Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Persia Shrine

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Pogo_Daddy polycounter lvl 14
I know I should have posted this up a long time ago when I was first starting it, but unfortunately I didn't.

This is my capstone project for my last year in my game development program. It has already been handed in but I'd still like to make it better for my portfolio.

All crit are welcome.

6431feb1.jpg

c02aef12.jpg

Let me know if the images are too big - I can resize.

Replies

• letronrael
    i think its pretty cool , maybe just redo the lighting or just try to add another color than the orange-red color you have there....try to add some purple to add more depth or any other matching color.

:/
  • fabio brasilien
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    you said this project is almost done and probably you can´t change much.
    But these are my crits:
    -this occlusion on the corners are too strong. Make that softer and maybe a little more colorfull. Leave pure black for realy dark places.
    -this water is very clean, you could add some color on that to help the overall mood.
    everything else looks great for me!
  • RexM
    Looks great!

The one thing that sticks out for me is the orange covering up and blending all the other colors together too much.

I'd say try to add more color variation throughout the scene, and really individualize each surface such as stone, marble, metal to make them stick out.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty rad! theres some nice qualities about. The elephant being such a center piece should have more details that speak to what materials its made from. Even if its made from some smooth metal, you figure it would probably have to be constructed in parts- making various construction seams and whatnot. Some ornate detailing would go a long way

Like Fabio said, your darks are FAR too dark. lighten them up a tad, and if you can- making them cool shadows could look really cool for how warm the scene is.

Lastly, the arches look a bit too faceted, and from the side they almost look paper thin. Might want to take a stab at refining those assets a bit.
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Offline / Send Message
    you said this project is almost done and probably you can´t change much.
    But these are my crits:
    -this occlusion on the corners are too strong. Make that softer and maybe a little more colorfull. Leave pure black for realy dark places.
    -this water is very clean, you could add some color on that to help the overall mood.
    everything else looks great for me!

I have time to change it, it's just "finished" as far as school is concerned
  • duxun
    Awesome !!! just work on another lighting color to give your shapes form and man your are set !!!

maybe add a second texture layer on your ground tiles to add broken/worn parts to break up the tiles !!

i love it !!
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the crits and positive feedback :]

9d2dc297.jpg

Just a printscreen. I've made my shadows more purply and added a green tint to my water. I've also created a post process chain and tweeked the AO to be less harsh and to also be blue/purple.

I have yet to edit my elephant or add decals to the walls and floors orrr fix my arches
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Offline / Send Message
    lightmaps have also been fixed (not in previous image) so that there's no longer a seem on the bath
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I really like this scene alot, especially the elephant!

When i went to Iran a few years back alot of the statues that were in many of the ruins there were not made from solid gold, seeing as the elephant is the centerpiece it would be strange for you to change the material at this point.

I would however add more detail to that elephant such as the image below ( sorry small image):

SRB991677.JPG

If you look at these ref shot from prince of persian there is alot of detail in the main hero statue pieces:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=088780

This is a minor nit pick and don't really think should be applied to this piece but just a reminder for the future, keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Arman
  • dregoloth
    I love the direction that your going with this, especially with the elephant and the pool of water. The only suggestion I can suggest is that you try to have a particle effect (similar to the one in the prince of persia when you need directions) slowly weaving its way around the environment. I think it would provide a nice contrast to the warm hues and other wise relatively static environment.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    too much orange ghet some lighting in from those windows
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Why do people go crazy with AO?
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    If you're going to redo the elephant, Id suggest replacing it with a gryphon, it's much more persian-flavoured rather than indian or even khmer.
    With a persian style gryphon you can choose if you want to make the head human, eagle, or lion. The human-headed one is a very ancient symbol which the assyrians and jews used before persia became a superpower, they likely borrowed it from them. For those who like random information, these were some of the earliest depictions of high ranking angels ("cherubim" - which today have been corrupted to something like the greek eros) They were commonly placed either side of a door or gateway as "sentries." PS. they very clearly have cocks which is pretty sick.
    persepolis-gryphon.jpg
    persian2.jpg
    fig3.jpg

The cloistered look is a little european, I assume you took inspiration from alhambra or similar which is moorish with a lot less greek influence than typical persian architecture. This gives the feeling that rather than study persian buildings you put together whatever seemed like the right time period and filled it with persian things. Given we are european the natural images we conjure are european motifs... It's probably too late to revise this though.
  • CrackRockSteady
    @frell - the default settings in UDK are really strong (like his first shots), and I think a lot of people either don't realize you can change it or aren't sure how.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    @Harry, i think its a little too late to be replacing the elephant - would make sense if it was poorly done then why not make it more theme suited but considering how well it turned out i say leave it and focus on some of the more minor things that can really fine tune this piece
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    frell wrote: »

Most people tend to not mess around with custom post process chains/are scared to/dont know how. Anyhow looking good Kate, agree with it being too orange and definitely needs some other color in there. Maybe blues from night time?
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »

For the time I left it at default since it's a bit of a pain to have to keep replacing the defaultengine.ini (This is a school assignment, and the computers deep freeze).

Since my initial post it's been changed and I have created a post process chain, but appearently you missed that.
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    If you're going to redo the elephant, Id suggest replacing it with a gryphon, it's much more persian-flavoured rather than indian or even khmer.
    With a persian style gryphon you can choose if you want to make the head human, eagle, or lion. The human-headed one is a very ancient symbol which the assyrians and jews used before persia became a superpower, they likely borrowed it from them. For those who like random information, these were some of the earliest depictions of high ranking angels ("cherubim" - which today have been corrupted to something like the greek eros) They were commonly placed either side of a door or gateway as "sentries." PS. they very clearly have cocks which is pretty sick.

The cloistered look is a little european, I assume you took inspiration from alhambra or similar which is moorish with a lot less greek influence than typical persian architecture. This gives the feeling that rather than study persian buildings you put together whatever seemed like the right time period and filled it with persian things. Given we are european the natural images we conjure are european motifs... It's probably too late to revise this though.
    I don't plan on redoing the elephant. I may change a few things or improve him, but I'm not planning on starting over.

I've already done research on persian sculptures and statues, but none of them really appealed to me or wouldn't showcase as well (like the huma bird).

I took inspiration from what's left of persia, iran, and prince of persia (in game and concept).