Home General Discussion

importance of a degree?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
wrote up a bunch of crap but decided to shorten it a bit...

How important is a 3 year bachelor's degree?

And is it worth throwing away a years worth of actual studies (anatomy sculpts, likeness sculpts, cloth studies, etc) so you can go at a snails pace and write papers on completley irrelevant topics and do side projects that really won't do much for you in the long run?

Is me having a slightly easier time getting into certain countries worth not having the skills or portfolio to do the work the companies would actually need out of me? (kinda exagerating here but yeh :P)

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Degrees help with visas. Degrees show you can finish a project.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Jesus would people use the search bar? Its there on the top left. Theres like five threads on this exact topic.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Degrees are important, not as important as a very good portfolio. But you'll probably need a degree somewhere down the line. Best to get it early and get it out the way.
  • glenatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glenatron polycounter lvl 11
    Degrees help teach you transferable (soft) skills, like problem solving and managing projects and crud like that, but to 90% of employers in the game industry, it's just a mark on a piece of paper, and doesn't matter. A badass portfolio is key to success, and any work experience. It doesn't even have to be paid, mod experience is still highly regarded.
    If you're eager to move for your first job, a degree will help you get a visa, but after you have industry experience, companies will likely pull their thumbs out to help you get across borders etc.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the replies... and yeh i know theres a bazillion other threads about degrees and junk but i guess i should elaborate a bit...

I've got about a year of study left, just got back from new zealand after a company hired me due to me skipping uni classes the first time around to stay home and work on my skills/portfolio (so i've got a year-ish studio experience already, and a bit more if you count freelance and i guess mod work).

Right now it feels like i can't really get any work done around my classes, and i feel i'm at a point where improving my skills for a better portfolio is vastly out-weighing wasting a year of my life (thats the perspective i've got right now at least).

Still seems like i can apply for some sort of visa's or working holidays in most places except the US which my 3 year degree isn't going to help with much anyways.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah man, totes...

guess i'm just freaking out a little, like i've only got 2 (exactly 2) options right now... not true in reality but yeh, i think i know how i'mma play this.
    plus it seems like both options have worked out for different peeps so i guess i'll be alright either way :poly136: (fuggin hope so O_O)

If some friendly neighbourhood mods wanna delete this thread that'd be totes approtes ^^ (sorry for the gd spam, imma stick to making the pictures instead of words)

*runs back to pnp*
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    lol Dreamer, you took time out to find the threads? Wouldn't it have been just as easy to answer his question? :P

I can't say for sure what the dealio is with the US but I know it does help you get visa approvals.
    However I'm pretty sure if you've got the skills a company would look at sponsoring you to get you past that anyway.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Make sure you find a university that is actually up to scratch and has a high success rate. Heck, at the interview ask them if they hook you up with a studio once you graduate.

If you have the money and need the time to practice then go for it. I enjoyed my time at university and it gave me "time" to practice, practice, praaaaactice. Oh and I got to work with others on a game and you don't really get that at home doing mods.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Malus wrote: »
    lol Dreamer, you took time out to find the threads? Wouldn't it have been just as easy to answer his question? :P

Not with the same amount of depth the 5 links provide.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Degrees are nice for when your tour of duty is over, you're 25-30 and where just shat out by the industry for the 3rd time and you're thinking... "fuck this I'm going to be an accountant". Good thing you have this fine arts degree or worse this "game artz deadgree"!

If you have the coin and the time, it won't hurt. Putting off getting a job for a few years isn't all that bad in the grand scheme of things especially if it gives you skills and the time you need to put together a rocking portfolio. Which is what you should always be keeping in mind, the portfolio is king... it is your meal ticket, feed it well, grow it, protect it from stupid projects you might be tempted to stuff in there, spend lots of time with it and it MIGHT just pay off, but without it you have next to ZERO chances of landing a artist position...

Considering you'll be working a job until you grab your chest, fall on the floor and twitch wildly as your heart tries desperately to pass another cheato through an ever narrowing tube... it might be a good idea to not enter the rat race for 2-4 years after high school...
  • MortalJohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in my first year of a 4 year game design course, its a new type of course, and I end up with a Degree in Game Design verfied by the Univeristy of Lancashire, Uk.

I might not be the most reliable source as I'm just a starter in 3D compared to a lot of artists out there, but if your dont feel like your evolving in your course, you might be taking the wrong subjects or gone to the wrong schools. I'm not saying this is the case with you but it can be with a lot of people.

I'm ending my first year in May and I already feel like my first year teacher has taught me all he knows in terms of the basics, so rather than complain I'm forcing myself to learn either outside of lessons or force extra rules on top of the subjects he gives me to force me evovle at my own rate, no one elses. Case and point, I have to do some character research, I base it around the brief of the Polycount Brawl Contest and I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds.

Overall if you feel like its impossible to evolve, try and see if you can move to different major or a completely different university to take your studies in the direction YOU WANT!

I hope all goes well with your decision, and try and not worry about the degree vs no degree. Overall yes it does help, but if a company see that you put the effort in, they'll want you more than anyone else who doesn't and has that piece of paper.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    "Importance of a piece of paper"

Fix'd it for you :)
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're a non-american and want to work there you need one for the visa, doesnt have to be related, they just want to know you have a qualification. (unless you're some superstar modeler, read the Kevin Johnstone interview)

Having said that, a degree won't get you the job, your portfolio will. Now, what you learn on the degree is a matter of opinion...
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Just want to throw this out there:

You get out of college, what you put into college.

You've got a lot of talent, Nizza. A year of college isn't going to stunt that; on the contrary, you may find it helps you grow. But it's not going to be a rewarding experience if you go in with a crap attitude.

Best of luck, broseph.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    Disclamer: my comment will only be related to game art or CG university programs;)

As to me a degree for CG is not that important but it is always a balnce of factors tho.
    I have learned everything myself, that is to say for free, faster and could already start working versus being still in university by that time. I'd rather prefer to go take some fun program later on when it'll be more of a choice of a pleasure of discovering/learning new stuff rather than necessity.

Of course there r different universities and different quality of programs.

Maybe US or some other have good ones, but from what I saw/heard for example what we have in Montreal or Quebec kinda sucks.
    Their programs dont follow the industry nor its demands. It is basically old university staff professors who just take books on 3ds max or maya or whatever and read them before teaching:P Or it may be a freshly graduated student with A marks who get offerred to take over teaching some CG class...
    Industry moves faster than our university game-art programs.
    My girlfirend finished one here and well, while it was definitely a fun time while being a student she has her job now due to intence learning efforts done by herself after graduation :P

But, as I said, there definitely should be good univs out there, but choose carefuly. Don't get fooled by "success" demos or post-graduation hiring statistics ;)

As far as I experienced ppl look on portfolio and experience when hiring.
    Well, definitely if u have a degree in fine arts (academical though, not contemporary;)or architecture it is a good plus. After all if u r a concept artist u might wanna take a good academical drawing class anyways.

Edit: but some private schools may be of use cauz usually it takes less time and in a good one (again, sucky ones exsit) u'll be taught by an industry pro.
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dropped out of an Art Institute with a year left. I've learned more in the year I've been away from that place than the three years I was there.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Degrees are important, not as important as a very good portfolio. But you'll probably need a degree somewhere down the line. Best to get it early and get it out the way.

Depends entirely where you are from. If you are from the US and have no intention of ever moving, yeah, a degree might not mean a lot to you. For me, I'm the exact opposite of what you stated there. I like knowing I have the option to work and travel anywhere in the world for months at a time if I choose, and for the last two jobs I've had in this industry, I didn't even interview or show a portfolio! :D Was purely guys who worked at companies already that knew I could do the job putting in a good word for me. So, its all relative right? ;)

"Importance of a piece of paper"

Fix'd it for you :)

90% of people I see posting pretty much this don't have a degree themselves, or are bitter towards their college for 'teaching them nothing'... a piece of paper can be a lot of things; in this case its a ticket if you want to experience this world and see as many countries as you want while earning along the way (and being able to stay for a longish time, cause you can get a visa). Plus, I had A LOT of fun in college ;) People forget about that bit. I have no regrets.
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    Just want to throw this out there:

You get out of college, what you put into college.

You've got a lot of talent, Nizza. A year of college isn't going to stunt that; on the contrary, you may find it helps you grow. But it's not going to be a rewarding experience if you go in with a crap attitude.

Best of luck, broseph.

Very true. You are very talented nizza. And you do get out of it what you put in.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    oh, I didn't even check your portfolio link :P

Well, now I would surely say that I think for a job u do not need any university/college ;)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some good points all around. I'm pretty sure i fall into the jaded uni crowd (also why hearing the counter to that is good for me).
    I had a fairly mediocre time all around first time through. Conversley, my first industry job was awsome. Met some of the coolest people in my life and had some awsome times.

The only thing that's really bugging me, is the travelling might not be as easy, tho it still seems possible. I just hate the fact that i'd have to waste so much time and energy on finishing my degree.
    I might be a bit impatient when it comes to this too. I just wanna get alot better right now.

On the plus side tho canada still seems accessable for at least a year (give or take) without a degree, and i imagine having a company there back me up if my skills were good enough would definitley help.
    That and my dad's polish... so i can apply for a polish passport apparently (means free uk/europe, yeah? ^^).
    The US is kindof off limits i guess, but i'd need to tack on an extra year of uni to get a masters... and i think i'd gladly take 10 years in the industry elsewhere over that :\
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    if user = "american" then degree = meh
    if user = "other" then degree = 95% must have!

Reason for this is simple. American immigration law is made of sadness and whipped kittens in the fires and brimstone by the demons of evilness so getting in without one is hard unless you're a rockstar.

For getting a job a degree means fuck all. Would be worth more as backup toilet paper on your way to the interview. These are my opinions, silly as they may be.
  • Powerbored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Nizza,
    I'm doing the design parallel of your degree.
    The RMIT games course is supposed to be rated as one of the best in the southern hemisphere and, if you work hard, you'll come out with a a great folio anyway (looks like yours is pretty well developed as is).
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kind of not enjoying mine at the moment but it did get me back into 3D Max and help me learn the core skills I could not nail down my self before, so that helps with my level design stuff I spend a lot of my own time on.

I am just going to try and make the most out of my time and work on as many of my own projects as possible. I do find that the game "design" courses" should really be called game art though.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe, the rmit course is currently alot better than what it was last time around and don't get me wrong it is really good for what it is (especially compared to what's out there)... but it's more like doing a bunch of side projects and trying new things.
    Thing is i do this already (learning rigging/animation, basic coding junk, pixel art, etc). Right now i gotta improve my basic skills tho, and push that other stuff to the side (only way my folio and job prospects are gonna improve right now)

Plus it's going at a pretty slow pace compared to what i'd be comfortable with, but that happens i guess.

And dunno why but it's proving rly hard to do both at the same time >_<
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My degree didn't get me my job, Polycount did.

ergo:
    Polycount should give degree's :)

a few other forums helped but this thread isn't at those forums ;)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    So if you want to get a visa (say in the usa) You will need a degree, or at least 4 years of accredited schooling OR that equivalent in work experience; with 1 school year = to 3 years of work exp.
    So if you have one year of schooling you will need 9 years of work exp to get say the E-3 in the usa. (this info may be old now)

If your goal is to get out of the country and work overseas, you should think about that now and make prep for it. School is a means to this end faster than working would be. And its not like you will be sacrificing portfolio time away from it because you can do that on your off days/weekends and copious holidays.

If I had known this information sooner I probably would have stayed an extra year or two and finished my degree at qantm.
  • Powerbored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta say, as much as I enjoy the course, since the start of this year I've really wanted to just get out in the industry and get some actual experience.
    It's a good course and there's no doubt that I'm going to stick it out, but I can't wait to work towards some real world results.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    So, no matter who the company is - if you dont have the minimum requirements for a visa - your skill level is all of a sudden irelevant. All visa's have a minimum entry requirement, most of the renewable visas will require a degree or relevant years worth of working experience or a combination of degree + work experience. Either way if all your documents and years of exp dont add up - your options instantly become alarmingly reduced.

I went through all of this back at the end of 2009 being one of those artists who never got a degree and relocating to the US.

A degree will honestly make your life much easier in the short term until youve got about 9 - 12 years of documented experience under your belt, by documented that basically means letters of employment, endorsement letters from freelance clients that can be tallied to make up minimum entry requirements.

You can surely opt to not get a degree, but be prepared to be planted solid where you are - again no matter who the company is, they cant bend immigration.

I mentioned this once before, but you know marko djurdjevic right ? he doesnt have a degree, and he told us about when he didnt have the credentials to get into the US... he was already doing marvel covers etc!! That pretty much sums it up I think.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah 2 things have happened since last night (I was adamant about dropping it)... I got an email from one of our lecturers saying most of the assignments and other stuff isn't due till near the end of the semester (rather than piece by piece throughout)... and I looked at some Australia/US immigration sites.

looking at it now I would really be locking myself in, and 9+ years might be a bit longer than I first thought (actually seems like a while, dunno what I was thinking then :P).
    And there really are a lot more studios in America, so at least having the option (as well as Canada and the UK/Europe) would be nice to have.

Still gotta talk to the course coordinator and work some stuff out. I'm still not 100% but I guess plowing through this work right now, uploading it to the network and never going in till next semester could work out for me (with at least a passing grade in these subjects). I'll see how it goes ^^ (and there really aren't that many classes I have left to do after work experience credits)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Finish the degree, Chris. I regret not finishing mine despite it being completely worthless, learning-wise. You need to be able to get out of this doomed country if you want to continue to work in the games industry and you're not far from getting the paper to that'll allow it.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I guess i was lucky and got a job in aus despite getting my degree :/. I Guess if i want to work on anything that isnt cartoony or lacking in substance ill need to head overseas though. But i dont think im realdy to do that mentally or financially yet.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Hmmm, this thread has helped me a bit.

Currently I'm doing a diploma for multimedia/digital media and I'm going to finish around June. Now I'm deciding between doing an advanced diploma in digital media or get a game art degree over at RMIT during mid-year.

The problem was the length of the courses, adv. dip. goes for 1 year where as the degree goes for 3. I didn't really want to spend so much time studying stuff that I possibly already know.

So if I want to expand my work possibilities, I should do the degree?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    nightflarer: Take the course outlines for the degree and the advanced diploma to an immigration lawyer and ask if either of them are recognised.

Also find out if having a diploma and an advanced diploma will be of any additional benefit.

You need to be super careful here as MANY foreign diplomas are not even recognized in the US, and will NOT be counted toward your total years of schooling / experience, however a far greater number of degrees are.

Its worth checking out, especially if your serious about heading overseas.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    And dunno why but it's proving rly hard to do both at the same time >_<

Hehe, damn right Nizza. I remember before I just started my Comm Design degree this year I thought, "Yeah since I'm not working and I'm going to uni being all creative and shit I'll have tonnes of time to work on my 3d and games design!"

Seriously I haven't had time to play a game, talk to friends, cook food or clean anything in like 4 weeks., not to mention improve gamedev skills. Just friggin study.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Haz, I'll check it out. I think it'll be pretty safe if I'll do a degree though.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    To reiterate Hazardous, make sure your university/degree is internationally recognized, i was surprised at how few Australian university's/degrees were not. I would be pretty fucking cut to find out after 4 years of study, that the degree isn't even recognized elsewhere.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I thought alot about getting in to the animation degree program before continuing my software engineering career studies.

Many people who actually have done the animation degree programs will tell you that its balls, and that it is a waste of time, and I know it is. But, if you think about it, when you are starting up your personal studies, the online tutorials, anatomy books, and reference books will help you enough to get things started.

I still think that after doing the degree program I should go and atleast take 1-2 year worth of diploma for 3d animation and life drawing courses. That should help me alot in terms of refining my personal studies and get an in depth idea of how to make reference images for my 3d model, how to create concept arts, scene story boards, and few other things that you do not get to learn when you are doing your personal studies.

The rest alone depends on you on how you are going to take it further.

Though, degree programs do have end year projects, and co-op / job placement programs which will definitely help you in terms of creating your own network to get a job.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Education is what you make of it, and what you take from it.

If you expect it to land you a job and teach you the things you need to know to become a competent artist you will fail.

If you attend with motivation knowing you need to push yourself and realize that your education is a tool and stepping stone to your career, then you will succeed.

My path so far has been nothing but hard work. When I graduated high school, I was terrible at everything and couldn't get into any college. So I went off to the Marines for a term, got some money, and then allowed time to realize what I wanted to do in life.

When I went to AI, I went in with absolutely no art skills and no idea wtf to do.

I only found Polycount because I saw another student at AI lurking the forums.

So in essence, if it wasn't for AI I wouldn't even have known Polycount have existed.Strange how things work out.

Always push yourself.
  • cox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cox polycounter lvl 10
    Nizza,

Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time on graphic design college classes, while I could be studying more relevant game art subjects. Due to college + fulltime work at a studio, the time for personal study goes critically low.

In other hand I believe that is important to have good foundations. But most important is to have that diploma and wear of that weight on the back..

I have something like two friends from my studio who lost oportunities in canada due to lack of college diploma!

Sometimes is good to go easy with anxiety and plan medium term goals.

my 1 cent