Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Street Fighter, ZANGIEF, Larkbeef

giefSheet_s.jpg

Hello youse!

So I've been thinking about Zangief, and turning him into a more sophisticated piece of muscle. Adding; more drinking, smoking, haunted dreams,
unsolvable cases, opium, gambling debts and unhealthy knowledge of things from beyond the stars. I would like to keep his size and fitting him in much
too small clothes, maybe it will even enhance his size. Besides, he can't afford tailored clothes. Wrestling archaic tentacle moth-bears by night, does
not pay off.

I suppose I'll make him a lot more harrowed than his current incarnation, dark rings under the eyes and a lined face and so forth. Maybe more sinewy.

Setting is turn/early 20th century, Lovecraftian era. Perhaps a hint of Hellboy, if I give him some complicated gear.

That's what I got at the moment, more details to follow.

Happy contesting everyone!

Replies

• Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Glad someone is doing Zangief! Very excited about this!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Very cool idea, man.
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great idea man, looking forward to this one
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A slight update. Been struggling a little with the idea, feels more like an alternate costume than a reinterpretation. Did a few heads and a little suit
    doodling, perhaps it'll be more interesting when I get some modeling done.

Did a few minor changes to the original idea. Scrapped the idea of having a small suit, just too awkward. Might scrap the hat too, I like his
    mohawk...and I'm thinking of finishing it off with a ponytail, a little Chinese touch(Zangief spent a few years under the tutelage of some hoary Chinese master of course). I'll try some ideas out.

And some pictures!

giefheads.jpg

griefbasic.jpg

Now on to some SSFIV play
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello people!

A great many treats in this event, very educational and inspiring.

Here's what I've got so far. Still working on the base mesh, but It's taking shape. I feel that the main problem right now is the silhouette. Zangief's silhouette is pretty telling in itself, I just want it to be a bit more different.

Well, back to work.

Progress:
    giefbasic_2.jpg
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hullo there community.

I have a few questions, maybe someone can shed some light on those. I realize most everyone has their own work flow and preferences, I'm mostly looking for hints.

First, when you sculpt your normal map or block out or whatever, do you sculpt the crap out of each sub div before you move up a level? Or, do you sculpt different things (like folds, buttons, anything) at different levels?

The earlier you draw a line the more voluminous it becomes when dividing, is this something that translates better when baking a normal map, e.g. more curves to catch light which might make for a more interesting model.
    Or is this of no matter, as long as you follow your concept art - or you're trying to do an asset that should look realistic?

Is this even a question?

Second; draw calls, I'm not completely sure about the concept or if it's related. But I've got a question about optimization. Is it preferable to have as few separate parts of a mesh as possible, even though the final triangle count might be a little higher, than separating parts for easier control?

Third. How much do people kit bash? You must spend 5000 metric tonnes of time putting old parts together instead of doing completely new stuff all the
    time. Or is it maybe easier to do a base in Zbrush and then retoplogize it?

Incoherent rambling or not, you decide!

Meanwhile I've been starting on my normal map sculpt. Progress so far.

Cheers

sculpt1.jpg
  • Garmonbozia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there!

I really like your idea for Zangief and I like what I'm seeing so far. Can't wait to see how this will turn out!

Since I'm no good when it comes to character modelling/sculpting, I won't even try to answer your questions. They are good questions though and I would like to know more about how other people work as well.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
    Garmonbozia / Kalle
  • Heavyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man nice Zangief. Alot of what your asking about is all personal work flow so you could get 10 different answers from 10 different people...so I'll start you off then.

1. When I first started using (insert high poly modeling sculpting package here) I was super nervous to subdivide because I had learned from someone who thought everything had to be perfect in order to go to the next level. That can work for some people but for me it was holding me back and making me nervous about every stoke that I made, so now I personally jump around all over my sub-divisions once I have my basic forms in, worrying about the sub-divsions froze me up. I go as far as I can take a sub-divsion and if I need more poly's to get the job done I sub divide again, it's all going to be re-topo'd anyways.

2. Not sure what you mean by draw call's, but as far as having separate pieces, in my case it doesn't matter much because I'm going to combine and re-topo. Alot of people use seperate piece so that Zbrush won't choke their computer when you get into really high sub-divsions.

3. Kit Bashing, I think it's kind of frowned upon for these contests. Now in the real world people do it a lot, especially in production environments...time is money.

Hope I helped a little.
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Heavyj
    That's a pretty nice tip, alternating sub-divisions when you sculpt, I tend to get stuck in routines when doing a model. Especially if I don't know the application that well. As you say, it can feel limiting sometimes.

I think I meant that extra blocks of information had to be sent to the GPU (in the game engine)if you have separate parts; the hands cut off at the wrist, the neck not attached to the torso, but the seams hidden by accessories or something. I guess it's not an issue if you retopologize your model.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!

-Garmonbozia/Kalle
    Thank you, hombre :)
  • mjackson126
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some sculpting right now, I'll put up a progress report when I wake up!
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    Yes! He's on the case!
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where I am at the moment. Got a few parts left to sculpt and then go over them once again, for evaluating and tweaking I guess.

Also spent a day rigging, it'll be fun to see the textures torn apart by lousy weighting.

Thoughts are welcome!
    Cheers

sculpt2_1.jpg

sculpt2_2.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey man , looking good, the first thing that i thought when you mentioned brains in the first post was tolstoy....maybe give him that oh so intelectual wild man beard ?
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a break from Zangief, went back at it today and did some colors. Get that diffuse in order and get started with the specular.

Seth: I believe you're right. I should have gone with something more akin to this:

old_man_18029_lg.gif

Picture tiem
    Cheers!

gief_diffuse.jpg
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    photobucket bad! use imgur!
  • mxdirector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shame, wanted to see your work, but it seems photobucket is down.
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For shame, Photobucket! Shame!
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Charge!

s2e80.jpg

Still fiddling around with textures. I want to wrap this up soon(take a crack at DW5), either I will continue with minor fixes and polish it as best as I can, or start over from scratch. Not really feeling it. We'll see I guess!

Many fantastic entries in this contest. Mucho impressed.
    Cheers!
  • Valcien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valcien polycounter lvl 18
    Did not like the concept, until I saw the last image. Now, I love it. If ever we get an aged Gief I hope he looks like this.