Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Death Adder, Golden Axe: The Duel, sp0nge

OHHAIGAIS

I think I'm going to do something with Death Adder from the Golden Axe games, more than likely an undead version but I'll mull it over today during work and update this evening, maybe, JUST MAYBE, with a quick concept... :D

Death-Adder.gif

25%20Majesty%20of%20Death%20Adder%20copia.jpg

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ohhh nice, the character reminds me a lot of deathdealer, from the frazetta painting
  • kouotsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instead of Death Adder you could call him Life Subtracter
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, subtracter :D

After some thinking I'm leaning towards another style choice for this dude, he's already so evil looking that undead isn't much of a stretch... Instead I'm going to go with a 're-imagining' and go for a more highland-barbarian look with fur and some bone armour and runes etc, maybe some body paint...

some more ref to get across my meanin':

Barbarian_1.jpg
    tribal-tattoo-design-picture.jpg
    BpjzQmd0N7QCP9Z.jpg
    Sheep-2.jpg
    Barbarian_King_2.jpg

concept to follow! (honest...)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    While I dig the character, and Golden Axe is the one game that kept me in the arcade longer than any other game as a kid... it is considered a "side-scrolling arcade hack and slash." As such, this character would not follow the requirements of BRAWL.

edit: don't mind me. :x
  • AKAperly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »
    While I dig the character, and Golden Axe is the one game that kept me in the arcade longer than any other game as a kid... it is considered a "side-scrolling arcade hack and slash." As such, this character would not follow the requirements of BRAWL.

Geezus: If you notice in the thread subject, sp0nge references "Golden Axe: The Duel" which is a versus style fighting game in the golden axe universe, so a Death Adder redesign fits well within the rules.

1135889072.jpg
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    AKAperly wrote: »
    Geezus: If you notice in the thread subject, sp0nge references "Golden Axe: The Duel" which is a versus style fighting game in the golden axe universe, so a Death Adder redesign fits well within the rules.

1135889072.jpg

oh shi-! I totally did not see "The Duel" part in the thread title. I had never even heard of this game! MUST FIND!

My apologies. :x
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries! I've had some people pick me up on that in RL, seems not a lot of people knew about The Duel... It's the only one I remember :D Maybe I should go buy the others, ya know, for research?... :P
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    sp0nge wrote: »
    No worries! I've had some people pick me up on that in RL, seems not a lot of people knew about The Duel... It's the only one I remember :D Maybe I should go buy the others, ya know, for research?... :P

Oh you should absolutely pick up Golden Axe! XBLA has the first Golden Axe title up for a couple bucks. Completely worth the coin. After watching a few videos on Death Adder's special moves, I hope you can somehow integrate his shield in an interesting way. Good luck!
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a rough sketch of where I'm heading:

conceptc.jpg

Nothing too involved, just a glorified silhouette drawing but you get the idea, I'll design the intricacies as I go. I've been wondering what to do about the shield, maybe fastening a dragon skull to it with some hides and a few trinkets, or depending on how ornate/scraggy I make the other items, some kind of metal dragon head central buckler bit...
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    sweetness. love the glorified silhouette.
  • sparrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sparrow polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Sp0nge looking bad ass. cant wait to see this guy when he is done.
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after much staring at the concept and angry mutterings to myself I've decided to re-think things... this guy is just lacking something, as he is. SO, I'm going to try think of a new angle along the barbarian line to give him some originality, but failing that, consider a whole new idea... watch this space!

P.S: Maybe more fur, less armour - like the last of the references images I posted?
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    Well I’m intrigued, love me some barbarian/Nordic action :D
    Can't wait to see more!
  • mxdirector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great concept. Although you do know you are making someone who regularly had their arse handed to them by a dwarf who enjoyed running headbutting into death adder's face.
  • sp0nge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick new sketch, not even a glorified silhouette this time lol but I've been tossing ideas around all night and want to post something... this guy is FAR too skinny for death adder but otherwise i'm thinking the dark demonic face (barely visible, maybe just teeth?) behind a long horned helmet, lots more fur/less armour and NO shield, putting the trademark protruding dragon face on his arm straps instead.....

captureaj.jpg

I'm finding the shield is taking up too much focus and I just end up trying to 'dull down' other aspects (like the helmet and axe) to stop it looking confused and over crowded. I don't know, feel a bit like I'm scraping the barrel with ideas for this guy at the moment - any suggestions are very welcome :)
  • d.hynes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm really glad to see your new concept. i liked the first one but the new one feels more like a true redesign.
  • Fallen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fallen polycounter lvl 8
    Hey ya,

Looking good, does look a bit in the thin side but i'm sure you can beef him out a little. Saw this and though of your character and the Nordic fur laiden warrior with the possibilty of tribal tattoos lol enjoy

Fallen

guildwars2-16.jpg