Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Malevolent Concept

Hello! I'm looking into strengthening my 2D skills, please provide some feedback! Thanks!

Below is an image of a character concept 'Malevolent' I plan on using in future illustrations.

malevolent_front_side_pose.png

Pencil and paper, scanned and tossed around in Photoshop.
Estimated - 6 Hours.

Replies

• Thor Sowards
    I like the bandages wrapped around his upper body alot, i think the knee pads look rather large though. Keep it up!
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    His hands look huge, at least in the rightmost pose. I do like the theme and I think you've got a good start here. You might want to work on the frontal views at his legs as well -- it's hard to tell that the knee pads aren't some unholy connectors between his pants and boots, fusing his body into a jumpsuit of evil. The boots being rather blocky probably doesn't discourage this impression on my part. As Thor mentioned, making the knee pads smaller may be a good idea.
  • Mitchell Banks
    - Thor Odinson
    Thanks! The bandages have alot to do with his character description. I will be posting his backstory when I have time to complete it. As far as the knee pads go, the reason for them being 'oversized' is that the Malevolent doesn't have any leg armor (besides his 'pants'), also, they are more of a religious accessory.
  • Mitchell Banks
    - iconoplast
    I'm glad you like the theme! Yes, I agree, his hands are huge (I didn't even notice it untill you pointed it out). I still struggle with illustrating hands. I understand what you are talking about with the knee pads. You can see in the side view and the pose that it isn't a connector fusing his legs and boots. Maybe it's my line work that is deceiving you? Either way, I will redesign them and make a few different knee pads untill I get it right. Thanks for the responce!
  • Sean VanGorder
    This is really excellent. Top notch stuff. The fact that you don't have a job yet is nothing short of astounding.
  • Mitchell Banks
    - SeanEG
    I hate your fat neck cleavage.
  • Mitchell Banks
    - Thor Odinson
    - iconoplast
    I fixed his hands! Let me know if it still needs some working on.

malevolent_front_side_pose-1.png

I made a version with smaller knee armor... It didn't look so right. I didn't even bother posting it.

I will be working on several new concepts for the knee pads tonight. Stay tuned! I do appreciate your critiques.