Home General Discussion

The Street Art Thread

Anyone do street art here on Polycount or has an interest in it? I know Polycount is all about art and such and wondered if we should have our very own Street Art thread.

I'll start off with some my work.

4aewj44aewhu

Replies

• JacqueChoi
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    my town is pretty bare :/

but, I make stuff and put em in random places

steekars.png

i'm out of these at the moment.
    faecez.png
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    This is one of my favorite works, it's not traditional street art, but it's so cool!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuGaqLT-gO4[/ame]
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    here's the TED talk with a french artist about street art. worth a watch!

http://www.ted.com/talks/jr_s_ted_prize_wish_use_art_to_turn_the_world_inside_out.html
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    I saw something like this in our local paper, couldn't find the exact shot but it was something along the lines of this, stunning!

article-0-055FE6DC000005DC-734_964x525.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I've always wanted to print something out like that, I figure it shouldn't be too hard with 3d software.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    nice! Props to Klump and Daphz! Makin the urban world a more interesting place one sticker at a time

I havent done anything like this in almost a year, but here's some of the stickers I made when I was living in seattle.

morestickaz.jpg

stickazzzz.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    ferg you magnificent bastard those are AWESOME.
    here's some more from me, on cardboard.

moreshiiiieeeetttt.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Its something I've always wanted to do but never done.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow great stuff daphz and Ferg! I use wallpaper glue and paper to use and then stick them on walls. Most of my art hasn't been taken down in months now.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    M2,I didnt know this what we meant"street art". I heard of this but its a misdemeanor to post these where I used to live so that ended that. Always thought it was cool to see these though. So alot of ppl get arrested tryna do these.

There is a difference between Vandalism and wheat paste or gluing art to walls. Wheat pasting deteriorates the art eventually while vandalism stays forever. What I do is legal. Vandalism isn't the best means for art.

I can only see street artist doing vandal street art if they have gained some reputation.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, moar please
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    I just watched Exit From the Gift Shop, got me all excited about street art. I have seen some of these images before, really interesting stuff, recommend the movie! Love looking at some of this street art.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz wrote: »
    I just watched Exit From the Gift Shop, got me all excited about street art. I have seen some of these images before, really interesting stuff, recommend the movie! Love looking at some of this street art.

Right after I watched that I went out and did some tagging. It was very freeing.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    I've never made any street art myself, but Ted gave me one of his stickers and I put it up in Hollywood :)

IMG_0426.jpg
  • ibarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8
    Keen wrote: »
    I've never made any street art myself, but Ted gave me one of his stickers and I put it up in Hollywood :)

lol, I think i remember seeing that one. I live right down the street from there.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There is a difference between Vandalism and wheat paste or gluing art to walls. Wheat pasting deteriorates the art eventually while vandalism stays forever.

100% legal in every state?
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    hell yeah Keen! Was lookin for that pic earlier but couldnt find it :)

10x extra awesome that another polycounter saw it, wonder how long it stayed up for?

love the rainbow color dude in your last pic daphz
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I've always loved being able to spot the same artists stuff ever since I was younger and noticed the same 'TOX'03' along british rail lines around London. (I think the latest I've seen was 'TOX'10'... Haven't seen a new tag in a while...) Also Seeing Invader's work around London without really knowing what it was, until I did a graphic art project in school on videogames in art. So yeah as Banksy became popular I read into that as much as I could, and it led me to learn about many other London artists.

I like being able to spot an artists piece, especially if I havn't seen it before, and I think big colourful graffiti improves areas. Like alot of people (I imagine!) I always wanted to have a go, so I did. I made a stencil of a guy riding a t-rex based off a joke me and my friends had and went out on one of my last nights in hall's and stuck it about. It was fun and a little thrilling - my small taste of street art, haha.

Anyway I had it as my avatar on a bunch of forums, only changed my polycount avatar the other day. I'll have to find the original picture!

6NcdS.jpg

Edit: Everyone in this thread should read NAWLZ! It's like if Phillip K Dick wrote a comic about Graffiti!
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    100% legal in every state?

Yea it ain't permanent. If they really don't like it they can take it down with ease.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I'm sure everybody who has already posted in here is aware but I'd like to bring this film to public attention whenever I can:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0b90YppquE[/ame]
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Ferg, Daphz, those are totally rad!
    Street/Guerilla Art is definitely something I've been dying to get my hands on!
    Exit through the gift shop looks killer, gonna have to get that one. :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Mr Bear wrote: »
    I saw something like this in our local paper, couldn't find the exact shot but it was something along the lines of this, stunning!

article-0-055FE6DC000005DC-734_964x525.jpg

She really should just cycle around it. Dumb broad....geez

I used to *slap stickers around college in hard to reach places, back in the day. Fun times. Last time I was there a few still survive. 5years later!

*Slap or slapping, being the "street" terminology for "bombing" stickers. Thats right. I'm "down" with the kidz.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    fearian wrote: »
    Edit: Everyone in this thread should read NAWLZ! It's like if Phillip K Dick wrote a comic about Graffiti!

Wow, simply wow.

Gave it a read through now and it's really trippy, and to a degree thought provoking. Really like the manner it's presented and the interactivity in it. Great style as well.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian wrote: »
    I've always loved being able to spot the same artists stuff ever since I was younger and noticed the same 'TOX'03' along british rail lines around London. (I think the latest I've seen was 'TOX'10'... Haven't seen a new tag in a while...) Also Seeing Invader's work around London without really knowing what it was, until I did a graphic art project in school on videogames in art. So yeah as Banksy became popular I read into that as much as I could, and it led me to learn about many other London artists.

I like being able to spot an artists piece, especially if I havn't seen it before, and I think big colourful graffiti improves areas. Like alot of people (I imagine!) I always wanted to have a go, so I did. I made a stencil of a guy riding a t-rex based off a joke me and my friends had and went out on one of my last nights in hall's and stuck it about. It was fun and a little thrilling - my small taste of street art, haha.

Anyway I had it as my avatar on a bunch of forums, only changed my polycount avatar the other day. I'll have to find the original picture!

6NcdS.jpg

NAWLZ! is pretty cool. Also nice stencil art!
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    woah these are sick, definitely gonna try some of this in my town, its so cosmopolitan and boring right now, needs some livening up!! Just wondering, ferg and daphz, are there any specific materials that I should be using to create the stickers??
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 wrote: »
    woah these are sick, definitely gonna try some of this in my town, its so cosmopolitan and boring right now, needs some livening up!! Just wondering, ferg and daphz, are there any specific materials that I should be using to create the stickers??

I just use paper and wallpaper glue.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah but like, this is probably a retarted question, but like should I use sharpie, magic markers, ?????
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah but like, this is probably a retarted question, but like should I use sharpie, magic markers, ?????

Yea you can use anything. The wallpaper glue wont hurt the paper as long as it is thick enough not to bleed.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, ill stop polluting this awesome thread now :)
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, ill stop polluting this awesome thread now :)

Can't wait to see what you got for the streets!
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    to make stickers I just draw stuff with pen, sharpies, markers, watercolors, or photoshop, then print em out, then paste them to contact paper. the contact paper is kinda weak though on most surfaces. I gotta look into that glue stuff...
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Bear wrote: »

might not be the same guy, but I came across Julian Beever's work a while ago... he does a lot of that type of stuff

http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm

(scroll down to anamorphic illusions)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    gibson: I get mine from DHL, it's the easiest thing in the world. Just make an account on their website and go to the "order supplies" page, they have large blank stickers (8.5x11 so you can use em in your printer if you want) you can order bulk FOR FREE. Don't even have to pay shipping. They don't care that people do this, apparently, since it's such a small number, it would cost them more to deal with it than to ignore.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    after much searching.... www.dhl.com
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ferg = god?

in other news, I've made like 4 stickers already, just gotta grab a friend whos phone has internet connection :)
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    thanks a TON for that Ferg! I just ordered myself 20 sheets.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    HA I was wondering if a thread like this was going to go up-

Dekoy_01.jpg
    Dekoy_02.jpg
    Dekoy_03.jpg
    NTD.jpg
    madcity.JPG
    skislope.jpg
    MF_01.jpg
    MF_02.jpg
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct....is that all yours? cuz if so holy shit!!!!!!
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome stuff Konstruct! :D
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Aw man, I made the DHL account but they don't have any of the good stickers in Canaderp. :(

I made some stuff I was ready to paste up a few years ago but never got around to it. I should make it happen one of these days. I live across the street from the most populated mall in the province and there's so many bare walls...

I kind of like the idea of just using paper and wallpaper glue. That's how I did my tests before and it worked great. I don't think it's that much slower than stickers either. I wonder how well spray adhesive would work.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    *Sensible hat on, seeming as you're all discussing illegal activity

"Slapping" stickers is illegal and you could end up being fined a huge amount of cash.

I caught a bit of a TV show here in UK called "The Peoples supermarket". Something about a community run supermarket with people volunteering to work there as such. (sounds like a dumb idea to me)

The manager tried to do some cheap advertising so he came up with the idea of making sticker arrows pointing the way to the store (no planning permission). He stuck 88 arrows about town from the nearest Tesco all the way to the store.

Guess what, Suprise! Next morning 2 environment agents knocked on the door and told the dumbass manager he was going to be fined £2500 PER STICKER! (£220000) I don't see how it costs that much to take a sticker off.

I think he offered (got ordered) to scrub them all off himself and he got a slapped wrist.

Anyway. Just a warning. Don't make arrow stickers that point to your house and dont get caught.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of those are Mine- Others are other people. I`m just a really big fan :P
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    *Sensible hat on, seeming as you're all discussing illegal activity

"Slapping" stickers is illegal and you could end up being fined a huge amount of cash.

I caught a bit of a TV show here in UK called "The Peoples supermarket". Something about a community run supermarket with people volunteering to work there as such. (sounds like a dumb idea to me)

The manager tried to do some cheap advertising so he came up with the idea of making sticker arrows pointing the way to the store (no planning permission). He stuck 88 arrows about town from the nearest Tesco all the way to the store.

Guess what, Suprise! Next morning 2 environment agents knocked on the door and told the dumbass manager he was going to be fined £2500 PER STICKER! (£220000) I don't see how it costs that much to take a sticker off.

I think he offered (got ordered) to scrub them all off himself and he got a slapped wrist.

Anyway. Just a warning. Don't make arrow stickers that point to your house and dont get caught.

I think it's probably a bit different for people posting up art individually and anonymously. Unless you're caught in the act there's not a lot of accountability and you're not as official as a business.

That said I just checked and apparently there's a 500$ minimum fine for anyone caught putting up grafitti here. The best locations are within a block of a police station. :S
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Since this is a street art thread, in a 3d art forum, I gotta ask. How many of you paint/sharpie up any designer toys? If you have, I'd LOVE to see some pics of your work.

I find the blank toys a really cool idea. For people who don't know, blank toys are basically toy SDK's, like the blank meshes on this forum. You paint them up how you like, and some of them are freaking amazing.

hope I'm not hurting this thread with this. If I am, sorry....
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn konstruct...you got balls...
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    @konstruct - awesome stuff :D
    @Jeremy-S - i'm gonna look into that! i've printed out some blank papercraft type stuff and drawn on it. not plastic toys though.

here's some more thangs I made today. and a blank hat I painted on

LAWLMOARLAWL.png
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    konstruct my boy! loving it as always :) Though I saw those flicks like, what, 4 years ago?
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHA 3 years- one of those flicks was from this summer.. and another from last weekend. The one with the subtle daphz shoutout :P
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Daphz, that is some really cool stuff. I wish I had that kind of creativity to make stuff like that. Also, nice to see the crosses are there too. ;)

From your work here, I think you'd make some really cool art on a Dunny (blank toy). Here's a link with examples http://sites.kidrobot.com/dunny/ You'll see they're all the same toy, but VERY different paint jobs. They can get pretty big, and there are different styles as well.