Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Mario Ramos - 3D artist

Hello everyone!

I am finishing my last year in school and we are about to start sending out our portfolios to game companies here in sweden to apply for internship. My main interest is actually texture work, modeling and particles (which I am currently working in our game).

My group is currently working on a FPS game which will hopefully generate a few more images for the portfolio. Unfortunately we dont have that much time (only until next week!) so any critiques of things I could change quickly are most welcome!

I am using Deviant arts portfolio creation website but I am not 100% happy about it. I tried Carbonmade, webs and just a bit of Wordpress.

If you guys could take a look and give some critiques I would really appreciate it!

www.marioramos.se

Once again, thanks for your time! :D Have a nice weekend!

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I'm curently using a a tumblr theme for my portfolio. I think it works pretty good..

I think you have cut up your work to much. I have to click allot and move my mouse all over the place, yeah i'm lazy. No, but srsly. As little clicking as possible is to prefer..

You have some textures that's straight from philipK tutorial, which puts all of your other textures in the "is this also just a plane tutorial copy"-highlight..

All over i think you need to work more with you textures in the texture section. They'r very plane and don't really have any material definition. Maybe harsh but it's by honest opinion.

I like your character, the texture turned out great. Though you should clean up you mesh. The stomach is all uneven, makes no sense. The feet is still quite dense. And the inside of the legs have super big faces. In my book, uneven tessellation on mesh - bad. But, it's a easy fix..

Lycka till med sökandet! :)
  • Mr.Wednesday
    Hey sltrOlsson!

Yeah, youre right... It takes quite a few clicks to get around, Ive been trying to find a nice website to make it different but I didnt find anything... I do have a tumblr account though but I couldnt see your portfolio, I just see a page called "myarticle.com" ? Or was that the template?

As for the textures, youre right, maybe I should take them out and put something else I made for the game so it doesnt give the idea that I just "stole" it.

As for the textures and the character, I want to finish them and tweak the topology of the character but my deadline in school was tight and I had to finish the character for school... Hopefully Ill do it now in the weekend...

Ive been a bit into freakout mode lately. Finishing the game, having to publish a portfolio, company visits and having to apply to all the companies... Argh! :P But hopefully it will all be worth it! :)

Tack s
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, i know how it is. Been there with all the applying and all that shit - and faild. So yeah, it's good that you put in the sixth gear :)

I'm sorry, i didn't check my last port. The address is http://nyhlen.tumblr.com/ there were an m to little..

As a general tips, if you want to get into more texturing. Give your self the 5-10 hardest textures you can think of and make them as good as you can. Research it, look at tutorials. Use that, but don't copy stuff right over. Copy workflow is one thing, if you learn it, but if the end result looks pretty much the same. I think you've failed. If you want to learn the technique that is :) Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's super good to copy a texture a 100% just to get the feel for it..
  • Serp
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I would make the art work more accessible. And on my laptop it's pretty small.