Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Battle Arena Toshinden, FO FAI, Japhir

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
So I've decided to join in after all!
I used to play Battle Arena Toshinden with my neighbours when I was little, and my favourite character of that game was Fo Fai. So i'm gonna do something with him. Not sure on the redesign yet, but after painting for a while a really norse theme might fit him, in stead of his original clean Chinese outfit. I'm also considering making him even older.
Here's the original character:
858293-fo_fai.jpg
and here is a video of both my favourite characters of this game in action: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Or1hawe0rg&feature=related[/ame]
Here's my concept art so far:
brawlz.jpg

Crits and comments are most appreciated, since I normally sort of skip the concepting phase.

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    It doesn't really look like a redesign of the character to me, just a clothing swap. How about a younger version of him...when he was young and reckless...could only make a small blue ball to roll on...was a looker for the ladies, maybe a bit of a bad boy. Or the silent brooding type. Maybe only used 1 claw instead of 2. Carried a big ass gauntlet in the other hand. Or used two big ass single claws, but age has made him weak and he had to go for the lighter, faster blades. Eh, my 2cents.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you're right. I first wanted to get a feel for him (and for drawing in general, haven't drawn anything in ages) and then try to re-imagine him.

I'm not really sure, but here's a quick experiment. What if after all those years he had enough of his healthy lifestyle and became really FAT:
    brawlfat.jpg

I also thought about making him look very evil. Because normally he is evil, but looks rather good imo. But i still need to try this out.

Any ideas?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some more sketches to get ideas, this isn't particularly original but i'm trying to feel the character first. Maybe I'll turn him into a gardener :P.

brawlold.jpg

PS: i like working in low rez, it makes me feel like i'm working on a 128 texture which i can control :).

EDIT:
    Damn i liked the idea of a gardener Fo, so here is the same sketch but gardenerified.
    brawlgardener.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo, any feedback before I start modeling? I don't feel like painting out a more elaborate concept. I'm going for the gardener Fo.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Give him a sunhat and dirty knees (or knee pads). I like the idea of a gardener Fo, but it just feels really simple right now-- do you plan on accessorizing him much?