Home Unreal Engine

Sub-Surface Scattering

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 16
hey all. i was just running some tests with the new dx11 features and man are they awesome! here's my results from subsurface scattering. just thought id share this with you. :D the only actual textures in here are the AO and Normal (and heightmap but i ended up not using it as a heightmap). all color is derived from vector parameters in udk.

SSS-ex1.jpg

SSS-ex2.jpg

Replies

• AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    WOW this was Exactly what I wanted to figure out thank you!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no problem. just something to take note of though, the SSSRadius values im using are a bit too high i think. they cause a bit of graininess (that actually looks like film grain) in the material. either use less values or clamp it.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Aweeeesooooommmmme
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Check the scale of your model, we have been using a SSSRadius of like 1-2
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea that's it. Kinda realized that issue when I went to scale the model and it nearly ripped in half due to the tessellation. It also blew up on itself when I tried scaling it down. I'll rescale and reimport tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks. :D
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so now my radius is going about .05 - .5 the scale definitely was a factor. and now no more splitting down the UV seams either. :D gone for a bit of a more realistic approach

188204_10150109796226090_512141089_7035622_1863069_n.jpg

(note.. i know the ears are all messed up on that guy. just didnt want to bother fixing it. :P )
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Oniram wrote: »
    so now my radius is going about .05 - .5 the scale definitely was a factor. and now no more splitting down the UV seams either. :D gone for a bit of a more realistic approach

(note.. i know the ears are all messed up on that guy. just didnt want to bother fixing it. :P )

Looks great man, but yeah, how come the ears are like that? Something due to the tessellation?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no. when i retopped him for sculpting, the geometry was all sorts of bad. i figured i would sculpt it to how i wanted and retop the ears later (as well as some other areas that didnt keep with the geometry). that was about 6 or more months ago for this guy. so i just wanted to test out what could be done with SSS and tessellation, and this is pretty much the only character ive got. when i projected the normals, the ears are all red.. full of errors. didnt want to fix it.

ive attached the normal so u can take a look. well not actually the normal but just the blue channel from the normal, since that is what drives the tessellation. and also ive attached a shot of the geometry for the ear.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    looks cool! I want to see some vegetation with this..
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so I have direct X 11 turned on in my vieport. It's found in the viewport/ preferences.
    I followed what you have. I'm just wondering because I can click the button. Do I need to download the driver for it? because as of this moment it's not working. I thought because I can hit the button and UDK doesn't crash that I must have the driver for it.
    JML.jpg
    but I dunno
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just tried this:

From Wallomedia10 on UDK forums

Quote:
    You dont need to use the november version to use dx11 features you just have to edit Material.uc in "Development\Src\Engine\Classes". Open it search for D3D11 and delete every phrase that says :"<bShowOnlyWhenTrue=bShowD3D11Properties>" then save, compile and your done. When you a open a material in the material editor you will see that there is a Directx 11 Section where you can enable tesselation subsurface scatering etc.. Its a bug, because it looks like that udk doesnt check if your hardware is capable of dx11 and hides the settings. Have fun playing with dx11 features X

still at square one...
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Or just download the updated beta (there is a version 2 or the march beta which fix this problem). :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    Or just download the updated beta (there is a version 2 or the march beta who fix this problem. :)

yeah, i had the same issue and downloading the new beta fixed it.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH snap! I love how has this fishnit is getting fixed. fishnit is a technical term btw.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool stuff Oniram, thanks for sharing your process. Test looks pretty good, I know a lot of people are keen on taking advantage of all the great stuff in the March build :)
  • Legend286
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legend286 polycounter lvl 9
    so I have direct X 11 turned on in my vieport. It's found in the viewport/ preferences.
    I followed what you have. I'm just wondering because I can click the button. Do I need to download the driver for it? because as of this moment it's not working. I thought because I can hit the button and UDK doesn't crash that I must have the driver for it.
    JML.jpg
    but I dunno

What's the point of using lerp if you're using numbers?
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Legend286 wrote: »
    What's the point of using lerp if you're using numbers?

Constant numbers. But yea, I thought about the same thing :D
    Since he's driving a constant 1 into alpha, the LERP node will always send B (or A, can't remember which one goes forward with alpha of 1) to the scattering radius.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah. thats why i just decided to use my AO for the alpha instead of just a regular radius, that way it would only take effect on the dark areas of the mesh
  • doomstagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JML.jpg
    but I dunno
    Yeah. What's happening with that LERP? Placeholder?
  • punchface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    punchface polycounter lvl 6
    What do we have to do to mess with the INI files to enable SSS?

pf
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    punchface wrote: »
    What do we have to do to mess with the INI files to enable SSS?

pf

Can you not just enable it in the Material Editor? I'm pretty sure that's the standard way now that UDK fully supports DX11.