Home General Discussion

/ballistic/ publishing, worth the cash?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
So folks came into a little money and i thought i'd expand my library a little. I've been pondering over ballistic books, d'artiste in perticular.

~Character design

And ethier a character modeling or a Digital painting issue. I'm sure that a few PC'ers own or even have their names in these.
So before i fork out for them i wanted to know if there worth the price tag?

Thanks for any help on it.

Replies

• XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Personally the flash version on the website does me right. ahahaha
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    If you are someone who appreciates a hard copy in your hands, then it is definitely worth it. LOADS of amazing artwork. I particularly LOVE the art of uncharted 2, and the art of God of War 3.

I'm a total bookovore. I eat books for breakfast. E-copies don't do it for me.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I recently started looking into art books. The great thing about going to an art school that has a great digital program is that our library has just about every "art of " book there is. I currently have the art of god of war 3 on my desk right now. It is great!

Check out this site for reviews.

http://parkablogs.com/node/8

http://parkablogs.com/content/book-review-art-of-god-of-war-iii
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    They're fantastic, and are very pretty to look at.

Careful though! Many people I know bought these books assuming they would get hot tips and such about modeling, only to then sell it me for a low price.

As once a Pro-Tip said: Shoot it till it dies.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    They're fantastic, and are very pretty to look at.

Careful though! Many people I know bought these books assuming they would get hot tips and such about modeling, only to then sell it me for a low price.

As once a Pro-Tip said: Shoot it till it dies.

Shhhh!

There are loads of hot tips. If you don't like it, you can sell it to me for a low price! ;)

I kid, I kid.
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went with Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 and really love the quality. This is their best range if you ask me ^^ Although for the Uncharted 2 I bought after scouring the net for the artwork. If you look hard enough, (e.g. Hanno Hagedorn's homepage) you will find all the source material in the book at larger resolutions. But still a good 'read' >:p
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I adore hardcopies of artwork <3

I have digital masters Vol 5' (planning on back tracking vol's)

All of Bridgman's work, Shepards too for anatomy. For personal fav's i have the How to train your Dragon artbook and for the oban star racers, theres a few others lying around the place ;D

So thats a yes then, good good i was just wondering about there quality :D

God of war looks so very pretty ;o Might go no my to buy list ;)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Love the 2 ballistic books I have. Art of Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. Bought them both from the ballistics website itself which was a mistake. They were both on Amazon for 20 bucks less : / I wouldnt be surprised if you could find that on Amazon or ebay for a cheaper price.

Love there books and will buy more, just not for the super high prices off there website. Amazon is the only way to buy!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Ive learned something from the Ballistic Books.

Character art = breast
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    whats_true wrote: »
    Ive learned something from the Ballistic Books.

Character art = breast

Don't forget big-lumpy neck stumps! Don't worry, it's not cancer, just pure testosterone ooze baby!
  • Emperors Teeth
    Hey, I know that cover art! Liliana Vess from Magic the Gathering!

I have Character Modelling 1-3, and actually learned something useful in the second one from the Gears of War section. I recommend these books as very nice additions to the shelf at the very least.