Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Clem EVANS, Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Kharn polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys!

Im looking for a job as an Environment Artist, crits for both the content and site are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

www.Kharnivor.com

japaneseguarden.jpgsteps3.jpgdestiny2.png

Replies

• mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I'm just a peon, but here are my thoughts:

Website

-Not sure if it was a one time thing, but it took a few refreshes to load your page.
    -I wasn't really interested in seeing the back of your character in the banner there. He needs to do an about face.
    -Your WIP page is blank. There's not even something there saying you're not working on anything, which, you should be anyway if you're trying to build up your portfolio and nab a job. Join the Brawl contest!

Resume

You being motivated and passionate doesn't set you apart from anyone else I know trying to break into the industry. Those are a given. Why should I hire you? Why are different? What are you offering?

Consolidate means to combine into one. Not sure what you're trying to say there.

Overall, you have some words capitalized and others not. Capitalize animation in "Computer animation," for example.

Your bullet points are too long in my opinion. I would take out all the bits about what year project it was and use your limited word budget to describe the project. Also, change 5 to "five." And I'm pretty sure they have a name for your second year project. It's called compositing.

Actual work

All of it looks really good to me, but I'm still going to give you some crit.

I think their is too much lighting in the garden scene. The shadows aren't black enough and the sunny areas seem pale because of it. If you look at the bottom half of the image, particularly the rock, it just looks really uniform and uninteresting to me. Everything is the same brightness it seems.

Dwarf Side Scrolling thing

I know it's a side scroller, but part of me really wants to see that thing head on if possible. The front of the gate seems a bit boring. The gate is there to keep things out. Maybe change it so there's a few skeletons there who never got in, or maybe the gate is opening and this really warm light is pouring out and some dwarf party is walking in. There's a lot more you can do to this to make it more interesting, because honestly, right now I'm looking at it for two seconds and moving on to the next image. There is nothing memorable about it.

Destiny

You probably haven't modeled it, but would have liked to have seen more in this scene than a hallway and some doors. Maybe open up the door on the left and show a sick bay or whatever is suppose to be in there in real life. Think about what would please a fan of Stargate if they saw this, but also think about someone who doesn't watch stargate and what would please them also.

Hopefully that gives you some stuff to think about!
  • PolyTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your Syfi environment is mush to dark. any detail you may have modeled or textured is wasted on a dark lighting setup. I like the Side scrolling environment it looks really nice
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Site is alright, but banner is too large as it's creating a full (lower rez) screen of blank space. I'd remove it.

Japanese garden is probably the best environment piece, but it's a let-down that there is ony one image of then, then a few oddly cropped assets. It's a running theme that none of your work is presented with any information, just random jpgs.

Side scroller scene is too dark, tough to tell what's actually going on there. Presentation is bad too since the camera is so far away from all these tiling details. I remember you having this problem during the competition, and I'm not sure this is worth being here unless you have another go at it with new lighting and presentation.

Sticking with that too dark theme that's all anyone can really say about Destiny. Even on my specifically over-bright testing screen at work I can't make out much of anything. And since one wall is a huge light, this doesn't make any sense, this room would be WAY brighter.

Various assets are OK, but just screen grabs completely out of context. No flats, wires, tricounts, etc leaves a lot to be desired.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Site is alright, but banner is too large as it's creating a full (lower rez) screen of blank space. I'd remove it.

Japanese garden is probably the best environment piece, but it's a let-down that there is ony one image of then, then a few oddly cropped assets. It's a running theme that none of your work is presented with any information, just random jpgs.

Side scroller scene is too dark, tough to tell what's actually going on there. Presentation is bad too since the camera is so far away from all these tiling details. I remember you having this problem during the competition, and I'm not sure this is worth being here unless you have another go at it with new lighting and presentation.

Sticking with that too dark theme that's all anyone can really say about Destiny. Even on my specifically over-bright testing screen at work I can't make out much of anything. And since one wall is a huge light, this doesn't make any sense, this room would be WAY brighter.

Various assets are OK, but just screen grabs completely out of context. No flats, wires, tricounts, etc leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys,

Stradigos
    Thanks for taking the time to look at my portfolio in depth :thumbup:

-Website should load fine :S Ill go test it on other computers.
    -Yeah Wip is blank because Ive only just finished that garden scene, I should remove the section or put something else your right. No matter what Im doing its the impression it gives.

Resume

-I understand that saying Im passionate doesn't really mean much but I kind of have to put it in there even though its self evident if Im applying for a game job.
    -Im fairly certain "Consolidate" can also mean to strengthen, Ill check up on that though.
    -Well compositing, was a part of it but we did everything from "hiring" the actors to the 3D etc.

Work

Yeah it would be nice to see other rooms in the Destiny but Ive only modeled the corridor at this point, maybe Ill get round to making a nexus or Stargate room. Ive gone back and played with the lighting and post hope its better now :)

Thanks again ^^

PolyTech

Hi there, yeah Ive gone back and played with the lighting and post to try and boost the visability a bit, god knows why I though it was light enough.

cholden

Hey,
    Thanks for taking time out to crit this for me.
    Ok Ill go back and change the way Im presenting the assets for the garden scene,Ill add some information, wires and textures too.

Ive gone in and played with the lights and post, its a bit better, might tinker a bit more though.

As for the sidescroller, I went back and found that UDK and upk files are corrupted for that scene. I still have all the textures and mesh so Im thinking of taking the scene out of the context of the challenge and build on it, so the camera can be closer. Maybe a Diablo like view.

As for the assets Ive added the tri counts and breakdowns. Ill add textures soon.

www.Kharnivor.com