Home Technical Talk

Mental Ray Refraction Help

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Mathew O polycounter
Hi guys, I can't seem to get my refraction right on the water inside this fish bowl. I basically want to just make it slightly clearer so that the fish is easier to see.

Any tips?

frontdb.jpgbehindcv.jpg

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    do you have blurr refraction on somewhere? - that's what it looks like at first glance.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Thanks for the reply dude, this is all I could find in the Mental Ray settings...

refractionblur.jpg

..however, no matter what I set this value to it doesn't effect my render in any way, Visually or timewise.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    well its maya so it won't be exact to what im used to but it is going to be in the material you are using, not so much the global settings. have a look at your glass material and water material
  • Warheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    Yea that looks weird... Possibly a separate issue to the blurring but it doesn't look like there is much refraction actually happening either. What do you have the refractive index set to?

As cw said it would be good to see the material settings. Are you using the MR dielectric material or just a blinn/phong? Also, are you rendering any caustics or overriding any sampling settings within the material?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Hey dude, thanks for the reply.

Here are the material settings, I have a small amoutn of caustics on but I haven't played with them too much yet as the blurryness is bugging me too much. I am thinking abotu changing the material but I spent ages gettign this one looking pretty nice...

materialsettings.jpg