Homeā€ŗ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space gun thing - wip

--edit-- I placed the high poly shot in the first post so new comers wouldn't have to dig for it..

gun_final.jpg

Hey guys,

It's not too often I get the chance to kick back and do some good old hard surface modeling. For that matter, it's not too often I get to kick back and make art outside of work, so this venture has been fun :P

Wow... a gun... this is the base mesh, all ready to send to ZBrush for details: seams, grip, screws, wear, etc...

I'll post the ZBrush shots after I get through it... should look neat with all the details introduced. :poly142:

Original concept by a friend of mine.

Just some screengrabs:

Gun_base01.jpg

Replies

• Exist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like something from Deadspace.

Mind if we get some wires?
  • Jax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jax
    I think the style of the gun is very cool. I would bust out certain elements of the silhouette a little more like the butt of the gun looks like it needs a little more thought into how it ends in a stylish and functional way. The area where you cock the gun could be raised up by about 50% to develop the silhouette more. The trigger area is too small and should be bumped up/scaled by 200% to give it a beefy look that would imply that a heavy dude was wielding it.. The swoop shape from the muzzle over the top front section is a great shape, push it out more and make it a feature. Get some dynamic shapes in there and it's a winner.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this...is so sleek...so retro futuristic...I absolutely love this
    actually wait, whooooa you know what this reminds me of?
    sm-blaster2.jpeg
    I love Tribes <3 (go hi-rez studios!)

lol sorry, anyway this is looking really good man. Your sub-d looks solid, I wish I could wrap my head around sub-d, I'm just not there yet
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    are you gonna share the concept? or be a nancy. :)

Looks like a really nice base to sculpt on.. looking forward to seeing where you take it.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most excellent so far :)
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys - I'll get the next round of shots up as soon as I detail 'er up. Just need to figure out one part of it that's throwing me for a loop... then it's all downhill.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Keeping it in that Mega Man style?
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol - that Megaman is years old. Not even thinking about that :P

This concept was done by a friend of mine. As you can see, lots of fun stuff to add in ZBrush:

gunconc.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Looks spot on with that concept.

With something like this, is it jus the engravings on the gold parts that you'd use Zbrush for?
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    very cool style, I really like the concept and model! There is one thing about the concept I like better though, The circular shape above the trigger. On yours it is just rounded off on the concept it has a more interesting bottle cap kind of shape.

Look forward to seeing more of this!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    this is looking great so far. at first glance of the concept i thought it looked pretty plain, but after really just taking some time and observing all the shapes it looks like it would be a really great piece to do, and your 3d rendition of it its matching spot on. cant wait to see more.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys - thanks for the comments.

My buddy made a great concept - has been fun to create.

For ZBrush, I'm going to be using hand-made alphas for some of the details, carving in all of the additional seams shown in the concept, but not currently on my model, the engravings on the top cover things, radial symmetry for the insets on the round thing (bottlecap looking things on side and on the handle top), grip on the handle, inner business, and general surface tactility.

Haha, maybe I posted a bit early! Seems I still have a lot to do :P
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Cool stuff.

You could always just float the additional details above top of the model, works well for a bake.
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    looking good so far jon! I'm curious what's throwing you for a loop?

love that deadspace color scheme on the gun.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacque - I certainly could, but that's too easy. This is for something specific that I have in mind, so I'm going to represent 100% on the mesh.

Goat - The top pieces with the sculpty design stuff. Easy enough to remesh, reproject, and sculpt that stuff in.. going to attempt a solution with MatchMaker first.

Quick update - just a few minutes to spare tonight. Details added on the handle (grips, panel, screw things. More to come:

yayer.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Sick concept :) This is looking sweet. Can't wait to see the engravings on it.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Nice, looks like Strontium Dogs shotgun.
  • Akula
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look really great!
    One thing only - perhaps a bit more "shape" on the handle? To me, it look a tad under-dimensioned to the (assumed) weight of the gun. Try bending it a bit on the back side, just to make it look a wee more grip-friendly.

//Akula - who is a newbie and therefore probably wrong. About everyting. :-D
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my buddy did a terrific job on that concept!
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I got side tracked for a while - more focused on in-office work.

Anyhow, I finished off the high poly... going to get cracking on the low poly next.

gun_final.jpg
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    how do you get such smooth and sharp sculpting on zbrush? any tips?

how do you make it so geometrically perfect? You work on small pieces at a time? what's your workflow?
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    the lining around the outer section of the front of the gun actually looks more like padding then metal with how you've done those scratches and it doesn't look like that in the ref (from what i can see). Everything else is nice :D
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks really nice! Keep in mind though where the damage should be; only on very accessible and often touched places.
    I also think the end of the barrel should have harder edges, but it might be too late to go over. I mean, if you really cared that much. :\
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    superb! only crit is that the front section is looking a bit soft.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes yes yes yessss!

That is all. Get on with it :)

Cheers
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! This was fun to make - I usually don't make guns. I think I'll go in and take out some of the smaller chinks on the front, and harden a couple of loops up there as well.

Going to bang out the low poly first, and then jump back to that.

Dogzer - this isn't 100% ZBrush. It's a 50/50 split between Max and Z. But yeah, lots and lots of pieces :)
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the low poly 'done.' Ended up at 6,000 tris. Moving on to UV's next - should bake out well...

Going to harden crease on the front as well, and tone down the nicks that make it look soft...

gun_lowpoly.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin good n clean. :D
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm going to simplify that top guard thing. I don't like having the front guard low poly more simple than the back, now that I look at it again. I think I'll take out the raised border of the one in the back - doesn't seem to hold up as well as I thought it might. I think that extra shit will just fight with the normals map in the end bakes...

Oniram - awesome seeing your SWTOR inspired work on your page. Very cool :) Have you been following the development of SWTOR much?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    looks awesome man. whens your next workshop?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Rush wrote: Ā»
    Oniram - awesome seeing your SWTOR inspired work on your page. Very cool :) Have you been following the development of SWTOR much?

very much. :D since it was announced in 2008 lol. kotor 1 is my top 2 of alltime favs (just underneath ocarina of time), so i was super excited to hear about the MMO. one of my teachers at school had to tell me to stop making SWTOR stuff (i also made 3 or 4 of the lightsabers from the concepts on the website).
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy - Thanks! I'm actually running my a character workshop right now. We're entering week 5... this course material has been used quite a bit though, so I'm in the process of making some new courses, one of which is a 100% new full game character/creature course.

Oniram - Awesome - KOTOR was definitely a cool game. We're all having a blast on SWTOR... seeing how it's evolved since inception is very exciting. Can't wait to get it out there. Mind if I pass some of your work on to our concept guys? I'm sure they'd love to see it...

--edit-- Do you have the lightsabers up anywhere?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feel free. as to not take away from your thread ill PM you shots of the lightsabers. :D
  • minimari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love the decor you got on the gun reminds me of art neavou <3 I love it! I would buy that gun it if was real
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks minimari - I wish I could take credit for the design! Designed by a friend :P

I simplified that top guard thing (the rear most piece with the decor). I think this should work better. Too much geo in the first post.

Took the count down to 5800 as well. Definitely wasn't worth the polys...

gun_lowpoly02.jpg
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UV's are done... you could play a mean game of checkers on that shit.

A couple high poly fixes, and then on to bakes...

gun_uvs.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice. maybe i shouldve mentioned this before, but why not do something like this with the topology to clean up some of the flat surfaces.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Oniram,

Those are great suggestions! On the cylindrical piece, I have the middle vert pressed in a little ways to fake dimensionality. If I didn't need that middle vert, I could clean it up as you've shown. It only ends up being a difference of 2 tris (4, counting both sides).

For the handle, I'm a little leery of how looong triangles shade. I'm going to give it a try though, and make two bakes. If it works, it's a better solution- significant savings.

Thanks!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Looking sweet!
    Would you mind posting your UV layout? would be nice to see how you packed this one.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    This LP looks so neat and clean :) Lets see them bakes now :)
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have to pack it - I'll get on that tonight, and get started on ze bakes!

Thanks guys!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some notes, mostly you can improve your detail density in some areas, and really try to think a bit more about how a gun would be viewed in a game, in first person. Right now you've got areas on the front of the gun, which are unlikely to ever be seen let alone up close, that have more detail than areas right in your face in FPV. Its very important to watch out for areas where you have a very blocky curve next to a very smooth curve, this just screams "lowpoly model", when you want the end result to look like the high.

spacegun.jpg

Some notes on optimization as well, adding some detail back in for consistent geometry usage is the most important thing here, the optimizing less so, but you can probably afford to add geo in all the right places if you optimize some of the other places where it is less important, and end up around the same tricount.

Oh its a bit hard to tell, you may have an excessive amount of mesh chunks here, too many intersecting mesh chunks = poor uv usage, as you'll end up with large sections of your uv layout that are occluded. In addition to that, every separate mesh chunk is one more nasty aliased seam your model has, the more you can merge bits together, the less seams you will have and the more aliased and "highpoly" the mesh will look.

Generally, if its going to animate, or if its going to cause major intersection problems when baking it should be a separate mesh, otherwise merge that stuff!

Oh one last note, before you do your packing you should do some quick test bakes! Doing test bakes is always essential to see if you need extra geometry somewhere or if you got some messy stuff that isn't going to bake well etc. Test bake, test bake, test bake!
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Quake - Thanks for the great crit! I agree on the test bakes! I ended up putting most of that into the low poly. I didn't want to optimize the handle though, as there's a lot of line work on it (the grip). I want the UV's to be as relaxed as possible to avoid any heavy distortion in the pattern... so near square quads, evenly spaced.

I'm also not really thinking of this strictly as a FPS weapon, but your FPS points are certainly valid. My thoughts on the part in the upper back is that it's mostly covered by the metal cover/overhang, so not that noticeable. I think if it stood out more I would go in and match up the geo to the rear-most piece as you suggested.

I made some bakes. Here are a couple shots with just the normals applied over a flat gray diffuse, and general specular. The normals map still needs a bit of cleaning up, but other than that I think it turned out ok.

gun_norm_test.jpg

--edit--

And I need to add some backfaces...
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its actually looking way softer than it was in the sculpt. the bottom grip and top deco piece, as well as the barrel still, look like they are covered in plastic or vinyl.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Oni - I hear ya. I'm sure that will change when it has a diffuse and spec map. I'm only displaying normals in this shot (with a general spec setting in Marmoset).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah thats looking better, no more noticeable lowpoly areas here, this really helps sell it as a *highpoly* looking model, instead of a lowpoly model with a normal map.

A trick you may want to experiment with, if your mesh density is high enough on your sculpt(a near 1:1 pixel to poly ratio) try hardening all of the normals(making the mesh faceted) on your sculpt and baking again, I've found this can help for sharpening up sculpted detail. It may look terrible though too, but maybe worth a try.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    holy shiet, excuse my language..its looking so cool, your lowpoly topology is really nice - did you do it in a topology program? looking ace! keep going
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I'll give that a whirl, EarthQuake :)

Some quickie bakes - AO, DISP, and a couple different CAV maps. Haven't really adjusted anything yet - just throwing them in real quick.

--edit--

Ugh - normals error on the butt of the gun, near the bottom round thingee. Will fix...

bakes.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    better. :D what sort of materials are you going for on this? is it mostly going to be just metal?
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks - getting there...

For materials, probably just going off of the original concept. Some bronze metal up on the decorated guards. A rougher metal for most of the other gun... perhaps try and get a couple different tones of this... more of a polished metal for the some of the little details, and perhaps some sort of rubber for that knob thing on the top of the handle?

Just going off the concept:

gunconc.jpg