Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] Changing default tool settings?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,

So I would like to know if it is possible to change the default settings of the tools in max. For example, the default weld distance setting is set to 0.1. I would like to have it at a default 0.0001. How would I go about doing this?

I am aware that this is entirely unit dependant (1cm = 0.1 mm). But I have my max set at Metric, and 1 unit = 1 meter. Like I said, I would love it if my default weld settings were set to a specific amount.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There might be a better way to do this but you can script it pretty easily.
    Basically you turn on the maxscript listener, clear it out, add the modifier, make the changes and copy/paste that into a script you can then drag that script into the tool bar. Anytime you click that button you get that modifier with those settings.

Or start to keep track of your scripts by creating a macroScript you do this by adding a header to the top of the script...
    macroScript NEWEditPoly
    category:" MyTools"
    toolTip:"Apply Edit Poly with Custom Settings"
    ButtonText:"Edit Poly"

(
    bla bla bla bla bla
    code you copied and pasted from the maxscript listener
    blablab bla bla
    )

Run it once and use Customize UI to set it to a button or key-bind. That way it will apply that modifier with those settings when called. Most people use a modifier button anyway to apply things like edit poly or unwrap UVW so it's not much of a stretch.

The advantage of this is that you can have one long script with a bunch of macroscripts in it. You run the script once and all the macroscripts install. This comes in handy for the yearly migration to the new version of max (which is right around the corner) or if you reinstall, start a new job or want to pass your scripts onto friends.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm thanks man! I'll look into it. I guess I'll just have to change the value manually each time instead of having to run a script.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you hit apply (+) and then hit okay (check), the weld will remember the setting for later use. Doesn't help to default it, but means you only set the threshold once.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the lower right corner of 3dsmax right click the white or pink box and choose "open listener window" copy and paste this code into it, then highlight and drag it into your toolbar.
    modPanel.addModToSelection (Edit_Poly ()) ui:on
    $.modifiers[#Edit_Poly].weldEdgeThreshold = 0.001 [COLOR=SeaGreen]--set this number [/COLOR]
    $.modifiers[#Edit_Poly].weldVertexThreshold = 0.001 [COLOR=SeaGreen]--set this number [/COLOR]

Now whenever you need to apply edit poly use that button and the weld threshold will be set.
    3dsmax_CustomEditPoly.jpg

If you want to move the button hold alt and click + drag (this goes for any button)
    If you want to change the icon or switch it to text right click it and choose "edit button appearance".
    If you want to change the default threshold, edit the macro script.
  • jazznazz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jazznazz polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, I found some very interesting .ini files in the 3dMax appdata directory:

C\Users\user\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\2011 - 64bit\enu - 3dsmax.ini

C\Users\user\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\2011 - 64bit\enu\defaults\Max\ - CurrentDefaults.ini

C\Users\user\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\2011 - 64bit\enu\plugcfg\*.ini - all the Unwrap UVW defaults are there, I think.

One thing that was particularly annoying in max 2010+, Use real world map scale- true by default can be disabled from
    CurrentDefaults.ini - 
    [UVW Mapping]
    DisableRealWorldUVs=1

• pietwelve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

An other kind of solution :
    - add modifier (edit poly)
    - select no vertex
    - clic Weld, set the desired threshold, ok
    - select modifier in stack : copy
    - you can now past this modifier that does nothing but has the right default value

When editing a large number of objects it helps.
    bye