Help me become a better Artist.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Fwap polycounter lvl 13
Hello everyone,

hmm, i don't know even where to begin?
Do i do some lame introduction such as this;
I'm 21 years young and my passions are Game development Primarily MMORPG's
And my favorite skillset is 3D art. They go hand in hand.

I lead a small development team with members across the globe, our goal to create an MMORPG or an ORPG atleast. we are using HeroEngine, and whilst i thought my work was sickyeah for engines such as RealmCrafter ect, when playing with the big guns my art doesnt seem to cut it.
I seem to lack the creative ability to make some original, good looking and up to todays standards, so thats why i have come to this community because i know ill get the god honest truth and honest help.

But then again ive never really been a big fan of intros like that, because writing, or typing i should say is not my strong point! (+10 points for wishing i listened in school when they said "you will need this later in life" me"PFFFT, im going to be a rockstar! you dont need maths to shred on a guitar mother fuckers!")

So maybe ill just stick with something simple like this;
I feel i can do better with my 3D art skills, can you guys give me some crits on my recent work? maybe give me some tips on how to become more creative or some books that are a decent read, Traditional art or 3D?
then show a bunch of screenshots that make people bleed from the inside out.

like this:
stairscreen.jpg

newrockface.jpg

capturehkq.jpg

Replies

• Kiser Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
    Practice practice practice. Books and tutorials are helpful but only get you so far, and has been debated here and elsewhere that they hinder you more than help you.

I am currently a student learning game art and I constantly feel like I need to improve and come to these forums when I can to get input. I find that the more I practice, the more i learn...common sense I know... but the improvements are more than just understanding, my speed increases as well as quality. Mistakes I could hardly wrap my head around in the recent past seem so simple now that I have overcome them.

Some helpful sites that I look at from time to time are:
    Polycount.com (obviously... im here every day)
    3dtotal
    cgtuts
    worldofleveldesign

There are many others and you will find your favorites over time. Push yourself by ramping up the difficulty in your models every time. One of the first things I modeled in school was a old style tv. I spent so much time on it dealing with problem areas and things I didnt understand ready to toss my computer out the window and in the end all it was really was a simple cube with some extrusions/bevels. The very next project I decided to push myself to model something I wasnt sure i would even be able to do, but I knew if I didnt, more than just my grade would suffer. I worked really hard taking what I had learned from the nightmare tv and built a badass (at the time) sci fi blaster. I was so proud of myself. Now i look at it and know I can do better because I continue to learn.

As far as the work you have posted.... some comments.

The stairs: You have lots of hard edges and it looks like your normal map/diffuse is really soft/blurry. Also the carved inlay on the sides is nice, but it dosnt make sense to have it on the inside on the wall and terminate at the steps.

Wall: Im guessing there is no normals on this since your polycount is pushing 2 million. That will never work in game. Bake it down to a LP. Also, your texture is very obviously tiled.

House: there is not a lot to say since this is mostly simple primitive shapes, but from this size it looks like you may have a few ngons, and the scale on the stairs seem really off.

Keep working and it will get easier as you go. There are no magic tutorials or books to make you better. Only time and effort will do that.