Home General Discussion

Possible that there are too many environment artists?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
Something I have been wondering about... I have always been told that "Everyone wants to be a character artist." and that it would be too difficult to get into that part of the industry without some serious skill because there is soooo much competition and so few jobs.

Well... what about environments? Yeah I understand that with technology increasing we are really needing more and more environment artists because the levels keep getting bigger and bigger. But there are so many threads here on polycount targeted to environment.

Is it possible that their could eventually be too many people trying to be an environment modeler?

Do you think jobs are just going to keep getting more and more specialized? An extreme example would be "yeah I am a rock modeler... I specialize in modeling rocks and cliffsides."

And I know it will probably be said... there are too many people trying to get into the the industry.

Competition is getting thick... (not that I worry about not being able to get a job) lol Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    As far as I've noticed there's a shortage of environment artists everywhere. Especially good ones. I don't think there will be to many of us around. Always need more.

About it getting specialized. Nah. My experiences tell me they want people that can do anything and everything. If you're good enough at something you might become the go to "Vehicle guy" or go to "Awesome tree-maker" guy.

As always tho, there's never a correct answer. There's always a studio out there with different work practices, i've just never seen one. At most it's something along the lines oof Environment artist, Vehicle artist, Weapon artist, Prop artist. Not tree, rock, mouse, door-artist.

So eh, wouldn't worry.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Games industry has a ridiculous turnover rate, don't sweat it. A lot of people realize after a few years that they don't want to raise a family while workin game industry type hours.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    Games industry has a ridiculous turnover rate, don't sweat it. A lot of people realize after a few years that they don't want to raise a family while workin game industry type hours.

That is a bit scary considering the type of girl I am with... lol
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is crazy to think there is a shortage considering all the awesome work I have seen here on polycount. I think to Orb's thread of the work he did on Crasher that just recently popped up in the pimpin' and previews... Lately it seems I am continuously reminded how much I need to learn and practice when I already do so all the time.

but I appreciate you guys sharing. Nice to get some other point of views...
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I think it's good to be continuously reminded of how much we all need to constantly be practicing. It's easy to start to get comfortable in a situation, but really, there's so much to learn!
    The video game industry is a difficult industry to become a part of, and there's heavy competition everywhere, but I think if you continue to be dedicated and do your best, you'll get there.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I think the biggest problem you might be seeing is that every student who dose lots of 3d props and unique modeled assets considers themselves an environment artist. When in reality most of the unique 1 to 1 assets in games are handled by the prop team or are outsourced. This dose not apply to every company though.

Being an environment artist is so different then a prop artist on so many levels. Really you have to become an environment artist at a game studio to fully understand what a production environment artist is. There is also a different between large Triple A projects (referring to money spent on the project, in terms of team size, marketing and production not the just quality) and smaller indie teams.

Example. A prop artist can spend days/weeks creating an asset unqiue asset with a lot of chracter, detail and story. An environment artist also dose thing but on a diffrent scale. Instead of just 1 asset they are doing it for an entire level where they need to put that character, detail and story in.

They also have to work close with design on how to keep the level flow working well to guide the player through the level so they don't get lost in all the art. Highlight certain areas of interest that the majority of players will see and also highlight the path players must take without it being like "hey follow this yellow blinking light in this jungle" They need to make sure the way they height light the game path follows the direction of the art but stands out enough and not to much for players to realize this is the way to go.

Environment artist must also play optimization masters when detailing with there level and have to carry the burden of lots of technical components such collision, maximizing level streaming in there level, areas too occlude others, lighting parameters, over draw from foliage, how many verts on screen at one time, texture budget, balance of foreground elements (characters, weapons, vehicles) and background elements (basically the environment, shaders and partials) are allotted for each section of your level to keep a consistent frame rate, so on and so forth.

This is something most students, and at the time, myself included, dont really seem to realize. Mainly due to the way things are taught at schools and the way a lot of artists do personal environment pieces. In school its more of a focus on unqiue props all having there own unqiue textures and shaders. A lot of environment artists when doing personal projects from what I have seen dont stick to the rules and constraints they are forced too when working on a production environment. They can unqiue map everything to make a stunning 1 shot environment, use super high texture rez maps as they dont have to budget in characters, frame rate, level length. Its all about making the best looking environment possible.

As a production environment artist its about making the best looking environment possible while add hearing to a whole lot of constraints to make the game its very best. Gameplay is ALWAYS king.

So just to wrap this up without talking for another hour, the reason it seems like there are a lot of "environment artists" is because students label themselves so even when most dont fit the model of "environment artist". This is fine and all if thats the job they want in the end but they should realize that for the most part, what they are doing is that of a prop artist and not actually environment artist.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I remember a year or two ago when people were complaining that there wasn't enough environment art going around and everybody wanted to be a rockstar character artist. Then UDK and Unity came along and suddenly everybody's about environment art.

Anyway. There's always going to be more demand for environment artists. It's just the nature of the job. They have more work to do than the character artists and their stuff is going to take up about 90% of all the visuals in most games.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I remember a year or two ago when people were complaining that there wasn't enough environment art going around and everybody wanted to be a rockstar character artist. Then UDK and Unity came along and suddenly everybody's about environment art.

Hahaha so true Swizz :P
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    If you're a good character artist you'll have a job, the same applies to being a good environment artist. The thing you're looking for is "are there too many artist with mediocre skills? (Regardless of dicipline)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47&order=desc

I guess environment vs character submissions ratio could speak for something. Just browse for a couple of pages.
    So I wouldn't be too worried, and yeah, okkun is on the money right there.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I can't speak for 'in industry', but I feel like on polycount and game artisans and the like there is an over abundance of character artists. I think on PC the ratio of env/prop artists to char artists is fairly tame, but over on GA just about every thread is character art.

Personally, character art bores me to death :\ Sure from time to time someone does this insanely original and detailed piece, but there's so much derivative* stuff around that it all blurs together for me. I couldn't explain it in a couple of sentences, but places have always captured my imagination far more than people could as far as I can remember. (literally!) I know I'm opening myself up for a 'every sci-fi / middle eastern scene' jab, but I think part of my thinking is that there is more room to maneuverer when aiming for a more 'original' environment than there is when creating a character.

Okay, I have no idea how that thought kept rolling out like that, bit off topic :)

*(NOT that derivative work is bad or low quality '90% of art is theft' etc. etc.)
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    You hit the nail on the head Autocon :)
  • giles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon, you should team up with Eat3D and make an Environment Art DVD :-)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    giles wrote: »

+1
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    tl;dr

The 3D/game industry is a buyers market and it's a saturated one.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    if you think there's too many environment artists, just be happy you're not trying to become a character artist.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    this argument assumes that all environment artists are interchangeable.

every project requires different styles, different skills.

from the hiring standpoint, there's a lot more resumes, but it's still just as difficult finding the right guys.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    What I don't understand is why you'd want to limit yourself anyways, why can't you be a kick-ass environment artist/prop-artist and a kick-ass character artist? It's not like Leornardo Da Vinci was only good at one thing.

Plus we can't expect every student or every regular joe to be awesome after Uni, or even awesome after they've landed their first job. People grow at different paces, what we need to look at is the willingness to learn, dedication, their hard-work and I guess to some extent their natural talent for art.

But hey maybe that's just me :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Agreed, and no, there will never be too many, because the offer is also increasing, a lot.

We see a lot of layoffs, yes, but we also see people getting hired on a daily basis, it's a growing industry my friends! :)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice post Autocon, some good insight for sure.

Now with that said, do you think we should be trying to promote ourselves as Prop Artist as opposed to Environment Artist?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    There are a ton of environment guys here when in the past there were not. This is true. However, this forum is not the median, theres a huge percentage of environment folks here compared to most other forums and I mean, people making game art environments not fancy rendered stuff without thought to practical console or pc development.

This is a good thing.

It means lots of pros can point to polycount as the definitive place to look for people doing cool game art and environment art in particular because most sites focus more on characters.

At the same time, yes it is getting tougher out there, the standards are getting higher and theres nothing to be done about that other than logging the hours and refining your craft!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    What I don't understand is why you'd want to limit yourself anyways, why can't you be a kick-ass environment artist/prop-artist and a kick-ass character artist? It's not like Leornardo Da Vinci was only good at one thing.

Plus we can't expect every student or every regular joe to be awesome after Uni, or even awesome after they've landed their first job. People grow at different paces, what we need to look at is the willingness to learn, dedication, their hard-work and I guess to some extent their natural talent for art.

But hey maybe that's just me :)

i agree with that. however there is some bit that causes need for limitation. if someone is working at a AAA studio, it is very doubtful (im only assuming because of.. well.. being realistic) that a person will work on both characters and environments/props.

now that doesnt mean that just because your job dictates you do environments, that you cant just do some characters for fun. i know that im not great at characters, but whenever i have some free time i like to dabble around with zbrush and try to come up with some fun busts or whatnot.

tho i have done some work for a small company that is just starting up, and while i was there, i was 1 of 4 people working on a demo. for the most part i was tossed whatever work needed to be done, be it modeling props, unwrapping characters, texturing, and level layout. things like that are expected from most small companies i guess.. or even outsourcing companies such as Liquid, 3Point, or any others.

in regards to graduating students.. well i guess it depends on the university.. mine however requires specialization. some of the instructors have always said "be a generalist" but thats because its what they did when they had jobs. one of my instructors once said "im not the best at one thing, but im amazingly mediocre at everything." now that statement kind of scared me at first, but then when i learned he worked for smaller companies that had a team of (at most) 15 people, i understood. he gives students the impression that they will never be successful in the industry unless they open up to all aspects of work.

now that bit i dont agree with.. because id say for the first couple years of university.. you need to learn everything so you can know what you are interested in.. but after that.. id say stick to one thing and make yourself extremely kick-ass at that.. once you have achieved that.. move on if you'd like. after a while, it seems that the best environment artist will keep giving the same sort of work, getting slightly better as they go.. it would be interesting to see how they can manipulate their skills to characters (example: how awesome would it be to see kevin johnstone do a charater for gears!)

one person's portfolio i often look at is Tor Frick ( www.torfrick.com )
    id say he is someone who has mastered generalization.

like chris said.. it is all about dedication, and from my point of view as a student.. there are a lot of students out there, or just generally people who want to be in the industry, but there's only a handful of those who actually have the dedication to pursue a career after they graduate.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Oniram wrote: »
    i agree with that. however there is some bit that causes need for limitation. if someone is working at a AAA studio, it is very doubtful (im only assuming because of.. well.. being realistic) that a person will work on both characters and environments/props.

Yeah of course, I'm just saying in my point of view I wouldn't mind seeing a person trying out different things. Most things art-related skills are transferable. And yes Tor Frick has an awesome portfolio and skills, def a favorite of mine.
  • RobertJamesPorter
    wow thanks Autocon that was really helpful, people have told me there are prop artists and environment artists but i was never told what the difference is! XD
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    this argument assumes that all environment artists are interchangeable.

every project requires different styles, different skills.

from the hiring standpoint, there's a lot more resumes, but it's still just as difficult finding the right guys.

I completely agree with this statement.

To add on top of all the "are you good at env art or not" line of thought... To be a good env artist, you must understand the tech side of things, you must learn how to manage budgets, learn a bit about lighting, vfx, design ect to compose your level to its maximum potential. Its never as easy as making a pretty picture and getting highered. Its why HR gun for people with nice shipped titles, it means they can do the art AND the tech required to ship a high quality game.

My hubble suggestion is take any and all job opportunities that come your way and start working on actual experience. It will instantly seperate you from the crowd. Freelance is a great place to start. Then try to get in at a small company of some kind. This might mean having to move to another country, so make sure you have a degree for a visa. From there ship something, and update your portfolio again. Start applying yet again, and do the process over and over till you wind up at your dream studio.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    this is why I don't call myself an environment artist on my portfolio.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    giles wrote: »
    Mistry10 wrote: »
    +1

+2
  • azarkiowa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    azarkiowa polycounter lvl 8
    Agree with Autcon, there are a lot of things related to being an environment artist than just making pretty pictures.. things like making collision, LODs, making sure stuff is streaming in properly, etc. Unglamorous, but it has to be done. And always testing.. testing your art in engine to see if it matches up with gameplay.

Unfortunately most game schools don't teach this stuff, either because they are not up to speed with industry pipelines, or because they are more focused on making students pump out pretty art. However I think a student can always demonstrate that he/she has limitations in mind when doing their artwork. That means limiting the use of 1 to 1 textures to important objects, watching polycount, thinking up some sort of gameplay scenario related to their environment piece, etc. And of course showing that they have good art skills in general.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Well said, sir.

In college they told students to pick a direction, either environment or character, and although character artists are looked at as the rockstars of the industry I feel that environment artists have a better understanding of working within the expected limitations and understand a wider spectrum of real-time-know-how. In college environment artists were stamped and branded as being the lesser tier in the grand scheme of things, which is wrong, because environment artists build more than pretty pictures. Its about designing level layouts which are well thought out, using vfx and animations to enhance the scene, knowing the engine, being conscience of the many limitations of working in games and the technical know-how that goes along with it. In my opinion their may be more environment artists then character, but that's because it's a better chance of being hired because they're more in demand, but you're right, as the industry floods with new artists it's everyone's responsibility to log the hours and keep up with the times. The constant needs to learn and absorb new skills and techniques for work is what makes this a career I want to be a part of, if the constant need to learn new ways turns someone off they're in the wrong business.

Dedicatation is definitely the key to the craft, and the demeaning environment artist stereotype that has been built up around the industry needs go away. Environment artists make our industry world a reality.

There are a ton of environment guys here when in the past there were not. This is true. However, this forum is not the median, theres a huge percentage of environment folks here compared to most other forums and I mean, people making game art environments not fancy rendered stuff without thought to practical console or pc development.

This is a good thing.

It means lots of pros can point to polycount as the definitive place to look for people doing cool game art and environment art in particular because most sites focus more on characters.

At the same time, yes it is getting tougher out there, the standards are getting higher and theres nothing to be done about that other than logging the hours and refining your craft!
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, there is alot of enviroment artists poping up these days due to the fact the word has spread it is the break in job for the industry now that most QA is no longer in house. Problem here is there is not enough quality enviroment artists who convay color theory or level flow into their work. We normally tend to see a pattern in folios with randomly placed static meshs and post effects that "look kool" rather then post that makes sense. I've always been a fan of function and lately ive had to really look to find it in peoples personal work and even profesional work. What happened to making things look like they work? Don't try to argue that its sometimes not in the budget or there isnt enough time to fit it in.

There is always time to add subtle detail to tell some type of story to the user that hey this once was lived in. I say don't worry about the other enviroment artists out there and worry about making your work stand out from the pack. If you think there is alot of enviroment artists out there take a look at some of their folios and find out what pattern they are modeling their porfolios after and move away from that genre or style then.

If you have what it takes to make it as an enviroment artist your work will speak for itself, if your unsure then just post here and the gurus like Kevin and Tor will be more the happy to point you in the right direction I'm sure.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    When I first started working I wanted to be a character animator but people told me that there were too many wanting to become animators so it would be impossible to me. When I wanted to become a character artist people told me once again that it's too hard and popular so I should do props and stuff instead. I ended up ignoring the popularity and difficulty after a while and just kept focusing on improving the skill I enjoyed working on the most. You shouldn't really worry about it too much, as long as you're good you'll do fine.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    That's the reason I love polycount so much... The Guru's here are the best way to get an honest and professional critique. It's the perfect way to grow as an artist.
  • WhiteNorthStar
    Mistry10 wrote: »
    +1

Autocon... +1

great post
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    holy necro, I clicked it again 2 years later
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ^ Echo, since we are on the topic where is the information needed for one to become an environment artist, wiki only? I'm now interested because of the necro and we must be everything now a days, adapt right?