Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Elijah Brown

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
Woot, I'm about to apply to a few places and would like some feedback on my site:

http://www.cg3delijah.com

Mostly, I would like to know if the site is running smoothly and if there are any blatantly horrible pieces I should toss out.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    The way you've done the thumbnails is really distracting (very odd shape, just make it square). And get rid of that texture overlay on each one. People are there to see your work not the same crappy texture splooged all over your work's thumbnails.

Just some suggestions :P
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hi Elijah! You have some nice stuff in there :)

What I don't like from the start is how you've set-up all the projects on the site, why show only a little piece of your work when you can atleast show a bigger shot. I have a 1920x1200 monitor and I already have trouble seeing the small thumbnails xD

Awesome stonepile is awesome, good work on that! The rockbridge isn't all that impressive, it might be the lighting but it looks a bit boring without context. The spiked barrier looks like an artest I've seen before, it looks a bit over-exposed I'd say but other than that good work.

The site runs smoothly for me, and watch out for spelling errors, you have them on the large shots screenshots. :)
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Simplyfi the presentation, get rid of all the stuff that is cluttering the images, both thumbnails then the weird frame in every pic with the logo. Just have your name and your email subtle in one corner, thats it. When it comes to the artwork your best work is the gothic window, that purple rock pile and the weird feather tree. Noticed the 8th image was not working for me. The character work is not living up to its potential, I would keep only the humanoid character "maybe". If you are aiming for a non character position, I would get rid of them all.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Straight off the bat what struck me was how unclear your thumbnails are. Thumbnails should be a clear as possible and not hide your work. This goes double when you have as many strange and unfamiliar fantasy objects as you do. Your thumbnails could stand to be wider and do away with the grunge/bevel - too noisy. I would also present your work on multiple, smaller images, rather than putting many shots onto one large image that has to be panned around unnecessarily.

The second big crit I have is that you rarely show off any texturing skills. Most textures are presented too small and seem a little muddy or broadly painted; and there is next to no evidence of specular maps. Spend some time in photoshop and give some pieces a little extra love!

You've clearly got some zbrush skills! but I think you have a fair bit of portfolio tweaking to do! Good luck with job hunting!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    I would make the pictures instantly bigger when i click them..I was almost tempted to just close your website because it made me click more then twice to look at your amazing work :P
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I like you're style. :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I clicked the images expecting free jell-o.

I am dissapoint.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for all of the advice guys, I had to wait till late tonight to get most of the things fixed, but I think I covered everything.

ceebee, c0ldhands, fearian, jungsik; Ok, I got rid of the thumbnails :D
    Thats why I post here, I tend to get excited, even though I should know better :)

Chrisradsby; Thanks for the advice, the arttest you are thinking of is actually mine, I think. I was told it was a one-off arttest, but someone else may have received it.

Here is the old thread. jesus, only 8 months ago, but soo bad, haha.

Thanks Joshflighter, most of my 'style' is being influenced by my current project, I should be able to release more info in the upcoming months.

Gsokol; Sorry, but I still got you to click tho :poly124:
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    @shrew81 That's why I remembered it ! :D so you were the one making that one eh? :) Cool.

Your portfolio looks 10 times better already, keep working hard man :)