Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] Art of Fighting 3, Quixotic Temple Stage1, Rapante

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Rapante polygon
Heya,

finally got my lazy ass up and got me a fine Stage to re-envision

I chose the Quixotic Temple Stage of Art of Fighting 3, another classic 2D arcade fighter by SNK

Aof3quixotictemple1bg.gif

[LAST UPDATE]

shots3.jpg

I wanted to give it a SCI-FI edge but still look ancient and basically deserted so my vision kind of looks like a mix of this crappy overpaint and these reference images

op.jpg
refs.jpg

this is how far I am with my blockout / basemesh 1st pass.

the roof thingy and those towers in the corners are just a crap block pass so far so don't mind them :) once I get the blockout done I'll look into destroying some of the pillars and aqueducts to give it that rugged and ancient look it deserves. after that zbrush time :)

cam01.jpg
cam02.jpg
cam03.jpg
persp01.jpg
top.jpg

Replies

• S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Hey this is really cool, I like the flowing forms you've got going on with the architecture. It's similar to a project I've got on the backburner currently, would you mind sharing how you go about that? Any tricks with curves or the like?
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    thanks, glad you like it!

usually I just tend to set up shared smoothing groups and subdivde sh*t out of it to get the curves (with smoothing groups as a limiter/constraint ticked in the turbosmooth modifier)

if you want to, I can post a before after pic :)
  • AKAperly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking solid dude; good to see some more SNK love.
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante wrote: »
    if you want to, I can post a before after pic :)

That'd be awesome! I'm more of a Maya user currently, but maybe I can find some similar technique or translation of the method.
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    S2Engine wrote: »
    That'd be awesome! I'm more of a Maya user currently, but maybe I can find some similar technique or translation of the method.

workflow.jpg

that's my usual subd workflow, I don't think there is anything like smoothing groups in Maya (at least not last time I had to work with it) basically what it does is it averages the models vertex normals for faces which have been assigned to the same smoothing group, makes car and hard surface modelling quite convenient :)
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, so by setting up the smooth groups, turbosmooth retains border edges? I think there could be a way to do something similar in Maya using Soft/Hard Edges, but I'll have to experiment with that. Is that the method you used to create those large glass panel architecture pieces?
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    S2Engine wrote: »
    I see, so by setting up the smooth groups, turbosmooth retains border edges? I think there could be a way to do something similar in Maya using Soft/Hard Edges, but I'll have to experiment with that. Is that the method you used to create those large glass panel architecture pieces?

yep, it does retain border edges between faces with different smoothing group ids. guess soft/hard Edge would work indeed.

as for the roof - it wasn't so far (the ref shots are purely inspirational, didn't do them), so far it had been really dirty blockout modelling, but today I worked a bit on the roof.

this is what I have so far

roof.jpg
  • Buckster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hells yes! I am loving the flow of the structures here. It kind of mimincs the feeling of the waterfalls in the original, haha, at least in my head it does.

Good work, I am looking forward to more updates.
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    just a quick update. not making too much progress, because I am a bit sick at the moment, but still I try to get some stuff done. finally got some more of the roof structure in place, which leaves a few structural elements of the roof, the "egg" reactor thing in the middle of the roof structure and those towers in far background left until I finally go into zbrush

shots3.jpg
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    This is looking pretty sweet, some of your subdivision stuff though looks a bit messy :x