Home General Discussion

Square Enix opens a studio in Montreal?

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice. Great news.

The industry here seems to be on the up and up as of late; lets hope it stays that way.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    from what I read somewhere, it's in either BC (Vancouver), Ontario (Toronto), or Quebec (Montreal). What they choose ultimately depends on the tax incentives each province offers them.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    ?

I think this is mis-reported.

There was an Eidos Montreal studio that was working on Deus Ex.
    Eidos (the publisher) was bought out by Square-Enix around 2 years ago.

Eidos Montreal is now Eidos-Square Enix Montreal.

I think the new studio will likely be in Toronto where additional Tax Incentives are. Vancouver lost a bulk of their video game tax incentives, but instead went into Film/TV tax incentives (which is why all the closing video game studios in Vancouver are being suplemented by Pixar, Digital Domain, Sony Imageworks, Dreamworks opening up shop.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Yea I highly doubt any studio is gonna open in vancouver anytime soon when in montreal they subsidize 38% of salaries......vancouver is dying it seems.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Thats kinda shitty to hear, as if I were to take a job in Canadaland, I think I'd want to live in Vancouver.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Last time I went to Montreal it was so cold even pub hopping you would sober up the second you stepped outside. And I'm from Boston so I'm already used to the cold. ...THE HELL, CANADA?
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    -crosses fingers-

Toronto... Toronto... Toronto...
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    We need more studios here in Florida, Everything's cheap as hell.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Haha most likely it's going to be Toronto, as people have stated before, Eidos is in Montreal (and seems to be doing very well) and the Vancouver industry is getting hit pretty hard right now... where as Ontario industry is definitely seeing some aggressive growth.

It would be interesting to see if it's going to be more publisher / administrative building, or if it's actually going to be a development house, lets hope :)