Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pflegeheim Wolfenstein (UDK)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
01bc.jpg

Hi guys! This is my first thread here so I'm very nervous heheh :poly124:

This is my latest work with UDK, it's based on a concept from Wolfenstein and it's supposed to be a nursery house inside the castle, I used a unique 2048x2048 texture and I modeled it in 3DsMax and textured in Photoshop, It took me a couple of weeks and I'm really proud of the result but any critic and comment is very welcome.

Concept art:
50707668.jpg

Screenshot 01:
cgt02.jpg

Screenshot 02:
cgt03.jpg

Textures: ( real size is 2048x2048 )

texturesg.jpg

This is the Last video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K53tCzlRy0s[/ame]

Cheers!!

Replies

• Kurry
    Hey man that is a nice looking environment ! You've captured the architecture really well.

The only critique I can add is that it seems that your scene is missing some shadow information. Is your ambient occlusion checked on? The part you can really tell is underneath your wheelchairs.

Good job overall nonetheless !
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah! you're right Kurry I didn't notice the ambient oclussion was disabled on the floor, I'm checking it out :)

Thanks mate!

Cheers!
  • Samfisher84
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    yeah really nicely done. I dont know what but feels like there could be something more going on in the textures, something broken. Really great choice of environment , just love those games
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    I found the problem, it was the ambient oclussion, It was disabled so now they're the true renders from UDK.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Cheers!
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Looking great! Few things I notice are:
    *The wood in your scene (around the pillars, help desk and wall panels) looks really dark and causes it to lose a lot of detail. They are now just huge black panels which my eyes tend to skip past when looking at the images, which is a shame.

*The big red flag is a completely different story, I feel like it's being lit to much and screams for attention. It was the second things I noticed in the scene while you'd expect it to be a detail(first thing was the little sign saying Pflegeheim.
    Also, I'm not sure if the white highlights work for a red fabric? It gives it a plastic look.

*You used a more white/yellow lighting while the concept art uses a more greenish lighting. This might be a personal preference of course, but I feel like the greenish light does give a more sinister look to the overall picture.

Other than that I really like your scene, it has a nice sense of scale to it. I'd say a really nice first thread :D
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Brighten you lamps on the wall and make them alot more yellow. Look at the concept. And your shadows in the concept is much more bright. I would say play around with you post-process chain until it looks right.

Keep it up!
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE!

Thanks for your critics guys, I've been working with the textures, postprocess and with the lights and the result it's up there now.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This is really nice! You should package an .exe so folks can run around it, or at least a video of it in motion.
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    This is really nice! You should package an .exe so folks can run around it, or at least a video of it in motion.

Thanks Cholden! I will look into a video capturing program to make a short video, I tried long time ago Camtasia but I don't know why but it always bring me some kind slow motion videos hahah

Cheers!!
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This is very lovely work! However, the scale of the corridor at the back doesn't look quite right, it almost doesn't look like a corridor and more of an alcove. Part of the charm of the concept art, for me, is that corridor leading off. Very nice work!
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Hey this looks nice here are a couple things I see:

Lighting is very soft, everything feels mushy, would be nice to see brighter spots around lightsources and some more defined shadows.

Your lightmap res looks too low, I see lightmap pixes everywhere.

You should put some fog sheets and add subtle heightfog to the level to give a sense of depth and color shift over distance.

1 2048 for the whole scene is rather low, you're going to end up with pretty low pixel res with that.

Some of the columns look like they just have 4 sides, and they alias, it would be better to have a chamfer there or even process a highpoly mesh.
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW wrote: »
    Hey this looks nice here are a couple things I see:

Lighting is very soft, everything feels mushy, would be nice to see brighter spots around lightsources and some more defined shadows.

Your lightmap res looks too low, I see lightmap pixes everywhere.

You should put some fog sheets and add subtle heightfog to the level to give a sense of depth and color shift over distance.

1 2048 for the whole scene is rather low, you're going to end up with pretty low pixel res with that.

Some of the columns look like they just have 4 sides, and they alias, it would be better to have a chamfer there or even process a highpoly mesh.

Hey, thanks dude!

Yeah... you're right with the lightmap resolution but when I started the scene I didn't know that I will make it that bigger but I'm very happy with the result.

The colums have a chamfer and they're all with the same smoothing group so the problem can't be that.

And I agree with the fog, could be pretty cool, I'll try it.

Cheers!
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! This is my first test with Camtasia, I hope you like it. I'll make another one much better.

Cheers!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzn2ODBpWNw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzn2ODBpWNw[/ame]
  • feanix
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice work man. How are you doing the reflection on the tiles? It looks a bit ... odd.
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix wrote: »
    Really nice work man. How are you doing the reflection on the tiles? It looks a bit ... odd.

It's a fake reflection, it's just a cube map based on the scene.
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys! I'm working a lot with this and I'm enjoying it so much! :)

I added the height fog and I change the cubemap of the floor, now it looks much better also I'm adding some decals to make little less monotone the scene and adding new meshes like curtains, beds and plants.

I hope tonight I can fix everything and make a nice video.

Thanks a lot guys!

You rock!!

69027062.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    in that last screen the wood at the bottom of the wall looks almost black, can you lighten that up a bit? excellent work :)
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay!! I did it! heheh

Thank you again guys! :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlF6yq7O4-I[/ame]

Now... I have to think about my next environment.

Cheers!!
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey this is looking super nice, and you did a great homeage to the concept as well.

I'd say to get a bit more of the hospital feel, I would try and get more greens into your overall scene, and if you really wanted to, maybe add a couple more "filler" props like scattered magazine on the floor etc.

I know you're probbably calling this one done for now, no worries :) I WOULD however do a proper camrea flythrough in UDK since you've gone through all this trouble to make a scene, might as well have nice smooth flythrough instead of the mouse and keyboard recording :)

Great job man :)
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the support! I will make another one with more props! heheh

And just to let you know CGTALK (I paid the premium account) declined my environment (at first I really was sad but now I'm very happy to see the support of you guys), they told me this:

VictorSantos,

We are sorry, but your recent art submission to the CGTalk Gallery has been declined.
    Your image is still hosted on your CGPortfolio.
    ("Pflegeheim Wolfenstein, Victor Santos (3D)")

We at CGSociety.org would like to offer encouragement for your next submission.

Your submission has been declined for the following reason(s):
    * We're very sorry to let you know that this work does not yet meet our standards as a completed piece for the Showcase Gallery. We'd like to encourage you to post your work in the WIP forum to develop it further before submitting it again.

The CGSociety Crew
    http://www.cgsociety.org/

Great huh? heheh
  • SergioSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    SergioSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Your environment looks great!
    lets add some more props and it will be superb.
    congrats!
  • bonds0097
    Hey Victory, CGTalk is rejecting stuff left and right these days, I wouldn't worry about it. Great work!
  • SergioSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    some props I've been thinking about:
    crates, oxygen canisters, gas masks, bottles with alcohol/medicine, bandages, surgery tools, scalpels, saline solutions (serum), buckets, camber pots...

lots of stuff that would make it more alive.

...and some particles like floating dust would be awesome.
    :poly142:
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I've been looking for props like you said and these are my main references:

mainprops.jpg

If you want to give me some ideas for more props just tell me!

I hope you like it!

Cheers!
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    wow man, congratulations on your enviro. its shaping up perfect.
    only thing i can say is about the lighting, as someone pointed out. why dont you make another version, with a greener one? and put both side by side, to see which one stands better.

other than that, i have nothing to say. trully inspiring work :D
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 wrote: »
    wow man, congratulations on your enviro. its shaping up perfect.
    only thing i can say is about the lighting, as someone pointed out. why dont you make another version, with a greener one? and put both side by side, to see which one stands better.

other than that, i have nothing to say. trully inspiring work :D

Thanks for the kind words buddy! I appreciate it :) I will make the "greener version" so we can compare the lighting in a proper way.

Kind regards!
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool man-
    you have the blood splats and everything. You make the Wolf universe proud.
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    pretty cool man-
    you have the blood splats and everything. You make the Wolf universe proud.

Woah!

It's a great honor to be commented like that from a guy that worked on Wolfenstein, thanks dude!

If you know the name of the guy who make the concept just tell me, I don't know his name to put it on the post as my main reference.

Thanks a lot! I'll make you proud :)
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Im not entierly sure who made that concept- I believe that's from the multilayer which was outsourced to Endrant. Wolfenstein dev was pretty crazy.
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates!

01bc.jpg
    02bh.jpg
    03bx.jpg
    04bn.jpg
    05bq.jpg
    06ba.jpg

I'm still making a few more props and working with the lights.

Cheers!!
  • SergioSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking better and better
    I'd love to see a video with matinee
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there!!

I added some more props and details to the scenario and I changed the lighting of the "beds zone".

So this is it:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K53tCzlRy0s[/ame]

Thank you all for the support and the comments.

Cheers!
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    wonderful job vic. as said before, a perfect homeage to the concept. :D
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 wrote: »
    wonderful job vic. as said before, a perfect homeage to the concept. :D

The green lights became a big part of the environment, really makes a nice contrast with the rest of the scene and gives a lot of "Hospital atmosphere", thanks dude!

Cheers! :)
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm wondering if I should keep constructing the scenario with another corridor through the metal door of the end...

I found this artwork on internet but I don't know where it came from.
    63279.jpg

And these are the final shots of the scenario with the balaustrade of the second floor, the bookstands and all the new props:

67486157.jpg
    25086960.jpg
    98862461.jpg
    97077486.jpg
    19329369.jpg
    49439043.jpg
    36008392.jpg

Any critic or comment is very welcome!

Cheers!
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont know if its a perspective problem, but the photograph and the clock on the wall look like both are decals aplied on it (you notice they are not because of the edges).

if you make them a bit thicker i think they would look nicer :)
  • SergioSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they seems like decals bcause there is no shadow so it doesn't integrate those elements with the back wall.

I' like to be able to go to the top floor, maybe you can add a staircase to go upstairs
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    indeed, that's the problem with bsp cubes (same problem im having). but i dont think a damaged pillar would fit his design. he could make it a biy more roundy, but not more than that.

edit: okay now that i look i dont think it's bsp. dumb of the year for me xD
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah.. I was thinking about it and I'll make a couple of versions of the pillar because I really don't know why is happening this... I gotta work with it.

And yes, they're not BSPs but it can be made with them so It's another solution to the problem.

I love the idea of the stairs but I don't know where I can put it because I like the corner with the wooden crates but maybe I can make it in the middle (where the clock is), I have to study the space to see if it's possible.

Thanks people!! I'm having a lot of fun with this enviro. :)

Cheers!!
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The thing thats letting it down for me atm, and maybe this is just me nitpicking, but there are seams... EVERYWHERE. Its almost like every single curve/wall has a seam on it? If they are mesh, you hsould have spent a couple extra tris and made the seam on the flat part, would have made it less obvious.

Otherwise looks fantastic, a little low poly in some spots, but otherwise good.
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

I'm glad you like it, Thanks Odium!

It's been a busy weekend but I was thinking about the space for the stairs and I'm afraid I can't place it unless I figure something out...

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there! I've been pretty busy but I think I got an idea for the stairs, I made a few more props and modular parts and finally I got the solution thinking about the space I have... Maybe I should put another upstairs on the right.

stairsr.jpg

What do you think?
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! I finally found the artist who made the concept for the game, his name is Cesar Rizo and he's a pretty cool guy :)

http://www.rizogallery.com

I'll make a few tweaks with the lights of the environment to make it lil' bit greener than now.

Cheers!!
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    This looks incredible. How did you go about splitting this up into modular chunks? Or did you assemble it in 3ds Max first? Or are you using BSP? So many questions!
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP wrote: »
    This looks incredible. How did you go about splitting this up into modular chunks? Or did you assemble it in 3ds Max first? Or are you using BSP? So many questions!

Hi PogoP! Well... from the beginning I calculate the space I need and divide it in 32/64 squares on grid I made a picture of what we need (in terms of space in the texture sheet)in a piece of paper and I made a list of objects and modular pieces of the scenario.

I'm not using any BSPs but maybe It could a nice idea for the floor, walls, etc. but I'm pretty happy with the result of the modular pieces.

This is the texture sheet, including the cubemap for the reflections:

texturesfinal.jpg

I'll try to make some screenshots of the modular pieces and props.

Cheers!!
  • VictorSantos
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! This is a special post... The complete Set and props of the environment!

I Hope you like it!

Cheers! :)

24760013.jpg62685760.jpg
    87387853.jpg
    36776057.jpg
    28801203.jpg
    91147185.jpg
    98143707.jpg
  • Orb
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with the weird shadow on the pillars and the miss of some bevels to catch the lights. but btw, this is looking great! Nice atmosphere Thanks for showing your modulating props.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    wow. absolutely amazing work! thanks for showing the modular props. :D im curious also to see your light setup for the scene as well. :D did you use the emissive lighting settings for the candles on the walls, or are those just simple pointlights.
  • beancube
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Love the work, the map looks awesome.

Next time in all seriousness you don't need the water mark especially since your not uploading the original texture files, besides that no one can really used your textures they would have to replicate everything you did, which could be next to impossible.

What you did on the first post is fine to show off your maps, just saying, good work.