Home Unreal Engine

Ambient Occlusion help

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Pogo_Daddy polycounter lvl 14
In my scene, I want ambient occlusion but its appearing inside the grate of my windows and blocks the light behind it. Is there anyway to turn ambient occlusion off of a specific object? I tried checking off "Allow ambient occlusion" in it's properties, but nothing happens.

f0a512d5.jpg

I'm using Augest build. The grate part is a flat plane with a mask and is a single object with the windowframe. Thanks :]

Replies

• Legend286
    Offline / Send Message
    Legend286 polycounter lvl 9
    Pogo_Daddy wrote: »
    In my scene, I want ambient occlusion but its appearing inside the grate of my windows and blocks the light behind it. Is there anyway to turn ambient occlusion off of a specific object? I tried checking off "Allow ambient occlusion" in it's properties, but nothing happens.

f0a512d5.jpg

I'm using Augest build. The grate part is a flat plane with a mask and is a single object with the windowframe. Thanks :]

You should be able to disable AO on individual meshes if I recall correctly, try selecting it and using the search feature.
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Legend286 wrote: »
    You should be able to disable AO on individual meshes if I recall correctly, try selecting it and using the search feature.

I only found "Allow ambient occlusion" and it didn't change anything when I clicked it ]:
  • Legend286
    Offline / Send Message
    Legend286 polycounter lvl 9
    Pogo_Daddy wrote: »
    I only found "Allow ambient occlusion" and it didn't change anything when I clicked it ]:

Oh, it should.
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Allow ambient occlusion applies only to AO baked in the light maps. The problem you seem to have is with SSAO. You can turn this off by making a custom post process chain and tweak the settings.
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Just to clarify though, you can't turn SSAO on and off on different object, it's a global post process, so it's applied to the whole image using the depth of the scene. Do you have a plane behind your window for the whiteness? Maybe try moving it back more?

As SanderDL said, you should also tweak the default SSAO settings, which often aren't so great.
  • Pogo_Daddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help :]

I was hoping I wouldn't have to create a post process chain, but after doing so, the icky shadows disapeared