Home Technical Talk

3ds max solid chamfer script ?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Noors greentooth
Has it been done this way ?
I know the meshtools scripts from Laszlo Sebo, but it does more like an inset. It still needs do be tweaked manually. So far, the connect method is still the fastest.

solidchamfer.jpg
The bottom cube is a bit nonsense, but it would be this tool behavior i guess.
Cheers !

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    hmm would be nice, that is actually one of the reasons why i dumped max 3ds found the connect a bit clunky to use when you want quickly make support loops compared to how it works in silo and maya/
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    swiftloop is swifter than connect. :)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    ah...
    shouldn't have hidden those graphite tools. Still I'd rather like to have a tool working like the chamfer, with an offset parameter and number of segments.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    there is a script you have to pay for called Edge-Chex, it has it's moments and can be useful but the demo is gimped to encourage you to pay for it, which is precisely what a bad demo will encourage you not to do.

try it out, maybe it works for what you need.

there's also a script in meshtools (search scriptspot for 'meshtools') that allows you to chamfer and keep the original edge. it shouldn't bee too much hassle to rig up an options box and a spinner, as it's default behaviour is to drag on the mesh itself.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    i like how when you type Edge-Chex in google, all the links but the first link to warez (and a polycount thread :) ). It looks good tho, i'll make further tests to see if it's robust.
    Thank you !
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can extrude edges to do this. Mess around with edge extrude and check it out.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    you can do it with edge extrude with a height set to 0 in most cases, but it'd take an extra step or two to get quite the same effect in these particular cases. But among swiftloop, connect, and extrude you should be able to get used to it if you're too cheap to shell out 40 bucks for that other script.

I'd figure there would be a more watered down version that had the most basic implementation of a solidchamfer. Im very surprised how hard it is to find :(