Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Super Smash Bros. - Mario - Malus

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Malus polycounter lvl 17
Eeeep. o_0

I got a bit of feed back on my original idea and everyone seemed to like it so I'm thinking of switching over from doing Raiden to Mario.

Bit wary of JFletcher's entry but its a Brawl after all. :)

So here's the gist of it.

Super Mario (aka el fontanero) is Mexico's undefeated Lucha libre champion.

In an attempt to take the championship belt from his rival, Mucho Bowser has kidnapped the beloved ring girl and fight organiser Peach from her bar/ring "Peach's Castle".

The only way to rescue her is for Mario to fight Mucho Bowser in a series of unsanctioned, no holds bared, underground wrestling matches....to the DEATH!!

I'm going to try make him really seedy looking, like a bar room brawler/wrestler.
Prison tats, hairy, dry blood and slobber etc.

He'll also have a big green whacking pipe, its no holds barred wrestling after all!

I did a quick concept sculpt, it's still far off what I want but it gives the gneral idea, really need to find a way to make the mask as Mario as his iconic hat is. :|

marioconceptsculpt001.jpg[/URL]

marioreference001.jpg[/URL]

Replies

• Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    finally! :D

awsome to see you up in here posting the awsome arts man ^^
    killer idea too, extra clothing articles are gonna be tight yo :)
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    That's awesome! Reminds me of the strongmen from family guy, hahaha
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL! wot wot wot happened to Raiden! but anywho this guy rocks :D Maybe needs more sparkley undies however! and totally do that mushroom tattoo! Thinking of giving him cauliflower ears boxing/wrestler ears?? If you don't do the green pipe, you could slip a wrench into the back of his pants for "backup" :p

-Toasty
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Cheers guys.

Nizza:
    I'd better finish this one hey...I'm so bloody slack with doing my own art, Toasty and Hazardous are always busting my nut for it. lol

Extra clothing bits are coming, I want to get some shoes and gloves in there so he matches the complete Mario outfit, just with a fighting slant so training gloves and the good old wrestler lace ups.

He will also have the obligatory championship belt, complete with stars.

Toasty:
    Yeah, Raiden was my number 2 pick, not sure why I didn't just do this guy from the start. :poly115:
    I'll make his outfit more like the El Santo version in the reference but sparkly undies is a cool idea, lol.
    Was going to do the munted ears, although you won't see them under the mask, was thinking of having a masked and unmasked shot.
    As for the pipe I want to make a beaten up old green water pipe, with the paint all flaking off and a chunk of bloody hair stuck to the end.

Tattoos are a must as well.

Updates might be a bit slow going, I'm literally working on it between fits of fever. Awesome flu is awesome!! :poly114:
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Flu" sounds like code for "too drunk/lazy/asleep/coma/turning into a zombie" or "too busy playing those damn arcade doohickey games you kids are into!"

-Toasty
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    So basically this:

uno.jpg

but fatter?
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Not getting the image MattQ86. :(

Edit: I see, kind of, just less a skinny geek with a Nintendo lol. :P
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    How about now?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    HAHAHAHAHA dude this is a crack up - you absolutely have to finish this its gold!!!!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    :D great concept , totally an occupation that mario could be doing if het got tired of plumbing
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is okish..maybe...could be better, needs more updates..... :P

-Toasty

p.s. how's the flu?
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Hazardous:
    Cheers mate, will do. :)

Ravenslayer:
    I thought it was a pretty apt fit. Morrigan's wicked btw mate, love the backpack.

Toasty:
    I finally drag myself out of bed just to see you busting my chops. :P
    Flu sucks but I should be at work tomorrow though mate.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Just playing around, hair or no hair?
    I know Mario should have it but I kinda like the bald look.

wip001.jpg
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I like no hair. :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    This is a great idea, I love it. Cracks me up.

I think he needs to have hair to be more recognizable as Mario. To me it's Hat+Moustache+Outfit=Mario. Since there's no hat in the design, the hair could help it a lot.
  • bunivasal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno. If you look at a lot of SNES-era Mario art, you'll notice that his eyebrows and mustache are black, but his hair is brown. Give your luchador here a toupee, complete with Mario's cowlick!

My only concern is finding a way to make it clear that you've still got Mario in there somewhere. My vote? Include the Super Feather cape, add the classic Mario insignia to the mask, and give him Mario's gloves. Mario has a hilariously bulbous nose, too. Maybe close the deal with a portrait tattoo of Peach?

I don't know if the contest rules support this, but why not include a Fontanero en Fuego alternate skin that matches up with Fire Mario's color scheme?