Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: BOTANIST

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
here is something i started working on today. im new at this ( i say that a lot cause i dont wanna get yelled at, well to much lol) so please let me kno how im doing. school is out this week, finally done with my 4th quarter :D so yea.

i decided that even if school is out it never hurts to practice, and since i have only taken 1 modeling class so far, this gives me great practice.

comments: i have posted the face of this on facebook and the first comment i got was, "so many loops" is it? i mean, i have no clue how to use zbrush, so im not tAking this into zbrush, will just model it on Max from beginning to end or at least till i learn zbrush in the near future.

the concept: was not made by me, was a file passed on to me, bottom corner says C - taylor fischer, so taylor is the artist for this im assuming.

wip.jpg

im having some trouble with the correct proportions on the face, i did use reference images (closest one i could find that matches the Botanist's face, just seems i cant get the lips to come out fine... or the nose for that matter. here is the close up

wip2.jpg

and here is the face with turbosmooth.

wip3.jpg

i see i need to puff up the top lips maybe? and i kno the side of the nose doesnt fully round on the sides... well let me kno what i need, thanx!!!

Replies

• trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Is this a game model or intended for subdivision? Deciding now will help you later.

The face loops are technically ok, but the face itself is not. You should focus less on making pretty loops and more on making it look like the character. Basic anatomy shouldn't be ignored either - the eyes should be midway between the top of the head and the tip of the chin... thinking that the eyes are closer to the top is just the result of an illusion probably caused by the hair.

I also think she really needs some cheekbones and that her shoulders shouldn't be that broad, but it's a good start.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx for the comment. Honestly idk what subdivision is. I'm going to school for game art and design, so I guess this would be a game character but u can explain the other one lol and I do see what u mean about the eyes, they will come down more. Thanx!!
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:

fix the eyes like recommended, i think it looks better, still having some issues with the lips tho :/ . started on the back pack and worked on some of the topology on the body.

the eyes fixed:

wipFace.jpg

started on the backpack here. having issues with it, not sure why... any ideas?

wipBP2.jpg

continued the backpack, still missing a lot, the straps, flaps, and fix the topology. recommendations welcome please.

wipBP3.jpg
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly idk what subdivision is.
    Subdivision = Meshsmooth/Turbosmooth. You used it in your third picture.

The backpack looks pretty good so far. I'd keep working on the face though.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh ok ok I see, so a subdivision model in Max would just stay in max? I won't e doing anything with this character, like I said, idk how to use zbrush so might just conpletely model it in max, so I can subdivision it as much as I want? And thanx on the backpack and yea the face needs help :/
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess you could, if you're taking it to zBrush anyway. I'm still learning zBrush, so I'm probably not the right person to ask about that. Hopefully someone else will come along with more information - it's a great concept, so if you pull it off it'll be a great portfolio piece.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx for the help, really appreciate it. And yea hope it's a great piece once in done. One thing I did notice tho is, I rush things a bit. I started this yesterday and I think I'm pretty far on it, I seen other great pieces and they take weeks, even months, so I need to slow down, take my time, pay more attention to detail and I'm sure my work will be much better
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is an update on the body and face. (not sure how to link bigger pics, sorry). anyways, started working more on the face and body, i do realize i have to do major corrections on the arms, to floppy, skinny, and no muscle what so ever right now, will get to that tomorrow i hope. still missing some straps, and im continuing to work on the backpack tomorrow for sure. im still debating if i like the pockets or not, so for now, they might linger a bit lol.

wipsheet.jpg

for the boots, well the reference is hard to see what the boots look like exactly, but im assuming since she is a botanic girl, she might wear some organic boots so thats what i looked for online and came up with this.

wipBoots.jpg

its a mixture of some organic boots i found and the ones on the concept. any ideas what i should do?
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im having some issues doing the jacket and scarf, does anyone have a link to a good tutorial to use? or a technique maybe? thank u in advance
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    are u planning on bringing this into zbrush at all? generally tho for clothing it may be a good idea to take a look at this..

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/153/Character-Modeling-for-Production

its a few years old but still holds up very well. a lot of it is done in max, with some zbrush for refining intricate detail. our library has this so u can get it from them next week if need be.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh thats perfect! thanx sean, and i would love to take it into zbrush but i havent taken a class on it yet, so no clue really how to use it. do u have any other comments about the model? im really looking forward to finishing this tho. i want it to be portfolio worthy even if it means i have to wait quarters to take zbrush classes in order to work on this and make it better
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    id say what needs the most work right now is the face and hair. use the freeform tools in max to just push it around and get the anatomy of the face looking more woman like. the backpack is cool, and i really like the pants.. but with the pants try to add in some wrinkled detail.. just edges pushed out and pulled on top of each other.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I was planing on doing that, just wanted to make sure I get everything where I want it before I add some detail. So what do u think? Keep it on max and turbosmooth? Or wait till I learn zbrush and take it there? The hair was just to see kinda how I wanted it, backpack is alright, will work more on it. Face yes, more work for sure :/ I'm def getting that DVD tho. Wish I had my tutor again... Lol
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    This is a great start! I really love the concept. The proportions are bothering me a bit, the character feels a little wide and the arms feel very brittle like an elderly ladies arms maybe. I know its a cartoon but you can push these things to make the character more believable.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx toxic and I already worked more on the arms just haven't posted it yet. Got help from a friend :) backpack looks a bit better, face... Still working on it. Scarf... It's there now but looks plain at the moment