Home Technical Talk

Wtf is up with linear falloff?!?!?!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
pthomas1172 polycounter lvl 10
Come on guys?!? Stop using linear fall off with spot an point lights. Have u ever seen a linear falloff in real life.

Sorry...
Sorry.

It just pisses me off to no end to see a production game with all the lights with linear falloff

Replies

• equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if realism is your issue then light falloff should be the least of your worries.

i have no idea what response you're looking for but linear falloff might be used because it's cheaper or easier to control, and some engines don't even support quadratic or cubic falloff.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Who cares if it isn't physically accurate?

If it looks right, it is right.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    All lighting in games and pixar movies and 3d in general is faked. Volume lights + linear falloff for the win.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Games should use linear workflow before considering lighting decay.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    -yeah, ignore this-
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on the environment and how strong and how far light travels... I really don't know what you're carrying on about? You can get some amazing results that can be a lot quicker and cheaper (techwise) with linear, if you know what you're doing...

in short: Yea what Swiz said.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    From what i understand, some ( usually older ) games can't really afford using proper quadratic falloff - because to get a similar look the light bounds would have to be much larger, causing a lot more fragments to be shaded and a bigger performance hit. ( at least for realtime lighting )
  • pthomas1172
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pthomas1172 polycounter lvl 10
    But i feel as games get better its something that needs more attention
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    perna wrote: »
    the hell?

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    But i feel as games get better its something that needs more attention

Linear and quadratic and other kinds of falloff won't be important things to worry about until ray tracing and ray tracing-based radiosity calculations start to be done in realtime in games. That's when games will actually start to become photorealistic, and that's when we'll need to start to worry about representing things like lights more realistically.

Until that time comes, it doesn't matter if we use linear, inverse-square or your sister's underpants to determine light falloff. I repeat: If it looks right, it is right.

Besides, there are more important things to worry about. Fluid, cloth and hair simulations, efficient skin shading techniques, more advanced tessellation technology, megatextures and procedurally generated content, AI, smoothing out kinks in animation and motion capture, lip sync technology, destructible models, more efficient implementations of camera effects like bokeh and per-object motion blur...

Those are just a few of the things we need to worry about before we'll ever start to have to worry about whether a light's falloff is physically accurate. And even then, falloff is only something that a hardcore realistic sim might make devs worry about; it makes no difference to the people who play the game.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    If you want realistic falloff then you are going to need every surface in a level touched by every light. For static lights thats fine as long as you are also baking probes, but nonlinear falloff is hard to control. Quake3 used it for baked lights and it was super annoying because you can only specify a color and brightness, no radius.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    If you want realistic falloff then you are going to need every surface in a level touched by every light. For static lights thats fine as long as you are also baking probes

Similar to what lightmass does right? Creating a grid and doing directional samples of the indirect illumination.
    Also I had noticed that UDK has a default falloff exponent of 2 for its static lights. Things seem to be in order, Am i misunderstanding something here?

02CharacterLightingLit.jpg
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna on 03-26-2011 10:24 PM
    the hell?
    Troll-Doll-troll-dolls-1353648-640-480.jpg