Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] Soul Calibur 2, Pirates Alcove, Mike8917

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys! I'm new to the forums, I registered to take part in this comp. I'm going for the Pirates Alcove stage that appeared in Soul Calibur 2. I'd like to recreate it somehow though, but haven't decided how yet. I''l post again soon though once I've nailed down the foundations.

Good luck to everyone! :D

Pirates%5C%27_Alcove.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Also dig up some ref on the Goonies pirate ship/cave.
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah excellent! Thanks Mark, yeah will do :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

Thought I'd update you as to where I am.

The original Pirates Alcove from SC2 was supposed to be haunted! But there's barely anything that portrays this in the environment. So my aim is to make it really haunted and desolate now, so it lives up to its back story!:poly124:

I compiled a list last week of all the assets that I would need. The estimated tri count comes to around 150,000 so there's plenty of room there if I think some things are a little light.

I've made some of the props and also the tiling concrete texture for the fighting arena. I wanted to upload some pics, but they keep failing for some reason:(

I'll try them again later!
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates!! Apologies but I keep getting upload errors when I try and upload my files. They're jpegs and they're below the size limit so I don't get it :/

Anyway, I've uploaded them to photobucket http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff448/runningman8917/

Again sorry about that.

Rather than simply creating a copy of the cave in the original stage, I've decided to make it smaller, and create an open top version similar to the canotes found in Mexico. I'll be able to create some great lighting opportunities with it too! :D

There's some wip pics of the blockout stages found on the gallery. The next step is to finish unwrapping the pirate ship which should take me another day, hopefully be on to texturing with the next couple of days.

More updates soon!
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, sorry about the lack of attention I've ben giving this thread. I've had a viral infection the past week and I'm feeling horrible. Hardly done anything these past few days.

I managed to get the ship imported into UDK. The total tri count for it is approximately 66,000, but its split up into 13 peices altogether so it's not too bad :)

Still loads more to do yet! Foliage, stalagmites, the docks and other misc objects like barrels, rope coils, cannon etc. I would really like to get this done before the deadline. Hopefully this virus is on the way out!!

UDK_WIP_01.jpg?t=1304004906
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, here's my scene based on the pirate's alcove. I finished it a few weeks ago - just wanted to update my thread :D

You can view it on my website here: http://www.mjcportfolio.com/pirates-haven.html

Lots of stuff got in the way, so I had to skip the deadline unfortunately, but I'm pleased it's finished :)