Home Technical Talk

Decimation Master Pre-Process Issues

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
I've gotten to the point in sculpting this rock formation where I want to decimate it and bake it so I can see how it looks in UDK. When I Pre-Process the model though ZBrush freezes. I thought maybe it would just take about 20 minutes or so but the sculpt is about 1.5 Million Tris and I'm using an i7 920 so I doubt it would take that long. Does anyone have any idea why it would freeze when pre-processing?

Replies

• mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No idea, not into zbrush, but for this task, MeshLab is a great and free to use alternative. I mean, to help you keep going while you troubleshoot this.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No idea, not into zbrush, but for this task, MeshLab is a great and free to use alternative. I mean, to help you keep going while you troubleshoot this.

Thanks. If I don't find a solution to this by tomorrow I'll give that a try.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been searching for a solution to this for a while now and haven't found anything. Right when I start the Pre Process ZBrush just pretty much stops working. The CPU is at 0% load. I tried reinstalling it and messing around with the preferences a bit but none of that did anything.
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    Don't know if you did it or not, but do you collapsed the division levels before starting the pre-process?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki wrote: »
    Don't know if you did it or not, but do you collapsed the division levels before starting the pre-process?

I don't think I did. How do I do that?
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    I am not a skilled zbrush user, anyway I found that sometimes Dec.Master doesn't work correctly if you don't collapse the geometry division levels into one.

Tool - Geometry - Del Lower
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    make sure you have nothing hidden, this will not allow the pre process to continue, everthing in the ztl must be visable.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Collapse any layers as well as Decimation Master doesn't play nicely with them.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm positive I don't have anything hidden. I've opened ZBrush quite a few times and placed one of my rock tools before trying to pre-process. I've also tried pre-processing the standard ZBrush Rhino and an 8,000 polygon sphere and it just refuses to work.

I'm going to try reinstalling ZBrush today to see if something just didn't install correctly. Not sure what else could be causing the problem. Keep the suggestions coming if you have them though please!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just reinstalled ZBrush and it still doesn't want to work. Guess I'll have to find a new workflow.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Under the preferences menu, you should have a subheading for Decimation Master. What options/settings do you have selected? I know you said you messed around with them a bit, but knowing what you've tried there and what you haven't might help.
  • couto607
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you browsing away from zbrush while this happens? The way ZBrush works is with scripts, and it must always be the main program on your screen in order for it to work properly. When it's pre-processing, just leave your computer alone and go watch some TV. Minimizing/switching windows will stop it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @iconplast, I have Uniform Mesh, 6 Threads, Delete Caches at Start and 64 Bits Decimator selected. I mainly messed around with the Threads and 64/32 bit settings.

@couto, I tried it both running in the background and always keeping it up. I left it up without clicking on anything for about 15-20 minutes once and still nothing. It's definitely just crashing the program right when it starts.

I tried decimating on the computers at Futurepoly and it worked perfectly on the first try. It stayed on "Computing..." for about 2 or 3 seconds at most there while mine just freezes on that. My computer is much more powerful than the computers at Futurepoly too so it definitely should be taking longer at all on my computer.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    i would suggest using an alternative until the solution is figured out, there are a lot of instances where zbrush just doesn't like to work like it should. instead of getting a headache over one little problem, go with meshlab or even max's prooptimizer, both do a decent job for test baking purposes
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Is it the same mesh at FP and your home? The only thing I could imagine is to uninstall ZB, run CCleaner, go to your Username directory, into the Apps section and delete anything related to ZB/Pixo.

Once that is done, install it back.

Also, check on bad RAM. ZB is extremely frisky when it comes to RAM. An underclocked slot or a slightly bad sector RAM could be fatal to it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mike, I've been using Max's optimizer here for now. Trying not to download Meshlab or something similar as I hate having to go between 5 programs just for one model. I can still do most of my decimation at FP though since most of what I've been doing is related to things there so hopefully the problem will be fixed once I start working on some more of my own stuff.

@Ace, it's the same mesh at FP and on my computer. The mesh isn't the problem though. I've tried decimating an 8,000 polygon sphere on my computer and it still freezes at the same spot. I've also tried reinstalling ZBrush and Decimation Master and it didn't fix it. I'll try deleting anything related to Pixologic in the Apps section. I didn't think of trying that and I'm guessing that stuff stayed when I uninstalled. I'll also check for bad RAM. I've been starting to think it's probably a hardware problem. Do you have any suggestions or links to something that can tell me how to check my RAM? Never done it before.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New question! What are your computer specs? Specifically, I'm after information about your processor (i7 920, right?), OS, and video card, but more info never hurts.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Tried process all? I know silly but hey I tried. :) good luck.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Processor - i7 920
    RAM - 6GB of Corsair XMS3 1600 MHZ
    Video Card - ATI 1GB 5870
    OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Nothing is overclocked, it's all on stock settings. I recently moved from California to Bellevue, WA in a bumpy moving truck so maybe one of the sticks of RAM got a bit de-seated during that. It's still reading as 6 gigs though and everything else has worked fine.

@$!nz, Yup, I've tried Process All.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you don't have it, download Process Explorer. Open that, then try to use decimation master. Then look at the process list -- under System is an entry labeled Interrupts. See if anything on that line changes. That should give us some more information about the problem.

As to testing memory, I recommend using Memtest86. You'll probably want to let it run overnight so it gets at least a few passes in. That said, this sounds more likely to be a processor issue to me if it's hardware.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try out Process Explorer tomorrow morning and post the results and then probably do a RAM check tomorrow night if you get nothing out of that.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    also I guess you already have done this but hit the "delete all caches" button in decimation master before you pre process, that might help cos Z keeps all decimated files in a single folder
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »
    also I guess you already have done this but hit the "delete all caches" button in decimation master before you pre process, that might help cos Z keeps all decimated files in a single folder

I've done that before and it still doesn't work. I'll keep that in mind for when I actually get this working though. Didn't know what it did before. Thanks.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Try exporting It to an obj (if it's not more than 5-10 million tris, if your comp can handle that do it) to one of your other applications if you have them max, maya, ect. Then just reexport it from said application back to a new .obj, import it, save it, while still viewing the object go to gemoetry / reconstruct subdiv to the same level of divides you have the original at and try again.

Hope It works, let us know, also if you found a better way to go about decimating post It for someone who might run into this issue down the road.

Just came to mind...
    Reinstall or re-download the decimate master plugin? I know you reinstalled but you might have just used the saved files from the machine?

Also this guy seems to have the same problem as you unless this is you:
    pixol forums maybe ask him how he fixed his?
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    tl;dr

click "make polymesh 3d" before you decimate

also make sure you are using the correct decimation options (decimate current / decimate all are designed for specific things and might not work if you use them on the wrong type of selection)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @$!nz, I'll try out that exporting/importing thing. I re-downloaded Decimation Master like 3 times from different places and it didn't change anything. That's not me on the Pixologic forums but it looks like he's having the same problem. Doesn't look like he's found a solution though. If none of this stuff works I'll probably post over there about it too.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @iconoplast, I just tried Decimating whilst Process Explorer was open. Nothing showed up on the interrupts. It said ZBrush was only using .03 processing power too... That can't be right.

EDIT:

@$!nz, I just tried the OBJ exporting/importing thing. Didn't work. I'm guessing this is more of a hardware issue that tricks like this won't fix.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has decimation ever worked on this computer? Can you try an earlier version of Zbrush to see if there's any difference in how it behaves? Also, since you did mention moving recently, have you cracked open the case and tried reseating everything? It sounds like something in your hardware is refusing to respond to Zbrush when it tries to start things, and I'm inclined to suspect your processor.

EDIT: Not sure that guy on Pixologic's forum is having quite the same problem as in his other posts he mentions it actually crashing and generating the temp files, but he did say a reformat/OS reinstall fixed his.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To my knowledge decimation has never worked on this computer. I just started using ZBrush a few months ago. I'll check if an earlier version works sometime soon. I haven't opened the case since moving either, but I may do that soon if nothing else fixes this.

That single post by Shakey1 was the one I was talking about who seems to have the same problem, not that entire thread. Doesn't seem like he ever found a solution though. If this doesn't get fixed by the time I move back to California then I think I'll try reformatting. I haven't reformatted this PC since I built it a bit over a year ago so it could use it probably.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I searched for his other posts, there were only 3 and all related to his problem -- seems he started a new thread after he didn't get a response in the linked one.

I know we've thrown a lot of suggestions at you, but I do want to revisit one. Did you ever try another uninstall/cleaning with CCleaner and making sure all Pixologic files are gone? I think it was Ace who suggested that one, but if a reformat did help the other guy it might have been because there was a bad setting in some esoteric preferences file or the like.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast wrote: »
    I searched for his other posts, there were only 3 and all related to his problem -- seems he started a new thread after he didn't get a response in the linked one.

I know we've thrown a lot of suggestions at you, but I do want to revisit one. Did you ever try another uninstall/cleaning with CCleaner and making sure all Pixologic files are gone? I think it was Ace who suggested that one, but if a reformat did help the other guy it might have been because there was a bad setting in some esoteric preferences file or the like.

Ah I actually didn't try that yet. I'll do that in a few minutes.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I uninstalled ZBrush using CCleaner, manually deleted any extra files, ran CCleaner, reinstalled ZBrush and Decimation Master and it still doesn't work. Gets caught on "Computing, Please Wait..." still.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boo, I was hoping that would do it, even if it was a long shot. Do you have another processor you could test in there?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast wrote: »
    Boo, I was hoping that would do it, even if it was a long shot. Do you have another processor you could test in there?

Nope. I might try making sure everything is seated properly later. Doubt it will do anything since everything else has been working 100% fine but it's worth a try.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    have you actually tried converting to polymesh 3d btw? or was that brought up earlier in the thread?
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know that it'll do much either, but it's fairly low-risk/quick thing to try. I'm thinking that there's probably some tiny flaw in your processor that isn't being hit by other tasks you've been doing. Having given a friend a rundown of your problem (as best I could, anyway, as art programs are largely arcane magic to him), he came up with the same assessment independently.

Out of curiousity, and because if I don't ask it'll be the case, did you happen to buy the processor in March 2010 from Newegg? They apparently sent out about 300 counterfeit versions of that processor then, and while I would like to think they would have contacted everyone who might have been impacted, you never know.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rick_D, yeah I tried converting to Polymesh 3D a few times and it didn't do anything. I've been doing it every time now just to be sure.

@Iconoplast, I bought it around January or early February of 2010. I doubt it's a counterfeit though, but I don't know anything about that kind of stuff.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, more than likely it's not counterfeit, but I had to ask. From what I could dig up on the internet there was a subtle typo on the box and some blank pages in the manual with the counterfeit chips, so if you didn't have that you're probably fine.

All in all, with it not having ever worked on that computer and consistently not working with different meshes, I'm going to say it's almost certainly some sort of hardware issue.

I did just watch Decimation Master run in Process Explorer on my system and a thought occured to me. Does yours ever even start it? It does actually run under a separate .exe (decimationmasterapp64.exe if you're using the 64 bit version of it).

EDIT: Are you running Zbrush as an administrator? I don't know if it's allowed to launch another .exe if you aren't.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just checked and nope, I didn't see it even start the process.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would definitely check to see if you're running it as an administrator then and see if that will let it start.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Double checked and it is running as administrator. That was one of the first things I checked when I started having this problem a week ago.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. Do you have UAC turned on? Turning it off can sometimes help stuff like this.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UAC is turned off. That's one of the first things I did when I installed Windows 7 on this computer when I built it.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you try to decimate and it hangs, can you hit escape and get back out of it? (It won't always clear the bit at the top of the screen when it backs out of it.)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, yes I can. Thanks for pointing that out. If I leave it running so the dots nexting to "computing, please wait" are moving it never goes any further.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about the plugin itself? I know you said you redownloaded and reinstalled it a few times, but would you mind verifying the install location and file sizes? It turns out I can reproduce your issue by moving my .exe away from the folder and trying to decimate.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put everything into the Zstartup/Zplugs folder. Isn't that right? Also how would I go about verifying if the file sizes are correct. Not sure what to compare it to.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of -- the DecimationMaster_4.0.zsc files is in the Zplugs folder, everything else should be in a subfolder labeled DecimationMasterData_4.0. I've got 92 kb on the .zsc file, 399 kb and the 64 bit .exe, 273 kb on the 32 bit, and 97 kb on the .dll. Now you have comparisons! =)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, that's how mine are set up and they are all the same file sizes as yours.
  • CopperHaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you make sure all your subtools are named differently? Zbrush will NOT pre-process all if any 2 subtools are named the same. You have to be sure that every subtool has a unique name.