Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Double trigger Shotty

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
hey guys, been a while since i posted something on here. well im on my 4th quarter in game art at my college, this was a long quarter, took my first character modeling class and first texturing class... i made a old harley quinn for my final and well its not so great lol but i did give her some cool guns i modeled (i think they came out better then the actual character but oh well) would really like some feed back, im still learning how to render, and cameras and lights and so on, so dont be harsh on that, hope topology is ok, this is the high poly, there is no low poly since it wasnt required for the class.

SSGuns1.jpg

SSGuns2.jpg

SSGuns.jpg

Replies

• Razgriz
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Your technical modeling ability is coming along ok, but where this model really suffers is in it's design. Great modeling on a terrible idea will never result in good work. I'm going to take a stab and guess that you either modeled this out of your head without a concept, or didn't use sufficient references and concept art. As someone still learning and figuring out how to model, thats a big no-no.

Think about what the parts on your gun are actually doing, and imagine how it would be held by an actual person. Could a palm actually fit around the handle, and is it a comfortable design? From where you want it to be held, can the finger reach the trigger? I'm also a bit thrown by what looks like a red dot scope mixed with four barrels that have no apparent way to load with ammo. There are also so many random boxes and doodads tacked on that serve no function at all. If your making this for a game, or even for animation, you would find that this would be completely unusable for anything other than a prop that you don't want to be seen a great deal.

So, well done on having a pretty clean mesh and decent understanding of the software, but you really need to take a step back, find some solid concept art, really think about design, and make something that is functional. Heck, given that you havent ruined your model with crazy booleans and cuts, you could make some of those quick changes right here and improve a lot.

Good Luck!
  • DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx or the feedback, I didn't do it from my head, it was a sketch a did a while back, I do see why u are saying about it being functional and all that. With a better design I'm sure I can do a better job. Just not so good at drawing this stuff. About the red dot sight, I went online and did see some shotguns with this sight on it, even tho it doesn't make since. The random screws were a last minute thing to add some detail, on the original drawing (I'll look for it) I did have some tubes and a gas cylinder on the bottom that powered the gun, but die to time and it being just a quick prop for the main character I was doing, I didn't have time to put it on. Overall Ty for the good comment an I'll improve on the things mentioned.
  • RexM
    Like what was said, thinking about function when designing anything is very important.

Also think how you would hold this type of weapon, how much recoil it would have, and how comfortable it would be to hold.

Right now, it looks impossible to hold and shoot.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    "I didn't do it from my head, it was a sketch a did a while back"...

???

Razgriz means you should use more reference when designing your stuff...

doesn't make sense for a weapon to have two triggers... usually a weapon could have a trigger, and a pump action something er other...

when would you ever be able to switch hand positions in a gun fight to the second trigger...

if you drew the same idea on paper before you modeled it, it doesn't improve the concept... the concept could very well be "in your head"... if it's a good concept, it doesn't matter.

technically the individual elements of the weapon are ok... but when you put them all together they don't make much sense. looks like a sword, a cannon, and a space ship all got with eachother at the same party - the spaceship had a baby, now the cannon and the sword have to figure out who the father is...

study shotguns, and then study the concepts of weapons you like... play around with the shapes, but keep the core functionality of the weapon similar or the same...

design is always the hardest part of making anything (imo)...
    so good luck duder.
  • GoodDreams
    doesn't make sense for a weapon to have two triggers... usually a weapon could have a trigger, and a pump action something er other...

when would you ever be able to switch hand positions in a gun fight to the second trigger...

Sorry, what? Have you never seen a double-barrel shotgun?
    His trigger placement dosen't make sense but a shotgun with dual triggers is fairly common.

http://esrigs.home.comcast.net/~esrigs/guns/SXS2.JPG
  • sketch81
    Nice modelling, but I'd have to agree with all the comments listed bellow. I also have trouble drawing and would recommend searching online for some cool concept art. Model your ideas when you improve your drawing skills and understand how everything functions.
  • DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like a sword, a cannon, and a space ship all got with eachother at the same party - the spaceship had a baby, now the cannon and the sword have to figure out who the father is....

i got all the comments ty. will do better but what are u smoking on that part of ur comment? u lost me. anyways. i did see 2 trigger shotguns. the positioning of the triggers is not at all imo. ur index finger holds the furthest trigger and middle finger is for the other trigger, u hold the handle pretty much with ur other 2 fingers and ur thumb around it. i really dont see that being impossible. (apart from functionality of course)