Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

chinese street environment

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
hi guys , i start working on a environment from that concept :

The_Secret_World_Concept_Art_03a.jpg

i make my blockout and start working on building : this is wath get so far still wip

buildingtexturingwip2.jpg
buildingtexturingwip3.jpg

crits welcome :D

Replies

• Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    i love urban environments !
    i hope to see more soon !
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Top of small window should be aligned with top of large window. You're missing the window under the red roof. Windows have about 1 window space in between. Your windows are too wide/low.

Bottom of the sign should be more or less aligned with the lower windows'tops. It should hang (horizontally) centered between 2 windows. Sign is circular on one end, not chamfered rectangle.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Building looks a little large right now. It might look that way because of other factors, but just try and keep a good sense of scale as you move forward.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mistry10 : thanks you hiten :D , update time ^^

@Snader : you right , i really want to fix it , but scaling or moving any vertex will brock my texture .. i think i'm going to make new one when i get foward , thanks you dud :)

@jet_pilot : thanks man ^^

UPDATE TIME //

so , i think i'm done whith buiding texture for now , adding a roof .. and i export my blocking into udk and a little fog around :D next : making that sign and more building work

upd.jpg

hope you like it , Crits welcome
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update :
    • a sing
    • i reset the lighting
    • and start making new building
    i'm so slow :p

wip000.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

:poly124:
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know how it works in max, but in maya you can turn on the possibility to "keep UVs" while you move verts around. Very handy for something like this.

Your material definition looks cool and you'r of to a good start. The crit i got for you is that broken piece on the side of the building. Is WAAAAAY to big. Looks very strange.

Keep it up!
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think when it comes to pieces like this, it might be more efficient to block in whole environment using rough geometry first. Then identify modular pieces/most important chunks and focus on these first filling in details and tiny nuts and bolts as you go.

Btw, are lights in windows placeholders? Color seems way off if following concept more or less closely is your intention.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sltrOlsson : thanks you , i'm going to fix that broken area , thanks again : )

@sandro : your right , yeah my scene need more blocking work ... :D thanks . more update soon
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like an interesting set man! Hower I agree with sandro, think about making this building using modular pieces that way you will save on texture space instead of using one giant texture for the entire building. You could have for instance two seperate pieces for the 2 variations of window/wall. and a piece for the door. In your case maybe the individual window/wall for the lower window since you have that grime on on the bottom, and then another variation for the top.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't have any modular design Experience .. but i'm going to give it a try :D thanks you
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys

i try to use modular but i fail :( , but that ok .. so i back to use just giant texture .. in next scene i'm gonna do modular environment :) to get it

here with another building , no much to show ^^" .. and i need some crits about lighting :D
    and his resolution look suck , i think that from the fog .

building02.jpg

wip_chinese.jpg
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dude, your improving on your textures and the scene is coming together.
    What problems did you encounter when trying to make the building from modular pieces ? It would be a good idea to post your questions and then receive help on this thread. Unless you have a deadline, I wouldn't worry about being slow and just think about improving as an artist. It's good to work fast, but inorder to improve and move forward you need the necessary knowledge and skills. Keep at it :thumbup:
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    hi ayoub44, you don't always need to use modularity for buildings, inparticular the last one you posted. It depends on the building. As your building has just the one basic texture on it, you could just use a couple tilable textures and mask between them, or even vertex paint those white grunge marks.

keep up the good work!
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks you guys , i think in this project .. i'm not going to use modularity .. next project i will :D
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    back with a update :

here is wath i get so far .. i make some background house and a crate , fix some lighting .
    so my scene is all yellow :D but i'm going to go with some blue light from shop ( two shop )
    i don't khnow wath i'm going to do in ground , some reference will get ideas :)
    in crate i add that foot , like that is a shop so pepole get around there and someone put his foor on there ^^"

wip_envr01.jpg

crate_envr.jpg

crits welcome , and thanks you guys for all feedback that really help :)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    back w/ update , here is some building ( two building ) and a props for the house .. crits welcome :)

last building , i'm goig to make for it a low poly one and bake a normal .... to get those windows

finished_air.jpg

building03.jpg

building04.jpg
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE :

but i have some problem with lighting . when i turn it out to " lighting only " there is some shadow on my buidling but when i turn it to normal mode i think is called " unlit " i don't have those shadow , my building have 2 channel .. i change some parameteres on building i found it .. i active light map res and change it from 64 to 256 . i don't really know wath is for but same problem

cs_wip01.jpg

here is a shot from the problem :

lighting_CS.jpg
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Are the signs temporary? Because your thread is called "chinese street environment" and the text you have is in Japanese. Might not seem like a huge deal, but it's something that is guaranteed to vex some people. I suppose that's just your name/handle or something, but I thought I'd point it out. :)

It's looking decent so far although I get the feeling that the scale/proportion of things is still off compared to the concept. The spacing of buildings/elements and the size/placement of windows, doors, etc. I think things like that have a way of affecting how the scene feels and right now it's lacking the imposing quality of the original image.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    haikai just took my words... first thing i noticed was the katakana in a chinese scene, which looks way off. keep it as a placeholder, but for your final shot do change it :)

as regards your shadows problem, the lighting only shows your shadows, and the unlit doesnt show. thats how it works. for you to have your scene textured AND shadowed, you have to pick the LIT button, this will render both the mats and lights of your work.

hope it helps :)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @haiki : thanks you man , i don't have any chinese or japanese skills :D , so i just google those words and put them on the scene ... yes you right the scale is a big problem here , and thanks you :)

@yodude87 : about my shadows problem , my scene is on lit mod but i say it's on unlit mode ^^" ... and still the same problem , thanks you :)
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    oh okay. i think i got what you mean.

well, UDK does have a few problems with lights/shadows when rendering real time previews before building your lights.

so, my advices would be:

1) you can either turn on lit mode, and move your light source a bit up on the z axis or

2) build your lights, preferrably leaving lightmass on (try lightmass on, medium settings).

about the chinese/japanese problem, in short, japanese use three different "alphabets": hiragana, katakana and kanji.

hiragana is the national alphabet. katakana (the one you used in the sign) is used for foreign words. and kanji represent generally full words or concepts.

chinese language uses only kanji. so, if youre going for a chinese sign, avoid hiragana and katakana :)

edit: what kind of light are you using on your scene? if its a point light, make sure you have cast shadow turned on (select light, press f4 and look for it).
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you veeeeery much , the lighting is fixed that cool .. and i changed the light direction and pick up new color :) and thanks for alphabet information .. you are the BEST

here is a shot :

cs_lighting02.jpg

still need more work .. but thanks you :)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE :

very close to finish this :) and i'm happy wath i get .. so hope you like it guys and crits very welcome . thanks to Element_vinci he show me how to make the bloom effect so cool

cs_wip24.jpg
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    Nothing too extreme.. but just wanted to point out a few things.. like muting some of the colours you have going on at the minute! .. making sure the focul point is down the centre (those lanterns are quite distracting) SIMPLIFY the floor :P dont use that default unreal texture... but ya not bad you are getting better each time you post.

dasdasdasd.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    wow Razorb, very nice.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks aaron for the paintover :)

01.jpg

02.jpg

crits and comment welcome :D

thanks
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    it looks like a colourful mess. go back and look at the concept, then look at yours. break down where they differ, break down the elements you need to create form the concept, large forms, then smaller forms, then fine detail.

stop adding lights, you are making it look awful. if you have to add lights now, get a colour picker and see what colours the guy used in the concept, and use them. add in large point lights that encompass a larger area so you can start to see the general lighting composition of the scene instead of adding in too fine a detail early on and getting lost.

make sure you get the scale right before you do anything, your houses feel squat and stubby, the concept presents them as tall and imposing. if something is physically impossible to create accurately due to strange perspectice or artistic license in the concept, then use your imagination to try and capture the essence of what the artist was trying to put across.

make sure you are building things to scale within each asset. if a window could comfortably fit a car through it then you most likely have made something a bit too big.
    incorrect scale and proportions will make anything look bad. nail the scale and half the work is done.

finally: you've got the overall cocnept, the mood of the scene. now get references to help you build the individual objects. gather a shit load of refs to show you exactly how a building looks up close. use that to guide you.

you have picked a great piece of concept, if you can capture the essence of it you will have a great piece for your portfolio. don't give up and call soemthing done before you are 100% positive it's done and you've had some prick like me tell you it looks shit.

good luck.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man , i was thinking that i'm going to finish this piece on monday :D but your crits show me that i'm wrong ... the scene need more work and i will fix the lighting . and the origine concept is all desaturated . so i'm going work on this more :) thanks you for ur hepful post
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message