Home General Discussion

Sandbox Editor Crytek

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
Hey does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Sandbox editor without having to but the game? I went to the one and only official mod site and its down for maintenance saying to be back by the 22nd of April. Does anyone know if there is a simple way of getting it? Thanks..

Replies

• blackwaffle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have to buy it to get the engine. But still...just pick up a copy of the game offa ebay/steam for cheap/when its on sale. It's what I did.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're also releasing a free version of it this summer, similar to UDK.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Are you talking Cryengine 2? Or Cryengine 3? If you're talking about Cryengine 3 it doesn't come with Crysis 2, and is not publically available at all yet.

If you're talking about Cryengine 2, I'm fairly sure you don't need Crysis to use it. Apparently you can get away with downloading the editor and using the free demo. I'm not 100% sure.

Regardless, you should wait for Crytek to release the free version of Cryengine 3. Cryengine 2 hasn't been supported by Crytek for years. If you're running anything above 3DS Max 10, you won't be able to bring custom models into the engine.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah if you want the old one check this post from this thread out.

EDIT:

Hmm... looks as though the patch and SDK links are gone. Did a little searching, here's a new link to the 1.5 patch.

I'm attempting to upload the SDK files to Mediafire. I'll update when it's up there.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok you can get the Crysis Wars Mod SDK files here.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Why wouldn't you want to buy Crysis1? It's ~10$ brand new.

Yes, you do need Crysis1 to use SandBox2, or Crysis Warhead. (Which has a slighlty newer version of the editor)

For SandBox3 (Editor that we used on Crysis 2), you will need a copy of Crsis 2 PC and wait a few weeks until we release the editor with the SDK.

PS. If i'm not mistaken, Crysis1 PC demo had a editor, but it's very buggy and old, I wouldn't use it.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    and then there's the issue of exporting content from 3d packages for cryengine2. last time i tried i had to install max 9(?) because i couldn't find an exporter for newer versions.

maybe that has changed though, i'm not sure :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    From what I remember you can use the editor with the crysis 1 demo.

Do not buy warhead it does not come with the editor, and a editor for warhead was not relased even tough they said they would.(I did buy it)

But I think they relased a newer one for crysis wars.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Latest version of Max you need is 2008 for Crysis 1 and Max 2009 for Crysis Wars. Max 2010 and or -9 is not supported.

Crysis 2 will get it's SDK soon enough, although if it's anything like the firs one, I suggest to wait out for some patches.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, the export from Max pipeline issue is what really killed it for me too.

Hopefully the next version will import OBJ, FBX, COLLADA, along with standard image formats directly. That way people aren't bound to any specific software.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Argh, don't remind me. It was already a pain not getting half of my assets to work because I did something wrong in my exportation process, but lack of support was pretty much uncalled for...I guess they atleast supported Max 2009, but it's wasn't all that dandy.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    [HP] wrote: »
    For SandBox3 (Editor that we used on Crysis 2), you will need a copy of Crsis 2 PC and wait a few weeks until we release the editor with the SDK.

Ah boo, that makes me regret getting the game on PS3 :/