Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critics on university portfolio

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mikhga polycounter lvl 8
Hi!

I'm applying to a few Universities this spring in order to get a degree in game development, and some of the schools require portfolios in order to get in, as a way to show your creativity, and you're not really expected to have any previous 3D/2D experience, although that's a plus.

And I've put together a portfolio which I'm going to mail them on a CD, hence the .pdf, and I'd like to get your opinions on it. Of course since I'm a beginner and completely self-learned it's not of any high quality, but I hope it should get me into one of the schools at least.

I've got more work samples to put in it, but this is the version I'm gonna send to one of the schools, which specified you only send in 5 work samples. The models are pretty shitty compared to what you otherwise see on this forum, but I'd like to get your opinions on the layout the most and whether or not you think it'll pass or not.

Link: http://www.blackmamba.se/portfolio.pdf

Thanks!

Replies

• Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Those are some big maps for the props :) I would try make them smaller if you wanna impress them but then again, they might see the opportunity to teach you something about resolution. ^^
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Ok.

In terms of creativity, you aren't showing any. At all.

Take an everyday (roughly human size please) object and put a new spin on it. What you have shown here only shows a minimal understanding of 3D modeling and textureing on the technical side.

Now that you are beginning to understand the basics, go ahead and challenge your self.

Best of luck!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    not bad. not bad at all.. like Cexar said tho, make those maps smaller.. id say maybe about 512. 2k is way too big.
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, indeed they are. Since these models were simply created for fun I wasn't really concerned with the map sizes. But do you think that's something they would care about? I mean since the work I've seen other people send in have been of the same quality and even below.
  • 7mch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7mch polycounter lvl 8
    I am sure you won't have any problems. You did some great work and reasearch and every uni would be happy to have some more students like you. (At least in the UK). Just resize your maps and include some sketches.
    Good luck!!
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everything is pretty boring however the university will probably accept it they want your money anyways.
  • Wombatinahat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aye you probably want to quarter those map sizes. tho to be honest its not something a uni enrolment person is going to be looking to closely at. should be fine to get onto a course I would have thought but once your on it you should start thinking more about what will actually get you a job at the end of it. good luck
  • afk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    afk
    Hey man. I did a university game art course too. I managed to get a job and i'm now an environment artist for a living.

Some of these peices are good but the first thing i'd says is your map sizes are enormous. Those 2048 should be 512's or smaller for peices that size, there's basically no need to have them that big. You said you are using the source engine - have a look at the sizes of the maps on some of the objects in HL2 (although it's a few years old now).

The gas canister looks good. The texture on the ammo crate is a bit noisy. Also do you need reflection maps on objects that basically don't have reflections/strong specular?

If you're looking to get on a course, remember to practice your hand/traditional drawing a lot, they will be looking for students with good art skills not just technical ones :)
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the comments, I really appropriate it! I'll see about scaling down those textures, and I'll update this thread when I've got some more content.