Home General Discussion

DAO II Reflections so Far

Barbarian
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
I've been playing DAO II (PC) when I have free time. I'm still running around the city gathering funds necessary to continue the plot. So far I would have to argue that DAO I had the better initial story line and better immersion. However, I continue to play to see how the story grows.

There are a few quirks in the "evolved" engine. A battle developed in (night time) Low Town after leaving the elven area. My character was fighting with a greatsword. An animated denizen of the city (robotically walking around) walked right up and stopped between my character and the enemy and turned her head and looked at me and then walked off--obviously with no damage. The engine needs a "neutral citizen should not walk into the middle of a fight check."

In another battle in Low Town, there were two enemy archers on stairs. I targeted one while my character was on the ground. He ran over, and instead of climbing the stairs, began swinging from the ground. He was scoring damage even though his sword had to carve through the stone steps with just enough reach to hit their toes. A greatsword carving through a few feet of stone is one hell of a sword.

Ohgren (DAO I) had more "character" than Varric, but maybe as the story continues it will improve.

Anyone else playing DAO II?

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Yeah, I'm playing it. I think there's been a major improvement in pacing and the characters are pretty well fleshed out. Varric is probably the best of the bunch (he gets better with time) and putting various groups together just to watch them flirt, annoy or joke with each other has been an endless source of amusement. Putting Varric and Isobella in a group with Aveline for a while is the best combo so far.
  • Matabus
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus:

Per your link: ". . .About 4 hours!"

LOL

Isabella has the best lines so far. I laughed out loud when she said "handcuffs, whipping cream, and stay on top."

Now back to more side quests to earn more gold so that I can enter the Dark Roads.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Haha thanks for the link matabus, pretty good vid.
  • Zakk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zakk polycounter lvl 9
    So, i just finished my first playthrough, and shit, i need to stop being so damn impatient.

Just as with Origins, it started out with me losing interest in the story and when i finally got around to finish it, i almost kicked myself for waiting.

Awesome game, amazing story. Definitely one of my favorite games.
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm about halfway through the final act (III). I'm enjoying the game and the story has developed more. It does get boring at times because of the reuse of sub-level layouts. I guess Bioware saved development time by reusing level geometry, but returning to the "same location" two to four times per act is getting a bit boring. Game is quite stable (PC). Only had one crash (exiting an area). It does "grow on you."