Home Technical Talk

Fun ? about LOD acronyms

We probably all know that LOD stands for Level of Detail and we probably know what it's for and how it works, but what does SLOD stand for?

What does the S stand for?

Is it:

silhouette level of detail
super level of detail
simulation level of detail
sub-level of detail

Something else?

These are things I've found trying to find the answers on google, hoping some guys in the industry who have worked at SLOD level can clear up what it means :P

I think it is silhouette, as it makes total sense that all this is for is giving a silhouette from far away without any details, but I am assured I am wrong, I may be, I used to think it was "super lod" too, but I have grown to see silhouette as logical, while only people who have worked in the industry and "know for a fact" can confirm what this really means. So, what does SLOD stand for? :P

Replies

• gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    oh damn, i thought this was going to be a game, like we make up acronyms :(

loud overweight douchebag
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passive aggression is wimpy. But tell us how you REALLY feel? lol

Yea, just wanna know what it means once and for all so I can commit to that in my brain.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    This is the first time I've seen the 's' even added.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    cryrid wrote: »
    This is the first time I've seen the 's' even added.

a programmer mate of mine used to throw SLOD about a bit. I think he was refering to collision proxys.
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SLOD, the word has made me cringe.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    once you overcome the fear of looking like a newb - just ask! :)
    I like it when people ask questions - show's they're interested and not just nodding along all the time. I like it even more when people speak clear plain English rather than throwing acronyms around all the time. Shows me they know what they're saying and not hiding behing a wall of abstruse terms they may or may not know.

Now actually I dunno either what an SLOD is. Maybe it's just a studio internal term of that one place? Or it's a new games industry buzzword in the making...
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Acronym Finder says the S is for Simulator.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I think people say LODs. As in plural LOD. I've never heard SLOD.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    My logic tells me it's Shader LOD.

If a character is 15 pixels tall, fuck parallaxed normal maps and reflection maps on the eyeballs. Just render the diffuse map + vertex normals. I think UDK calls this the 'fallback shader' but I'm not entirely sure.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A fallback shader is for hardware that does not support the target shader. It has to do with hardware support instead of distance from camera and stuff.

You have

LOD0 - standard mesh
    LOD1 - optimized mesh for far viewing
    SLOD - even further

Actually, I just answered this when grabbing these screens.

it is super lod. Which is a retarded name. But anyway, here is a regular model you'd see in GTA IV:

normal.png

and here in an SLOD:

slod.png

While rockstar are not the only one's using SLOD, it is certainly a term that would be alien if you're using Unreal or other engines that can't do half of what GTA IV does. Well, I suppose some of the features of the new march UDK start to catch up with RAGE, but IV had all that shit from the latest UDK demo way back in 2007. Besides tesselation, IV did all that stuff.

You'd never need SLOD in UDK, cause it can't do anything near to the size of Liberty City without fake streaming it supports, and even then, you can't do open world GTA kind of game. I'm not saying you wouldn't use multiple levels of LOD, but they would be sparing and rarely needed with how small worlds are in the visible range of UDK.

To make "super lod" make sense in my mind, I am required to consider it something special about the lod system itself - a successor to conventional LOD.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I'm curious. How is it different to LOD2?
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

lol. good question. why go 0, 1, then completely fail to follow the guideline and call it super lod. what about the next lod? super duper lod?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    00Zero wrote: »
    lol. good question. why go 0, 1, then completely fail to follow the guideline and call it super lod. what about the next lod? super duper lod?

This would be the next lod. :D

LOD.jpg
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    sprunghunt wrote: »

by calling it SLOD you refer to the last LOD, no matter how many LODs are inbetween. Guess you can stay flexible that way when talking about LODS since you don't have to remember how many there actually are.

Kinda like when you have a queue there is a word to describe the beginning element (aka first) and the last element (aka last). With LOD0 being the first and SLOD being the last?

Anyway, feel free to pick my interpretation apart ;)