At some point it feels more like the author is flicking your ear and laughing at you rather than being serious.
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I hope they break the next series to cover half the second book, there is just too much to cover properly. I seem to remember the second book being massive and i would hate for them to start skipping story after doing so well in season one.

dfacto : Read the books :)
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Hell yes I will!

But considering the author said the end of the saga is "everyone dies" I'm thinking the journey will be better than the destination on this one. (As with most books really, except more depressing)
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Martin breaks the clich
  • sheckee
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    Game of Thrones is better though I enjoy Camelot too.

Recently got to sit on a Game of Throne's Throne, was pretty excited!

image.php?2e3a28e08f.jpg2jb9t28.jpg
    image.php?2e3a28e08f.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    eld wrote: »
    Well, there's still a few slightly defined good and evil roles aren't there?

I mean, lannisters are with some exceptions the current dicks from what has been shown on tv (with that being unsure of the future & the books), and the starks are mostly the bunch you want to root for.

You have those roles, it helps you pick people you want to care about.
    But then you also have characters like tyrion lannister who despite being a lannister is truly awesome and someone you really love to like.

And on top of that everyone isn't perfect, they all have their bad sides, or good sides. That is what really makes this interesting.

I can see where Ged is coming from, but i mostly just meant that no one is really evil just for stories sake. "well someone has to be evil, so your it, we don't care why"

As an example in the second/third? book there are chapters from Queen Cerseis' point of view. Now she is definitely a bitch, but it at least lets you see where shes coming from, how paranoid she is, and how she just wants to protect her son(even if he is a cunt) I find it just adds more dimensionality to characters.

Joffery would be the closest thing to a pure villian. or the whitewalkers.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    I can see where Ged is coming from, but i mostly just meant that no one is really evil just for stories sake. "well someone has to be evil, so your it, we don't care why"

As an example in the second/third? book there are chapters from Queen Cerseis' point of view. Now she is definitely a bitch, but it at least lets you see where shes coming from, how paranoid she is, and how she just wants to protect her son(even if he is a cunt) I find it just adds more dimensionality to characters.

Joffery would be the closest thing to a pure villian. or the whitewalkers.

I'd have said it was Cersie. She raised Joffery to be a hateful shit. I dont think she particularly cares for her family beyond their facility to provide her with a route to power. In 'A Feast for Crows'
    you see how badly she's willing to treat Tommen so that she can get her way, she's ruthless, powerhungry and self centered. Her attitude to Kevan, Lancel, and Jamie when they dont co operate with her schemes is pretty telling.