Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] Xmen vs Streetfighter, Manhatten

uk_resistant
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
Just reserving my spot.
I want to use this competition as an exercise in speeding up my workflow and learning new tricks to get things done quicker at work.

Im planning to do a reimagination of the top half of the stage "manhatten" from Xmen vs streetfighter, but with a 1950s "world of tomorrow" vibe.

Expect a retro futuristic take on the scene and some more reference images once I am at home and not at work.

MarvelSuperHeroesVsStreetFighter-Manhattan.png

Replies

• CHON
    Damn I will have to choose something else ! hope you will rock that one dude !
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man this could be really really amazing. You have some awesome opportunity for so many things in this stage. With things like post processing to get those subtle purple shadows I love it and can't wait to see your progress.
  • uk_resistant
    Offline / Send Message
    reference_1.jpg

Here is a quick reference board, just highlighting some elements.

A little more on the scene.

The setting is a 1940's/50s world of tomorrow world, which will be something of a little alternative history.
    In design, it will be quite similar to the style of the Batman and Superman animated series - a classic feel for modern things and being a homage to an era rather then a direct recreation.
    This will mean there will be police blimps and more general airbourne activity; the city in the background will be retro futuristic; The cars will be somewhere between the above classic designs and something more flash gordon rocket like (fins and points).
    The cars will likely get a reference board to themselves.
    At this point I will want to just get a police car and a police van to instance but Id also like to get a unique car in there - something more like the bottom right image (probably for a private eye or something to that extent).

As mentioned before, this is mostly a exercise in speeding up work flow and learning new tips, tricks and tools to get the job done quicker without compromising quality.
    As a result I might talk about how I did certain things and id encourage anyone to share any ways they tackle certain things as I'm all ears about new work flow methods.

*edit*
    This will also the first time I will be using UDK, which I have been planning to pick up for sometime. I'v had experience with other engines and I'm told UDK is easy to pick so this should be too much of a problem.

The texture style will be a hand painted realism. I don't want to rely too much on gritty overlays, so whilst it will have a look of realism, it will have a hint of stylisation too or at least not too noisy.

Next step:
    Block out and getting view points sorted.

Cheers
  • boon
    Offline / Send Message
    boon polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, that is an awesome stage! I am really exciting to see the progress on this one.
  • uk_resistant
    Offline / Send Message
    So I got the initial block out done, along with a fixed viewpoint.
    I also added some search lights and did a quick post in photo-shop just to convey some atmosphere. Im not sure if this is the vibe im going to go for just yet, I plan to do some thumbnail paint overs to try some colour themes.

1.jpg
    1_alternative.jpg

Next step (as above) : Try some colour paint overs, and try to nail a day/colour theme.
  • Nebz
    I'm loving this so hard right now.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    The only thing i would say so far is that the scale is way off. Compared to the character you placed in the scene i'd say that the foreground buildings seem about 15-20 feet tall and the cars seem about 3 feet tall. Although the perspective in the actual in game background is way off as well, it'd make such a strong piece if you corrected it.

This piece could be absolutely insanely awesome. I'm looking forward to the progress.
  • uk_resistant
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent a couple of hours tonight modelling a search light. Still needs a base but it has a little of the world of tomorrow vibe im after. Will probably optimise it some more too.
    I have tried to go for a cross between a normal search light and a ray gun, hence the wings and the rings.

2.jpg

@ Wester.

Yeah the perspective is a hard one to crack. I think the cars will be bigger anyway, but that might make the buildings small. I took some liberties with how far the character is from the cars so that might be part of it.
    Maybe I will pull the camera out a little too. I wanted to get more skyline in really, so maybe that's the way forward. This way I can make the buildings slightly taller because Im worried they seem too small.
    That said, if you got any ideas let me know. :)

Cheers for the comments folks.
  • Adam Curtis
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Jamie, long time no speak! Nice choice of stage and I love the world of tomorrow theme. Nice Spot light, be great to see touches like that throughout the scene :) Looking forward to progress!

-Adam
  • uk_resistant
    Offline / Send Message
    Word pal! been a while.
    you good? Not entering Brawl? ;)

*edit*

Just saw your post. Awesome!
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    nice concept, I'm really looking forward this being finished.

Keep it up :3
  • uk_resistant
    Offline / Send Message
    So after seeing other entires and watching some backgrounds in Marvel vs capcom 3, I wanted my scene to have more depth so I changed the perspective around to be more of an angle. This allowed me to get a better sky shot too.
    The search lights are going to have stands now or be raised somehow so that's why they are floating.
    I also replaced the basic blockout elements with work Id done more recently.
    3.jpg

Below is a quick model just for form of the car. I wanted to get the shape more finalised before worrying about edge flow etc. Still more details i want to get in, but I will save that for that for the actual final model.

4.jpg

Finally, a little texture work I did one evening, diffuse and Normal.
    5.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    welcome-to-the-world-of-tomorrow.jpg
    It had to be done :D
  • uk_resistant
    Offline / Send Message
    So I spent today modelling the car, still more to be done however.

Needs more world of tomorrow fins!

6.jpg