Home Technical Talk

next gen gun polycount??

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys I'm making a 'next gen' gun for my demo reel, and I'm wondering what I should keep my poly budget to. I know it depends on the game, etc. so for the sake of arguing lets say something like black ops or crysis 2.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How much do you think it should have? If you were to guess.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My guess is somewhere between 8-10k triangles
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure if its a complex model and it really requires all that detail (super scifi 2 handed weapon for example). I just wanted to see what you had in mind instead of pointing you to a limit. It all really comes down to the model geometry =/

If I was doing one like for example “mass effect riffles” I would try to aim from 1500 to 3000 but I think you could go as high as 5k if needed.

Just my 2 cents. But I would not really worry about the total amount just worry about having it as low as possible.

Any one analyzing your work/reel would most likely be looking for miss use of geometry and if poly count was justifiable.

Don’t worry to much about it just make a kick ass Gun :thumbup:
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    just make sure its one material/drawcall and than use as many polygons as you can fit into your target hardwares vertex buffers (probably a bit more than 64k split verts ) or better yet as many as you need to make it look the way you want !

i doubt you will need more than 10k to make it look awesome !
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5-15k fpr a FPV weapon, depending on:
    Engine/Type of game, system spec required to play game
    Complexity of design and type of weapon
    How much screenspace it will take up

For example, in a modern game, a basic pistol or small SMG may have a budget of about 5000 tris, and a heavy machinegun with a drum magazine, and a scope attachment could easily jump into the 12000-15000 range.

1500-3000 may be ok for a third person person game like Mass Effect, but is much too low for a first person model.

Jordan's 8-10K number is going to be good for your standard assault rifle or whatever, most typical moderately complex weapons would fall in this range. A revolver with some sort of optics(scope/reddot sight) and 6 round(ie 12 sides, not shity 6 sided cylinders)bullets could easily get you up to the 8000 range.
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point guys i forgot to talk about FPS weapons.
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    i remember a talk with someone at guerilla games. he said for killzone 1 they used up to 15000 polys for a weapon don't know if he meant tris or quads.
    i'd go for 5k to 15k tris, depending on complexity and size. the next LOD stage would be then VERY reduced. depending on gametype and amount of weapons to be seen on screen.
    an assault rifle could be 1k in a next lod stage.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LODs are commonly about 1/4th
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    perna wrote: »
    When will the community stop referring to six year old tech as "next gen" ?

:poly142:

That happens if consoles get to the level where the computer is now:poly142:
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    perna, don't know why one wants to rant about this.
    the specs are mostly the same today, like specter said. quality increased though.
    perhaps when tessellation arrived at new consoles we can speak of a new next gen.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Call of duty (mw2) weapons are all 5-8k first person(except small arms ofc), black ops a little higher.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks for all the responses guys! Guess I should've said what kind of gun I'm making, I'm doing an m1 garand with a scope and laser sight. Definitely got a good feeling for where I should aim for, but of course I'll try and keep it as low as possible. Thanks again and I'll be posting in pimping and previews soon enough :)