Home Technical Talk

Hmm... whats best? Texturing question.

I am trying to understand the different methods of texturing modular pieces. I have come up with two different ways and I would like to know what is the best way to go about it. The model pictured is of a sewer piece, it currently just blocked out. This piece will be going into udk.

1. I create a high poly model of the bricks and then a second layer for the mortar(example in first pic) This route would give me a seperate space on the uv for the mortar and another for the brick and would be done with one uv texture for the entire asset.

2. The second one would be using just the tillable textures and giving the model a multi sub object materials. (example in second image) That way I would just create my maps from the image directly.

I am thinking the second option sounds goofy. But would like to know if any of these methods are right? And if not what am I getting wrong?

k1oyfm.jpg
312bcec.jpg

Replies

• polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just noticed that almost 100 people have viewed this post, but with no response. I am starting to feel like a moron with my questions, in elementary school I was told there was no such thing as a stupid question, but life taught me that wasn't true, is this one of those times?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    imo there's no "right"answer, it depends of the degree of modularity you want, and how it will tile/blend with other elements, how large is the environnement...

I'd go with 2 materials though, which is more flexible.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors - I think I just need to do it... and stop relying on other people deciding my actions. After reading Kevin's post about Too much help can be bad, I think my best bet is to do finish something then post it and get crits.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It seems like your asking for advice on two separate things.

If you are asking if you should lay out your high poly bricks & mortar into the shape of the sewer arch, I'd say no. Make your high poly bricks and mortar and bake that out to a tiling texture.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    using multi-sub object materials is usually the same performance as just using more than one object.

It's bad practice to be using multi-sub materials in some engines. What engine are you making this for?

Another method you could use is having two different tiling textures masked by a larger texture. Or you could use vertex colour to mask the textures.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This model is going into udk... I have read the articles on optimization for udk, but its very technical and I get lost. I started another scene but coming up to the question of what to do. I am currently working on a model that is 90% tillable texture and the other part is unwraped all while having multi subobject mat... but on the other hand its as if I should just break the model up in to separate pieces. Once I am finished I will post the model fully textured.