Home General Discussion

Job hunting

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
If youre fresh out of 3d school (game related education) what is way to go about getting a job. Just apply for positions directly even if you dont qualify or just the junior entry level positions? Or will that hurt my future chances?

Replies

• vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    junior entry level, as you dont have any experience.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fresh out of school typically means a portfolio full of first time projects. I don't know too many people that can hit industry standard the first few times doing anything. So normally that means, "throw everything out and start practicing full time".

The only people landing junior and entry level positions are people with rocking portfolios that look like they're seniors but happen not to have any experience yet. You also have to compete with all the people who have been in the industry for a while and been laid off.

Since it sounds like you're not really sure your portfolio will land you a job, then you might not want to send it around yet. The reason for this is if you send it around now and they decide no, even with a few better pieces in it next time you'll have to fight that negative reaction. "Hey I've seen this before, we said no... humm I'm not sure some of this looks new but still my gut says no"

Keep in mind I haven't checked out your stuff so you could be ready to start shopping around for a job.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    A good thing is to compare it to everybody else's portfolios. If you look at mine, I have around 1 year professional experience. Around 1½ year experience with 3d. That's 2½ years experience overall for me.

There are so many students out there that have such awesome artwork, you have to be on par with them. (you and me both).
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fresh out of school typically means a portfolio full of first time projects. I don't know too many people that can hit industry standard the first few times doing anything. So normally that means, "throw everything out and start practicing full time".

The only people landing junior and entry level positions are people with rocking portfolios that look like they're seniors but happen not to have any experience yet. You also have to compete with all the people who have been in the industry for a while and been laid off.

Since it sounds like you're not really sure your portfolio will land you a job, then you might not want to send it around yet. The reason for this is if you send it around now and they decide no, even with a few better pieces in it next time you'll have to fight that negative reaction. "Hey I've seen this before, we said no... humm I'm not sure some of this looks new but still my gut says no"

Keep in mind I haven't checked out your stuff so you could be ready to start shopping around for a job.

yeah i gues so! just keep on keepin on then.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A good thing is to compare it to everybody else's portfolios. If you look at mine, I have around 1 year professional experience. Around 1½ year experience with 3d. That's 2½ years experience overall for me.

There are so many students out there that have such awesome artwork, you have to be on par with them. (you and me both).

Yeah i have, and it dosent look good
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ I don't see why you wouldn't apply anywhere you can if you genuinely feel like your worth being paid for your abilities. The company I'm with now weren't hiring seniors or juniors. I just applied and it worked out.

If you're 'worried' about your portfolio however. Stay in your shed and get your skills up. Nobody will hire anybody out of pity. You have to prove yourself. SO like others have said above; compare yourself to the champs and emulate the awesome.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep I think you should compare yourself to what is out in the industry and try to beat that. If you set your sights on just beating your fresh out of school peers you're doomed to fail as most of them are doomed.

Let the industry be your measuring stick and also consider that what you see now, was worked on a few years ago. What they will hire you to work on will blow the doors off of what they've previously done, they don't want to hire someone who has trouble hitting a bar they set 3-4 years ago, they want someone who can hit a bar they themselves haven't reached yet.

Either way keep pushing forward and never get too comfortable.
  • .polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .polygon polycounter lvl 11
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18

I think you nailed it right on the money Mark.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    You should post your portfolio in the p&p section for critique etc. Your stuff in the portfolio section look good but they need some polishing. A better presentation like shots from an in-game engine would probably be better too.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The position I got as a junior wasn't advertised as a junior position. It became one when I took it.

Apply to anything you feel you could reasonably do. Pretty much anything that isn't asking for senior/art director is fair game.

The worst that can happen is they delete your e-mail, it's not like applying to a job and not getting it puts you on a blacklist or anything.
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The main thing is persistance. The amount of times I hear people saying "I applied for two jobs and didn't get them" and then they think about giving up is ridiculous. Apply for EVERYTHING you can reasonably do - the worst that can happen is you'll get denied which is no worse than never having applied at all.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Internships seem quite common in european studios.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Hamish wrote: »
    The main thing is persistance. The amount of times I hear people saying "I applied for two jobs and didn't get them" and then they think about giving up is ridiculous. Apply for EVERYTHING you can reasonably do - the worst that can happen is you'll get denied which is no worse than never having applied at all.
    Yeah. I probably applied to all AAA studios I could find when I was looking. Even if they didn't have a job announced.

I think I've applied to some studios multiple times.With a few years in between. If you ain't the right person now you might be next year.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Yeah. I probably applied to all AAA studios I could find when I was looking. Even if they didn't have a job announced.

I think I've applied to some studios multiple times.With a few years in between. If you ain't the right person now you might be next year.

I'm with Wahlgren on this one, just keep applying, be persistent and keep learning new things and updating portfolio in the meantime. :thumbup:
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    If you ain't the right person now you might be next year.

:thumbup:

looking for jobs in the games industry can be quite frustrating, even for "pros". Some employers give you the feeling you ain't worth anything and you have no XP at all in the initial phone interviews and at the same time others will think you're the best thing since sliced bread. It's an odd world out there...
  • homes44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with .polygon!

Him and I actually worked together at Disney. An internship was hands down the best thing I could have done. I learned infinitely more than i did at school haha. It gets something on your resume that tells people you know how to work in a studio environment professionally. Not only that, it goes back to what someone else said about not comparing yourself to other students and only comparing yourself to professionals - when you're completely surrounded by professionals and working 30-40 hours a week, your work will improve exponentially.

So, if you can't find an entry level job, I'd highly recommend applying for internships. Also, many times internships lead to jobs because of the relationships you build and you have an opportunity to prove yourself.

note: i'm really new to all this myself so i don't know how good this advice is, but i know it's been helpful for myself.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Knew there'd be a fairly newish thread like this about, so I'll jump into this one instead that already has some helpful comments.

Apart from the graduation ceremony I've finished this university course and am now considering what to do with the pressures of getting a job immediately. As Mark said, applying with subpar work would mean it could affect the outcome next time you apply with better work, although a few of you say you should keep applying. I'm just wondering which path to take on this one.

Should I apply for places now then work on my portfolio as I wait and see what comes of it before applying again, or put a hold on applying and work on a portfolio?
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    I would almost say to both. I don't think in our field there is ever a time to stop working on your portfolio. (Grant it working full time in the field, I'm sure there are times you get home and opening max is not what you want to do.) The last thing you would want is to have your work stagnate because you were job hunting. It's a trap several of my friends fell into and their now several months out of practice because they spent more time in word on their resumes then modeling, or what ever your focus is.

Personally, I applied to everywhere and anywhere that I could find that I felt I could turn out the work they wanted. Eventually I got a call from a few places and one stuck. Keep checking their websites and seeing what opens up, all the while improving your work as you go. Also go to any GDC or industry events in your area. They are worth the $ several times over.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Be prepared to move anywhere to get your job. I would be applying for every job you can and this means that you may have to move states or move countries to get a job.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    When I was still studying game art, I needed to find an internship, my portfolio wasn't that great but it was enough to get a internship in my opinion. I sent my details to lots of companies and didnt get a single positive reply.

After my studies, I made a map here on polycount, and after that I did not even have to apply anywhere, I landed a job two months later.

So if you want me, there's no real rule, one day you cant find, another you do.

Best idea is still to scrap what you did at school and make a new ambitious project to get highlights.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I have a question to add.

If you really feel like you want to nail a piece as a character artist, is it better to just go for the low-poly + textures with maybe a pose. or would it benefit a perspective employer to see it rigged, and put into a game-engine as a fully fleshed out character?

I'm thinking about doing this, but I'm pretty sure if I took the time it would take to do all that stuff I could have made another full character by then.

Bscly is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    I have a question to add.

If you really feel like you want to nail a piece as a character artist, is it better to just go for the low-poly + textures with maybe a pose. or would it benefit a perspective employer to see it rigged, and put into a game-engine as a fully fleshed out character?

I'm thinking about doing this, but I'm pretty sure if I took the time it would take to do all that stuff I could have made another full character by then.

Bscly is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush?
    From what I've seen most people don't present their models in a game engine. Before UDK and similar engines were used as widely I think people did it even less.
    I think marmoset toolbag or even viewport screenshots are fine. Pre-rendered images should be too.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »

Rigged and posed is always nice, but not essential. I do think seeing it in some kind of real time environment is nice, but keeping it in viewport with a nice shader should be fine too. Really, you just want your stuff to show well however you can. First impressions are huge when people are slogging through tons of applicants.

If time is an issue and your model shows off your skills well enough in the default pose then go with it and move on. :thumbup: Save the extra rig/pose work for your portfolio's centerpiece model.