Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] Guilty Gear X, London, Dani

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dani polycounter lvl 9
hey wassup:),

I decided to enter the contest and see what I could come up with, immediately I realised i never really played fighting games so started searching for some cool stages and I found this really nice one from Guilty Gear called London.

After thinking a while about what sort of variation I would make from the original stage I came up with the idea to take the stage and lift it up a few kilometers in the air "bioshock" style.

So I will be referencing the Bioshock infinite art style alot for the coming weeks, will post updates regularely.

Good luck everyone:),

originalplate.png

reference.png

Latest Wip:

wip10.png

Replies

• Dani
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Edited to keep thread a litle bit clean.
  • Dani
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Edited to keep thread a bit clean.
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, man. Love your idea and references. Nice progress so far!

As an observation, your materials look hand painted while I think both the original location and your inspirations exhibit of a more realistic style. I'd say stick to it. It will look more detailed and makes for a better folio piece since realistic stuff is always in demand.:)

Another thing is I think you shouldn't delve into so small details from the get go. The door knob is too small of an asset to spend so much time on it. Complete your scene on a bigger scale, if you know what I mean, and then come back if you have time and model the hell out of any knob you want.:)

Anyway the best of luck to you. Keep it up!
  • Dani
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    d1ver thanks man, I don't know why but I keep getting pulled into making it look less realistic, but while looking at it inside UDK I tought it might actually be closer to the style of Bioshock then when I would go for a more realistic kind of style.. time will tell if I made the right decision.
    About the details, you are absolutely right, its easy for me to get sucked into that kind of thing and I will leave those smaller details for when I've got something that represents my final vision of the scene.

Here is a litle update, the house is nearing completion (altough most of it is still wip I want to move on as soon as possible and perfect it later on when i've got more stuff done.. otherwise I might not make the deadline)

wip04.png

wip03.png

lemme know what you think.
  • protomd
    Really digging the details on the doors!
  • Dani
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Update:

Got the thing into UDK and did a bunch of tileable textures for the foreground. I've also redone a couple of textures to give them a more realistic look, I'm kind of keeping the art style in the midle between realistic and cartoony and adjusting everything while I progress.

Next up:

- Sidewalk borders.
    - Vegetation for small garden in front of house (behind the fences).
    - Redo window textures.
    - Start on stairs (located on the midleground to the left of the level).

Then the main focus should be on the balloons and the background houses. I'm having my exams in the coming weeks so its going to be hard to hit the deadline but I will make it!:)

wip05.png

Crits would be much apreciated! (thumbs up, cheers of joy and other forms of praise are welcome too ofcourse:P)
  • Dani
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Here is a litle update on the scene, didn't get to work on it as much as I had hoped but exams are over and it should be full steam ahead from now on to get this thing finished:)

wip06.png
  • S2Engine
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Nice, it's really coming along! Loving the machinery work especially.
  • Dani
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Litle update on the train, wheels are placeholder and I will focus on that area for the coming hours. I think I will leave the back like it is and not detail it anymore because it is barely visibile in the final shot. Let me know what you think:)

wip07.png
  • Dani
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Update:

wip09.png
    I've run into a problem, when baking the train prop somehow the resulting normal and AO map are screwed up bad. I can't figure out why, I've chamfered edges and used smoothing groups according to the rules. The UVW map is split along the smoothing group edges mostly and I have divided the whole mesh into several chunks for baking. Yet alot of parts either come out in a weird distorted way or inverted (like if it was baked upsidedown).

I would greatly apreciate any suggestions/tips for this problem, I know there are alot of secrets and rules when baking normal maps so maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.
    problemb.png
  • Dani
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Seems I won't make the deadline so I will take this scene and work on it for my portfolio, its a shame I didn't make it but sometimes real life just takes over:\ well it was a fun experience and I wish all of the amazing entrys the best of luck:)

I'll most likely open a Wip threat somehwere around next week, I'm still determined to finish this since I love the concepts and I am learning alot of stuff while doing it.

wip10.png