Home General Discussion

Anyone selling/trading ZBrush? Know of good deals?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
I hate asking on the general boards, but I'm getting desperate for ZBrush. Amazingly, eBay doesn't have any listings for it. The cheapest I've seen it online was $630, but I'm saving for some transportation at the moment and trying to cut as many corners as I can. I'm still in college, so an Academic license is always an option I guess, but I'd like to use it for commercial purposes. So, if any of you are switching to Mudbox, rage quitting art, or whatever, I'm definitely interested.

I may be able to trade you Gnomon Workshop's 3D Creature Design Master Class for it. To make a long story short (there's another thread about it), Gnomon mistakenly shipped the master class with another package I ordered. I've contacted them multiple times over the last two weeks, but they haven't responded... I'm going to give it a bit more time, but it's something I'd be willing to trade if it's practically mine now.

If you're not comfortable with that, that's cool. I'd still be willing to shell out the bones for it.

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't buy ZBrush used because of the way they license it. I'm not sure if that's even possible.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? Maybe that's why it can't really be found used... why, what's the catch in the license?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technically you can't I think their license agreement doesn't allow it. It's that way with just about every kind of software. I think autodesk went through a big brew-haha with some reseller, I forget if he won or if they had to change their ways... But pretty much all lic agreements are the same...

It might also be against the polycount rules to offer trades... so don't be shocked if this gets locked or disappears.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think that's stricktly true, if you check out the Zbrush Central general forums there's usually a half dozen people offering it for sale.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they let you resell, that's pretty awesome and pretty unique.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think that's stricktly true, if you check out the Zbrush Central general forums there's usually a half dozen people offering it for sale.

Ah, thanks for the tip, I'll check their forums.

I don't mind if this get's locked. I hate pimping the community, but I thought I'd risk it.

Modo isn't like that, as long as you go through them to do it. I think you have to pay a license transfer fee of like $100 or something, but it's still cheaper than buying it retail.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I think autodesk went through a big brew-haha with some reseller, I forget if he won or if they had to change their ways.

So far as I can remember it that was kind of a big landmark, pretty sure the judge told Autodesk they were off their rockers.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20091001/1805496397.shtml
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    Actually if you buy your license off another user, they can email Pixologic support and have the license transfered to you (because Pixologic is awesome like that).

They deactivate the old key and email you a brand new one. I bought my license off another user for around $400, pro license, and as far as their system is concerned..I am like any other Zbrush user.

Edit:
    Here is the email from support on what the other user needs to do.
    1) Uninstall ZBrush, delete its folder, and destroy any copies that you have. We'll give a new installer to the recipient.

2) Send us an email with the new user's first name, last name, and email address.

3) In that same email, formally state that you are transferring your license with all of its rights and privileges including upgrades or support to [Name of Recipient]. You must also state that you are revoking these rights for yourself, and have destroyed all copies of the software.

Once that's done, we'll deactivate your account and then send the recipient instructions for how to create his or her own account. From that point forward it will be as if he or she was the original purchaser. A link to the newest download will be sent at that time.

IMPORTANT: The new user MUST be on the same platform that you are on. We can transfer the license, only. We cannot change platforms as well. If you have a PC license, the new user must have a PC to run it on. If you have a Mac license, the new user must have a Mac.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's good news. Now it's just a matter of finding someone. If I don't get any takers, I'll probably put up the master classes on eBay and see if I can't get close to breaking even.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah Pixologic have been helping resales for ages, maybe since the beginning. Wish Autodesk,Adobe,etc would take the same initiative...greedy bastards.

Pixologic are so awesome they even help you find resellers.

http://www.pixologic.com/resellers/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's really cool! I bought zbrush way back when and haven't really used it much, its really cool to know I can offload it if I ever decide to.

Now if they could only make their app as easy to use as their license transfer I probably wouldn't get rid of it... ha!
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After combing the internet, I found a seller for $425. Not bad! What have you guys heard about the license transfer process? I hear they make it really legit. How exactly does Pixologic include the buyer in the process? Just want to know what to expect from the process so I don't get screwed. Is doing this via paypal enough to protect me you think?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Not sure about the process but the seller has contact Pixologic first. So you probably give some details (email) to the sellers and Pixologic will get in touch with you and take it from there.

I wouldn't pay for anything till Pixologic contact you and verify that it is a genuine licence, etc..

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Licensing#Selling_Your_License
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, excellent information. Thanks guys!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Wish Autodesk,Adobe,etc would take the same initiative...greedy bastards.

adobe let me resell my copy of photoshop (unwanted prize) a few years ago. all it took was to email them and have them point me to a license transfer form downloadable from their website, just sayin.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    thomasp wrote: »
    adobe let me resell my copy of photoshop (unwanted prize) a few years ago. all it took was to email them and have them point me to a license transfer form downloadable from their website, just sayin.

ah.. Ok. Adobe are cool again.

But Autodesk....still bastards.

What makes it worse is that they don't even allow the resale of older versions and you have to buy new releases. Thats BS.

ZBrush releases are a free update for people with licences. Can't wait till I don't have to open Maya anymore. For that ZBrush only needs an easy way to create accurate base meshes for hard surface stuff. I'll buy Marmoset for rendering.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Two Listen wrote: »
    So far as I can remember it that was kind of a big landmark, pretty sure the judge told Autodesk they were off their rockers.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20091001/1805496397.shtml

That was from a district court ruling, Later though The Ninth Circuit's decision favored precedent favoring autodesk. ( This is pretty recent I had assumed that Vernor had won against autodesk myself )
    On the other hand in The Ninth Circuit's analysis of the ruling did raise the position that congress may always if needed change the law to accomodate new secondary markets for the general public good seeing how the effect unforseen considerations might play out given that this is all still relatively new and may perhaps be detrimental to new economies.
    Considering the outcome may have a big impact on my own future...
    Kind of embarrasing how a ruling this important goes on virtually unnoticed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk,_Inc.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For what it's worth...
    I just scoured the internet for the best retail Zbrush deal and asked Jeff Meeker @ simulistic.com to match the offer. ( which he did because he is supercool and an authorized reseller of just about everything )

http://simulistic.com/

If u r in DC or Maryland use an outside state fer billing or he has to charge tax
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting thread is interesting.

Just out of curiosity, do pixologic ever have sales on zbrush? A workmate says he bought zbrush when he found it online cheap. I think if I ever find a copy for $400-500 I'll have to pick it up. (especially when the Australian dollar is kicking ass)
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was over $100 off here.
    But it's not there anymore.
    I guess you could give them a poke and see if they can make it happen again.
    Even then I would want to then git a price match with an authorized reseller to assure everything goes without a bump.
    ( I'd hate to be stuck with licensing problems and only have a retailer I wasn't 100% to turn to )
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure if this is relevant or not but in our case, our studio gets 2 licenses per software from Autodesk and Pixologic. You get a work license for your station at home and a home license for your home workstation. That way I have all the software I need at home in case I need to do something quick on the weekend.

For the industry folk, that may be the case in your office too. Perhaps politely asking the IT would do the trick ?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Fuse wrote: »
    our studio gets 2 licenses per software from Autodesk and Pixologic.

This is a standard thing with any ZBrush licences. Its not really 2 licences, its 1 licence that can be used by 2 computers (home/work,etc). But you can't use ZB on the computers at the same time. One is locked while the other is used.

Having said that. ZBrush works without having an internet connection i think, Right? So its possible to have 2 running at the same time, maybe....

Not sure how it works with autodesk.
  • lordsofshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello folks, I have a full ZBrush 4 WIN licence to sell if anyone is interested!!
    Just email me at agge.80@live.se . what about 300 USD ?? it should be half the price??