Home General Discussion

How many Polycounters use Twitter?

I have been thinking lately, I wouldn't have made any of the game development connections that I have without the use of twitter. I find it as a great, quick means of communication to network with people of interest. With it I have been able to make many friendships with people and gain considerable knowledge from them.

Any of you brilliant polycounters use twitter?

@Klumpmeister

Replies

• BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have it... I don't really use it, as I have yet to find someone decent to follow.
    Obviously that means looking on my behalf.
    Not a huge fan of tweeting as I can't really imagine people are interested in what I do all day... personally I find it a bit tedious listening to everyone's updates :/
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I've never used Twitter, and just recently deleted my Facebook account.

Just don't really see a point of it... Yeah I'm away from home, and sometimes it makes you feel like you never left, with the constant updating and all... but a nice letter or email just does the job. If not, there's always IM programs.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I have an account but I never log into it. I just check up on a few people's twitters every now and then. I don't understand those people who tweet something new like every 10 minutes.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I don't understand those people who tweet something new like every 10 minutes.

They're called attention whores - and the constant Twitter or FB updates are a very good tool to find out that they are useless, and that it's time to wipe them out of one's contact list :D
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just find Twitter useful for conversations with people than just tweeting everything that they are doing. You can do that on occasion but respectful twitterers engage in conversations and make more of an impact than just what they are doing.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i use twitter all the time it is
    makecg

add me and i will add you back
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    twitter sucks

just sayin
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    All social networks suck, until you get a life where using them is actually kind of nice.

Oh, and mine @BotchedBeetroot It sucks. Hasn't been a lot of dragon slaying lately.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    @daphzart

I don't tweet that often.
  • Skamberin
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    i don't get the whole social networking thing. but that may be cause i'm old and bitter. haha. but, if i'm not out at a pub, watching a movie, at diner with my friends. i'm probably working on something else.

and also, the immediate glorification of ones self is one of the things that the internet is totally guilty of...and so many people are jumping on the train. it's kinda of what pior said "attention whores". it's disgusting. who cares if you are going out to get fuckin ice cream or if you are "blue" today.

i don't know......i guess it's just like anything really. once something is born, there are those that will flock to abuse. guess it's no different than anything else.

***hey, i got some half acre gossamer's and some pizza and a movie. anybody game?
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    twiter, facebook...etc etc...whats next... another boring waste of time
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    maze wrote: »
    twiter, facebook...etc etc...whats next... another boring waste of time
    Like a public forum amirite?
    But seriously, facebook is nice sometimes, for getting back in touch with old friends or for keeping contact with friends/family who don't use IM services when you're out and about.

Twitter seems like it's only useful for people that really need to get messages out to a lot of people quickly, without getting all the extra hassle of facebook.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    keizza wrote: »
    i don't get the whole social networking thing. but that may be cause i'm old and bitter. haha. but, if i'm not out at a pub, watching a movie, at diner with my friends. i'm probably working on something else.

and also, the immediate glorification of ones self is one of the things that the internet is totally guilty of...and so many people are jumping on the train. it's kinda of what pior said "attention whores". it's disgusting. who cares if you are going out to get fuckin ice cream or if you are "blue" today.

i don't know......i guess it's just like anything really. once something is born, there are those that will flock to abuse. guess it's no different than anything else.

***hey, i got some half acre gossamer's and some pizza and a movie. anybody game?
    Facebook can be pretty useful if you want to get in touch/keep in touch with old friends etc. However I seriously resented facebook because of all the update floods until they put in a feature to turn off updates from certain friends. What annoyed me the most was that it was like people wanted to shove their lives in your face to tell you how "great" it is...
    Facebook can be good if you can control the information flood. I can easily get in touch with really old friends without any bigger problem. I think it's a great addition to the social networking and I don't have to keep tracks of people's e-mail address', phone numbers etc. There is a contact list and I can easily just contact them.
    Edit: @skamberin: Didn't see your post before posting this.
  • Talbot
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I really don't follow enough people who tweet about 3d, I think polycount, mapcore, Adam and thats about it. So more PC tweeters (twats?) please!

I rarely ever actually tweet from my account, it pretty much only reblogs from my sketch blog. But maybe I should use it for smaller, more pointless updates. @fearian
  • hawken
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    @maphart
    I just use it to follow game developers and fellow artists. :)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    with social networking comes the feeling that everything someone says is important, while it is not.
    anyway, I only ever use facebook to share links with friends, as most people i'm acquainted with check it much more frequently than their email. never even thought about getting a twitter or the like. i get sick enough of hearing about everyone's day from facebook. pretty god damn fun seeing a million ambiguous status updates just begging for you to ask what's wrong. if I wanted to talk feelings, i'd do it in person.
    :/
    also It blew my fcking mind that they made a movie about that chump mark zuckerberg. Aren't there thousands of more interesting things to make movies out of? Christ.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    @kenr3d

Just use it to get news updates because i find it more convenient than RSS feeds for me
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As someone who's trying to break into the gaming industry, twitter has been a pretty valuable resource to network one on one with people i don't know. I deleted my Facebook account and now just use twitter, often times just posting modeling or texturing tips or just general stuff about what i'm working on.

I'm @bgoodsell
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    think it's stupid, don't really see anything social about social networking sites, really if you want to connect with people get out of the dam house and leave your phone behind and you know talk face to face with someone and go to a party or something.

and as far as tracking interests i think a blog is a better formate i rather read a well thought out blog post than a bunch of small post threw-out the week that all have severe word caps on them.

twitter seems to be about quantity over quality to me.

edit: and who has the time to pick anything worth while out from the crap when i used facebook i had to weekly trim my friends list down and still the news feed was ticking by so fast it was useless.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Same as a lot here, use it for info, as well as just random conversation. Have discovered a heap of new artists/books/music etc just through recommendations...
    http://twitter.com/#!/gavku
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm #RichMakeGame

some people post interesting things, so follow them :). It's not all inane posts about what to have for breakfast. I don't post much mind, I keep meaning to try engage with it more
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i don't use twitter nor facebook haha
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Im angry at internet, it's mainstream and full of people who post about stuff I'm not interested in.

Also, my twitter: www.twitter.com/eldrone
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    passerby wrote: »
    think it's stupid, don't really see anything social about social networking sites, really if you want to connect with people get out of the dam house and leave your phone behind and you know talk face to face with someone and go to a party or something.

Twitter is better used as a kind of news service and link aggregator. It is not really for "social networking" as far as I'm concerned, although it depends on how you use it.

@AubreySerr
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see the point in twitter. I don't hate on it, but really what can it do for Me? What do I get out of it? I dunno.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    i DO check out shawn elliots twitter daily i must say. ha.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Eh, I use it to find links and keep up with artists and info. There is some good stuff out there.

This is me on twitter:

@Jeremy_WGA
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Facebook is a way for me to keep in touch with family and friends that I only get to see once a year.

I use Twitter to follow game devs that I look up to or respect, but don't know personally yet.

A lot of game designers will tweet their thoughts while working on designs or playing games, it's a great tool for picking up random bits of info (some more useful then others)
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My personal Twitter is http://twitter.com/#!/3DViking and my freelance/work Twitter is http://twitter.com/#!/davelee3d .
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    I use Twitter as a sort of news aggregator. I follow a bunch of video game companies and news feeds. It's sort of like a variation on an RSS feed for me. I have tweetdeck for chrome and it's a pinned tab, so I can get news every time I open my browser. I do follow some friends, etc., but I don't think of Twitter as being personal info like Facebook.

It's not necessary, but it's still pretty cool if you're into that kind of thing.

edit: I forgot to put this: https://twitter.com/#!/davidtschultz
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    http://twitter.com/#!/maurymountain

dont post too often, but put nuggets up here & there. I'm definitely not a "im taking a shit," twitter user :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I use twitter it's

http://twitter.com/#!/chrisradsby

but I usually don't tweet that I'm in the bathroom =P , I usually tweet quick thoughts about video-games or game development etc, sometimes stuff about photography. Sharing links of inspirational videos, great portfolios and artwork.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Living in a place very distant from game design and game artists, it's an invaluable resource for me to get in touch with game developers, besides Polycount of course.

My Twitter is: http://twitter.com/#!/in_prog

I rarely post stuff on Twitter, but I check it almost daily since GDC.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's nice to see others using twitter for the same reasons I do.
  • chrismaddox3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    Yep i use twitter and follow people who i have interest in,
    Like other game artist and tshirt artist and etc,
    http://twitter.com/chrismaddox3d
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I love twitter. I tweet fairly often about 3D, life, things that piss me off...pretty much anything. Sports. Fantasy Football. I'm pretty active so it's one of the best ways to get in touch with me.

I just added a number of you guys, thanks for putting up your info!

@Rurouni_Strife
  • Remmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remmers polycounter lvl 7
    http://twitter.com/Remmerstim

If you're interested ;) I share 3D stuff I make and give updates about the games i'm working on.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Never really got twitter. Never saw the point. I dont even see the point of following it really.

Most things I see posted arnt that interesting or if anything is interesting its generally posted on other websites I read already or friends just send links directly.

Dont really see the whole appeal of "exposure" either because if your trying to get into the industry chances are all the "right" people wont be following you. And if you do have the career/job you already want, who cares about exposure then?

I love me some facebook but I use facebook to stay in contact mostly with friends. I dont use it to try and push my work out there. The mundane things of peoples lives dont intrest me unless there my friends, and if they are, I generally have most on facebook where everyone dose that kinda silly stuff :)

I guess Polycount is the twitter I follow :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    passerby wrote: »

and as far as tracking interests i think a blog is a better formate i rather read a well thought out blog post than a bunch of small post threw-out the week that all have severe word caps on them.

twitter seems to be about quantity over quality to me.

edit: and who has the time to pick anything worth while out from the crap when i used facebook i had to weekly trim my friends list down and still the news feed was ticking by so fast it was useless.

Well different services work for different people; I think that reading longer format writing, like blog posts, rather than the short and fast twitter, could possibly improve your spelling and grammar... ;)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I love Twitter.

I get news through twitter, reminders through twitter, cool links through twitter and friends' updates through twitter. I get to communicate directly with bands, eCelebs, companies and interesting people.

I get to actually network through twitter, discovering things I'm interested by seeing who people I follow are following or by seeing retweets and links by the people I follow.

I get to talk to an audience that I don't have to give full access of all my personal details to. The direct communication is awesome. I can look up anybody on twitter and send them a message without having to be friends with them. You can also shield yourself from that too.

Mostly it's just awesome in its simplicity. I can do all of the social networking I want without having to create a whole facebook page about myself and have it locked off to only people I know.

I honestly don't use Facebook often. The people I know aren't very interesting and I don't care to share stuff about myself to most of my facebook "friends".

If you aren't using twitter I would say to try it out. It's all about who you follow. You don't want to be the guy who was hating on facebook a couple of years ago and got left behind.

http://twitter.com/KyleParsons
  • Thor Sowards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just recently started doing it, I just follow people whose work I find interesting. Usually they post some pretty cool links to look at. Kinda annoying sometimes but you get the good with the bad
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    @jungie_

I just use twitter to stalk people in sc2 and my fav artists
    add mee !
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    following most of you now : )