Home Technical Talk

Strange artifacts on my modular pieces

I am getting some strange white lines on my pieces as you move away from the set. I am using a realtime shader in 3ds max and I am also getting this affect inside of UDK. I am just not sure what is doing this. I have adjusted the uv's but I am still getting the same problem. Hopefully someone has ran into this problem before... any suggestions?
a5b3fl.jpg
2ytz76r.jpg

Replies

• polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I just fixed it... I had my uv's almost all the way to the edge of the texture space. I scaled the face to about half the size and it fixed it. So am thinking my problem is back in photoshop... does that make sense? I think I remember something about not having the texture space all the way to the edge of the texture image... just not sure.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to dilate your texture edges and leave enough space between uv islands. In addition to that, never have just black or white between your texture islands, use a colour that's close to the texture itself.

At least, I suspect that's what's happening here. Lower level mipmaps taking pixels from outside of your uv islands, possibly from neighbouring islands.