Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

City Environment

bunda4th
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bunda4th polycounter lvl 6
I had posted once but I kinda lost that thread with my work and a scene I had been working on but I took a break after getting back from my trip.

Here is what I been working on C&C welcome.
UrbanCity.jpg

Still want to add a few cars (maybe 2 at most) and some smaller props like small trash bin on the sidewalk.

You can check out the train and my other stuff at www.bun3d.com

Replies

• NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that stood out was the brick building in the back, you can tell it's tiling and it's extremely boring, need to add some corner pillars and ledges to break it up.

Overall I like the composition it just needs to be filled out, and I don't think a few trash cans are going to do it.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with Nochance, the buidling in the back is just a pair of cubes. Like you said, some smaller props and some cars will add more to the city feeling since right now the streets are empty. Also to have in the back of your mind, what kind of story do you want this picture to tell?
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Like it. I would add motion blur to the train and more important: make sure the sky blue is the same like the shadow blue. The point why shadows are blue is, that the global sky light (blue) can exist there because no sunlight hits the shadow surface. That means that the blue of the sky can be seen in the shadow areas and in your case the sky is a bit greenish but the shadow just deep blue.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    +1 on the buildning in the background.

Over all i think it looks good, but yeah it's kinda empty atm. I get a feel of zombie apocalypse when i see it, you could take it in that direction to. Add more cracks in the road, some crass ground from the ground. Some planks over the windows and some broken cars. Roadblocks? Could be cool..

Otherwise you gotta fill it up with more alive props.. Maybe change the weather and setting to very early morning?
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try adding specular on the surfaces that would warrant it, and increase it where you already have it. Everything seems so flat at the moment.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    A little bit boring I'd say, even though you got nice depth in the scene. I would be tempted to actually bend the rail a little bit so that it heads around a corner or something.

Nice work so far :)
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I'm definitely digging this. One thing I'd check -- either your camera or your lighting is making it look like these are miniatures. (It's usually camera settings.) Also, your windows don't need to go right out to the corner on every building, especially not on residential ones.

I'm excited to see where you go with this. Great job so far!
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    GTA 4.
    I like it. :)
  • bunda4th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies. I will try and break up the brick building more by adding trims. I will also be bumping up the spec as RexM suggested.

I had thought about going zombie apocalypse but decided I want it closer to just a small section of a city before any disaster. I might go back after and create a post apocalypse version as well where some type of creatures have roam free, but for now its more based on creating a scene using modular pieces and composition of the shot. Just making it look good basically.

With the suggestion given I will change my game plan to:

- create modular trims/pillars for brick building
    - create small props: trash can, traffic cone, newspaper box, etc
    - vehicles (started on 1 but going to do these last)
    - UDK (Play with shadow color/setting, spec setting, etc)\

I will try and get a new update by Friday since I want to get a lot done before posting again. Thanks again for the comments.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    This is very sick. Great atmosphere with the lighting and colors. Looks like some funky normals/shading on the train tracks though.
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great and I think once you get those suggestions fixed it will look even better. By the way it reminds me of Mafia 2 :)
    Another thing which stands out is the paper/rubbish stuck underneath the support beams of the rail. It might be a good idea to only have the paper/rubbish underneath a few support beams. Look forward to seeing your progress!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    needs more foregound
  • tyleenoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just the colors all seem rather flat. The textures on the train and rail seem very clean. Cept the road and sidewalk. They're not overly grungy but they do look at least like time has touched them. I just think the rail and the train need some more wear and tear love like you gave the road and sidewalk. They're going to have some more rust and dirt areas for sure. I'm not saying a crazy amount, but I think they should have some.
    I really like the perspective view. And again, like the texture of the road and sidewalk.
  • bunda4th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feed back. Still working on this when I get a chance and I should have an update tonight to see what you guys think of the slight light change, etc. Added a few more props and still working on a few more (unwrapping and texturing now). Trying to make the changes with the feed back given also.
  • bunda4th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update what I got done so far for this week. I plan on doing the vehicles now to add a bit more medium side props you can say. Things are to scale to the UT guy as I roam around. I also need to fix that window to the right building where the stone beam is cutting through.

C&C are welcome

City.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    needs more foregound

This. Maybe mash a tree in there? Next to the house to the left. Could go all the way down the street i guess. Just an idea (:
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Nice :)

Some cars would probably do the trick, maybe try the sun on the other side.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Materials still need way more definition...

Use specular maps to bring out smudges on glass and to also bring out normal maps on metal, as well as scratches too.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    building in the right side looks wrong. the glass should reflect all that sunshine that´s hitting the other side of the street!
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    it would be great to have something happening in the foreground, I mean, actually the streets are empty in the center of the composition, this makes the whole a little "dead". What about a police car or a van of an hot-dog seller...
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with kuki, you really need to add something to the street. Other than that, you've fixed the issue with the building and noticed the stone beam issue, so...looking good.
  • Impala88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to keep it more of a total city scape without foliage, you could possibly add some road works in, repairs to the metal supports etc, maybe even some kind of construction vehicle.
  • bunda4th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. I am currently working on some cars to put in now since I think that will really help the scene out.

RexM - I do have specular maps where it is needed and it is turned up but I am not sure what is going on with it. For some reason when I go to the other side the specular works perfect making bolts etc pop out more.

Kuki/dregoloth - I plan on doing a few small vehicles and will look into making a taxi or police car.

Impala88 - I do plan to keep it city scape with no foliage, I will see about adding more road work such as metal plates on the ground.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along well.

I agree that cars will help fill this out.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think some light foliage could make a huge difference. Some flower boxes on a handful of windows, some ivy vines, and/or some bushes. Good job with the update though, it looks good.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After taking another look....that white building in the background is a bit of an eyesore. Its too white...try bumping the brightness down.
  • bunda4th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER - I will look into creating some foliage for windows to break things up more. It will also allow me to practice making different foliage again since I haven't done foliage in a long time.

gsokol - I will bump the spec/reflection down on that so it does not glow like that. It is suppose to be glass window but it seem like the reflection is too strong.

I plan to have an update sometime next week. Stay tune :)
  • bunda4th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a small update on one of the car (want to finish this before friday). So far its at 1500tris (half) and 3000 tris (total). One question, since this will not have interior at all, what would be a good tri count on a simple vehicle like this? Also those are not N-gons (I detached the headlights)

Car_Wire.jpg
  • bunda4th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been busy with things and finally an update. I plan to wrap this up in the next few days. So far not sure how I should place the vehicles but plan on modeling 1 more.

C&C welcome

CityScape01.jpg
    CityScape02.jpg
    CRX_04.jpg
    CRX_01.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    The car has a ton of useless edgeloops, don't be afraid to terminate an edgeloop with a triangle or two, it isn't subd from what I can tell so triangles are fine. The car looks like a rough blockout of a Honda CR-X and not like an actual car, because you've spent the polies in the wrong places. It's also not very accurate; for example, it's too wide at the bottom, and the roofline looks quite funky, especially towards the back. You should always use blueprints when modeling a car, and take a close look at references. Even if you don't go for an exact replica, the most important thing is to get the general proportions, angles, and 'look' right, which you haven't. The car is also sitting too low, it looks like a custom lowered ricer or something. The light textures also look quite sloppy and sort of carelessly tacked on, and the actual light shape is too basic and chunky to look believable. Also you've filled in the front bumper lights with just solid color, which isn't right. You're also missing fender flares, something pretty much all cars have, which is once again hurting the believability of it. It just looks like you've missed all the subtleties of the CR-X (and cars in general) and sort of roughed everything in without thinking too much about it.

Just compare to this picture:
    800px-Honda-CRX.jpg

That looks like a well rounded, balanced, well proportioned car, with a good stance. Yours doesn't.

I apologize if I'm being too harsh but I've been modeling cars for 7 years and it sucks to see it done carelessly. I know the car isn't the focus of the environment, but that's no reason to do a crappy job.

Oh, and the rest of the environment looks really good too, which is even more reason to make this as good as the rest so it doesn't bring it all down.
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man, the first thing i see when i look at your scene is the top of your building, It really sticks out, no matter how much detail you put into the road or the cars or the foliage, I see a cube with no trim and windows that are up to high. Look at how real buildings are constructed. because little details like that make the difference.
  • barri allen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's coming along really well.
    I'd add some dirt at the junction of building and terrain, at the right bottom angle (that near to us, I mean).
    I like a lot the lighting and atmosphere.
    Made in UDK, or what else (forgive if you said that, I'm in a hurry and have skipped over reading, concentrating on images, instead).
  • bunda4th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh - Thanks for the critique on the car and do understand that there are some edge loops that can be remove and I left it like that is because of a habit I have when modeling cars. I try and keep things in quad and only use tris in certain area. The model is a 1990 honda crx but decided to make a few changes as I was modeling and texturing it. I knew of lights on the bumper but decided that this model did not came with it and I have the car sit lower since I prefer a lower car and without the gap you can't see the suspension. I will come back to this model and fix/change it up a bit as suggested if I have time since I have a few things line up and trying to get this done soon.

chinups - Thanks for pointing that out! I meant to change that for this update and completely forgot about it. Will fix that on the next update.

barri allen - Thanks, this is done in UDK.
  • bunda4th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final result. I am calling this done since I spent more time on this than I wanted to. I might come back to it in the near future but for now I am calling it done. Thanks for all the comments, really appreciate the help.

CityScapeF.jpg
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking very good. I love the CRX. I had two of them in my younger years, very fun car. :)
    My only crit is the cars and train could use a touch of motion blur. Currently they all appear to be sitting in place going no where.
  • bunda4th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! is there a way to add motion blur to them within UDK without having them move?