Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prince of Persia boat interior UDK

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
Currently working on this boat interior scene, first time making an environment for UDK so alot of time is spent just testing shit. The persian rug texture is just placeholder for now.

boat_wip4.jpg

Also currently working on a lamp that is supposed to be mounted on the wood pillars.

lamp.jpg

Concept is from one of the Prince of persia games and its made by Bruno Gentile.

Replies

• paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Not a bad start. At the moment the image is really dark and hard to see, it could just be my monitor but get some light in there. The light coming in appears to be rather strong, so I would expect there to be a decent amount of bounce light lighting up the interior a bit (not the whole thing, just the area around where the light is hitting). Take a look at some images of light pouring into a room and notice the bounce light. If you get it right, it can add alot of interest.
    After a very quick search I coudn't find many that weren't heavily processed but here's one that sort of illustrates my point: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonythomas/2861889079/sizes/z/in/photostream/
    You have one place where the light is directly falling and then this soft light bouncing around lighting up the areas nearby (The ceiling plank is getting a significant amount of light from it too).
    I think if you get this right it will help your scene a lot.

Also, at the moment your wood textures are far too noisy. The 'pillar' type planks look as if they have a pattern etched in to them, and if this is the case, it's really hard to read and in the end looks like noise and destroys the material.

Keep going, I think this could be a really nice looking scene with lots of possibilities to create some interesting contrast.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen some dark screenshots in my day, but you've definitely posted one of the darkest. Jack those levels, let's see it.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the crits! I agree that its abit too dark at the moment and i have been struggling abit. I want the environment to be dark with alot of shadows but still readable. Ultimately i decided to hold off on getting deeper into lightmass until i had my light meshes etc in place. What settings do i change to get more bounced light? I pulled some sliders now and i have been able to increase the effect but it would be nice to actually know what i am doing ;D I also found that i had environment color set to black so i changed that to a slight blue. This created some pretty wierd coloring of the wood behind the curtains that really shouldnt be lit much.

Also have some problem with my monitors. I am working on my IPS screen and its looking pretty decent on that one but when i check the scene on my crappy TN screen it looks complete crap. I also removed some dark noise from the wood texture but i have to play with it some more.

I agree about the pillar, its abit of a rush job atm but ive had some trouble with getting it to not look like random noise after UDK compress the normal etc. Anyway here is a new screenshot hopefully its alittle more readable because its honestly not THAT dark on my screen :p I will have to rework the lighting later anyway when i get the rest of my meshes in there.

Thanks again for the crits!

boat_wip6.jpg
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin: this is looking really good. Digging what you have so far. I just have few suggestions and crits.

boat_wip6_suggestion.jpg

1. Maybe change this texture because I have no idea what's going on, hah. (I understand if your still in the texturing process)

2. Maybe try to make it more realistic rust, no surreal but right now it looks out of place and orange to me.

3. Same situation here, looks a little bland up there.

Keep up the good work, I still have to motivate myself to play with UDK!

Zack Dembinski
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah 1 and 3 are just some random tiling wood texture that i just threw on there, looks especially wierd on 1 because the grain is going in the wrong direction! :P I also agree about nr2 its a pretty ugly copper texture with no specmap etc.

Edit: One last update before i got to bed :p

boat_wip7.jpg
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Boost the diffuse bounce a bit so that the sunlight would actually illuminate the scene more.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright finally got some free time to work on this again so posting a small update and some questions i hope someone can answer :p

boat_wip8.jpg

Placeholder flame particle to be replaced with my own + a mesh flame holder.

Sooo now im wondering, is there a way to make part of a polygon semitransparent in UDK ? I want the jagged edges on my lamp to be solid obviously but i want to make the glass transparent.

Also if anyone has an ideas on how to make better looking silk curtains im all ears! :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Assign a second material to the glass part in your respective 3d modeling package and when you bring it to UDK, it'll have a slot that you can dump a translucent material on.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but i cant assign 2 materials to a single polygon. My lamp has those jagged edges at the bottom of the glass but the lowpoly is just a flat polygon there. I was expecting alpha to work like it usually does so that i could use it to mask off areas that i wanted to be transparent but that doesnt seem to work? Or is there a workaround?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use an opacity map. I would make it the alpha channel of your color map, save it as a tga with alpha, then plug the alpha of the texture into the opacity slot on your material.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol wrote: »
    Use an opacity map. I would make it the alpha channel of your color map, save it as a tga with alpha, then plug the alpha of the texture into the opacity slot on your material.

Thats what i did, didnt seem to work. Plugging it into the opacity mask slot worked but then i got 1bit alpha so either 100% transparent or 0% :(