Home Technical Talk

Radial Symmetry on Mirroed mesh

iniside
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
iniside polycounter lvl 6
Here is an mesh I have:

3dsmax2011031611115168.png

(I already did some quad equalization on it).

When I export this to Zbrush and Try to use Radial Symmetry i just doesn't work. Dots just fly out of mesh somewhere in space, only few of them actually are on it.

Yeah mesh pivot is in center I checked it. Any ideas ? I don't really want to export mesh with symmetry, because, With what I have now I can get much higher poly count to work with.

Replies

• scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you exporting the mesh as it is in the screen shot i.e half the model? To be sure you get full radial symmetry i'd mirror/weld the half you have and centre the pivot, export it into zbrush, sculpt radially then import it back into max and then just delete the half you don't want.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But as he says, he can get a much higher poly count by only doing one half at a time. I'm not sure the solution, maybe it's an axis thing or some other setting. Maybe reset the xform before export? Dunno. Not into zBrush.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Just tried with half a cylinder. I seemed to get a better result from radial symm by turning off Local Symmetry, clicking the vert that is in the center of the mesh and then clicking 'Set Pivot Point'.
    pivot.jpg

Alternatively, perhaps you could mirror/merge the mesh, offset the UVs for the second half, and import that into zbrush. Subdivide it, create polygroups from UVs, and then hide the second half. This still seems to respect what should be the center of the shape you want, and may help the performance as only half the points will be active (I think?).