Home General Discussion

Face Off - SyFy Show

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
Did any of you guys catch Face Off the last several weeks? The season just ended and I was pretty impressed with the show overall. I'm not a special effects artist for movies or anything, but I found that their process is very simliar to the process we use to develop 3D art. It was a really interesting show and I found myself learning some things about design along the way I wasn't expecting to. I highly recommend you guys tune into it next season.

I don't want to spoil the winner in case anyone needs to watch it yet, but I thought the individual did the best job and displayed the most technical knowledge. He was a bit weak on his concepts (like the judges said), but his execution was beautify each time.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just happened to catch the final show and it was pretty good, made me wish I had been watching it all long. I liked how they didn't really focus on the jaded cynical side of a reality TV contest but more on the art and the struggles with their creations. I hope they don't start to pander to the catty crowd to pull in viewers.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree. I was just thinking yesterday how much I appreciate the insight and frankness of the judges, and how there wasn't a Simon or Paula among them. They are all serious, very talented industry vets who know their shit and aren't afraid to praise where praise is due or call someone out on the carpet.

You should go back and watch the other episodes, especially the zombie one. That one was pretty cool!
  • Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
    There were a few times when it felt like a typical reality show, with people bitching about the other contestants not working as hard, etc. I think it was most obvious with the whole thing with Connor and Megan.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, but in all honestly, they could have played that way more up than they did, so I actually felt like there was some restraint exercised there. The whole megan/jo thing was annoying, but that's kind of how it is in a high octane environment. Someone doesn't pull their weight and shit get's real.

I don't know how Megan stayed on for so long. Even the judges at the end were like, "Yeah, you know what, we don't even need time to discuss who's going home this week. It's pretty clear." Lol.

The only drama I couldn't absolutely stand on the show was Frank. Fuck that prick. He disrespected his model, his mates and himself. He obviously has some issues in his life he needs to work out.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I liked the whole season. There were a couple people got on my nerves, but they did a good job with focusing on everyone instead one or two annoying people.

From VERY early on I knew Gage would go far. His designs, and sculpting were top notch for that kinda show. Makes me wonder what he could do with more time. At the end I was certain they were gonna call his name...

The judge that talked the most, on the left of the screen, with the tattoo's kinda annoyed me. Not real bad, but god that hair... I kept wanting to grab some scissors and cut those two little strands he always had in his face.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My girlfriend was pretty certain about Gage winning. When he did that flower make up on the first foundation challenge I knew he had some flare to him, but he really surprised me with a few of this creations. The last one in particular was awesome!

LOL, I noticed his hair too, haha. :D His critique was good though.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Watched the whole series from the beginning. Overall the series was pretty good with only minor reality TV nonsense. Several strong contenders and a couple how-did-they-get-on-the-show people.

The challenges looked fun and having never any kind of work like that, made me want to try some.

Now I'm just waiting for the "SyFy Original Movie featuring makeup fx from the winner of Face Off" ads to start... :poly121:
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, finally a reality show with something interesting. At first I thought it was gonna be about CG but this seems interesting as well. Thanks for the tip!
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, the minor reality tv annoyances. Like fake, forced as hell "tension" they try to build by giving part of an answer and then............................................................................................................................................................................a huge nonsensical pause. God that's retarded. It's so forced, stupid and insulting it drives me nuts.

Frank was awful too. I think it was just too much for him to take, too much pressure, and he folded. The "afraid of success" kinda guy.

The movie makeup industry isn't too different from the games industry in the sense that a LOT of people know a LOT of people. It makes me wonder if Frank, and Jo (what immature little shit she was), don't realize that a bunch of people in their industry are watching that show, and will never want to work them.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I really liked it. I think I forced my wife to watch it, but she was hooked after the first show. I thought Connor was the best choice, but thought he may have screwed up on the last project, even though it was still very cool.
    Hopefully it returns with more production to it. Even though it was good, it still felt low dollar, which is to be expected for a trial series on SyFy.
    I didn't care for the one judge (I forget their names), who is always trying to appear as a badass (with the strand of hair hanging in his face).
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The final challenge for the show sounded like a great idea for a 3D art challenge. For those of you who didn't watch the show the final challenge was reimagining a childrens tale with a certain theme. The contestants got to pick 1 tale and 1 theme in order with no overlapping. Obviously for a 3d challenge overlapping would occur but the stories, and themes were;

Stories Themes
    Little Mermaid Haunted
    Hansel and Gretel Psychedelic
    Frog Prince Post-Apocalyptic
    Little Red Riding Hood Industrial(SteamPunk imo)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Loved this show. Really great stuff. Part of me wants to get back into FX makeup just so I can apply to be on the show. I did prosthetics, life-casting, face-painting, etc back in Jr. High & High School so I've got some experience as well.