Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Marvel vs Capcom 2, MARROW, Onuris

Well... I hate to do it since some of you were looking forward to a new Earthworm Jim, but I'm changing my idea entirely. I realized that I'm not familiar enough with the character to continue with him. I lost the motivation to continue on him midway through my second block-out.

Brainstormed for a while and came up with a few ideas. The best out of the bunch was a Voodoo Queen Marrow (Marvel vs Capcom 2). So here's a ref sheet:
refs-1.jpg

And here's some 2D work that I don't totally hate, but it's still not very good. Didn't bother to go any further than flats; hopefully you can see where I'm going with it.
concept-shittyflatscopy.png

Update 3/23:
First pass at a semblance of a model sheet(Stuff doesn't all line up yet, I'm aware; time for sleep though). Played around with the colors a bit. Think I'll start making a base mesh tomorrow (well, later today really, but whatever). Not included is any make-up. Not sure if I want to go the dark tattoo route like Naomie Harris had in Pirates or go with a white skull face paint thing or what. I'll do some mock-ups for that after I get the model started... Here's the model sheet so far:
firstPassModelSheet.png

Replies

• Daven
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I can't wait to see what you do with it. Interesting dynamic to choose given the array this contest has to offer.
  • Onuris
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    hahaha, that's awesome. Good luck!
  • Onuris
  • pricej14
    Loved this show as a kid, cant wait to see what comes out of it. Best of luck to you
  • MasteroftheFork
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I think you need bulkier arms to sell him as earth worm jim better. Coiuld use more little knich-knacks as well, but this is just a block out.
  • Onuris
    Yup, next block-out/concept is going to have bulkier chest and arms, and probably more exaggerated legs. Small details will get worked out once I get a block-out I'm happy with. Thanks for the input.

edit: irrelevant!
  • devilshands
    Love Earthworm jim!

There have been some great redesigns recently - Good luck - I'll be following ya :)
    http://www.forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=41674&page=9&pp=15
    628_large.jpg
    http://cghub.com/images/view/116819/
  • Maph
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Clayfighter!!!!!!! Looking awesome already.
  • Onuris
    Yup, saw that one redesign here. Suburbbum told me about it after I had the idea. I'm probably going to keep him more cartoony than that, but we'll see how it all works out.

I hope not to disappoint you all.

edit: Realized I probably would disappoint, so scrapping the idea.
  • TheWizard
    Edit: New concept looks solid, can't wait to see how it goes.
  • Onuris
    Update: Changed character. I apologize to those of you looking forward to seeing a new EWJ.
  • Onuris
    First pass at a model sheet, more info in first post.

firstPassModelSheet.png
  • Onuris
    So, since I suck at 2D and since Suburbbum needs help with his scripting final... He helped me translate the idea in my head into a drawing that is a million times better than mine, took a quarter of the time, and looks awesome. So, here it is for now. Any and all feedback welcome. Tell me how good Max is at drawing.

MarrowRedesign1.jpg
  • Daven
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    bumpity bumpity bump bump!
  • Onuris
    I feel so slow compared to most of you all. Anyway, I started working on the head. Right now I'm jumping back and forth between Zbrush and Max getting things right. Here's where it's at right now:
    HeadMesh.png

Right now, I'm relatively happy with the nose and eye areas. The lips still need work, and the overall head shape isn't quite right; although I think my choice of angle makes it look even worse. That and the lack of ears/hair. Not going to bother actually modeling ears though since her dreads will cover them up entirely.

I bumped up the subdivs in zbrush and played around a little with what I'm thinking for her face make-up. I'm heavily leaning towards something like the one on the right, but figured I'd get some other ideas out there and see if anyone has anything to say about 'em. So here's that:
    MakeUpIdeas.png

Hoping to spend a lot of time this week working on her. Hoping to get her low-poly done before school starts back up. Whole lot of hoping going on...
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Nice concept! I like the one on the right more, but I also like that there's more space around the eyes that's not painted in the concept. Makes it feel more skull-ish. Also, more blue around the eyes. :)
  • Onuris
    Heh, yeah, I wasn't looking at the concept when I was doing the make-up. I'll go more skull-like with the eyes. I think I might do some blue shadow above the eyes and the dots below. Still quite a way off from finalizing that yet though. Thanks for that paintover too, I think I might do something like that for the mouth too.

I wish I could spend more time on this >.<
  • Onuris
    Well, I didn't spend as much time this week as I wanted to on her. I did some toying around with hair, seeing how it'll work:
    UgHair.png
    So that's placeholder for now, but it gave me an idea of how to go about the final product.

And I got a base-mesh almost done for her. Just ignore the hands and feet for now. Been working on her all day and still need to do laundry tonight, so y'all have to deal with the start of hands and feet instead of decent ones. Here's that:
    UgHandsU.png

And here's a screengrab for wires, some places are too dense right now, and some places not dense enough, but I've stared at her long enough for one day:
    UgWires.png

Retrospectively, I probably should have just chopped those hands and feet off since they look absolutely horrible right now and they'll probably distract anyone who happens to venture in here...

Anyway, aside from the hands and feet (and lower legs too actually; and I haven't set up an elbow for her yet), anyone see anything else horribly wrong?
  • Daven
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    A few things I've noticed:
    -The shoulders are too wide and her arms are too short.
    -Ribcage also seems to small
    -Seems like she's sucking in her gut a little bit. Needs moar relaxation and currrrrvvvvvvvess.
    -Her upper arms are wacky. I don't even know haha. Make them more slender. Right now they seem fatty and muscly.
    -The hips and upper legs are actually working really well here. Keep those.

I did a quick paintover of the face just to tell you what I think you could improve. The left is a quick paintover and the right is your screen. Right now her brow looks a little heavy, so lessen that up a bit. Looking forward to this man, do it up.

onuris_marrowpaintover1.jpg
  • Onuris
    -The shoulders are too wide and her arms are too short.

Agreed on the shoulders. Will bring them in a bit. I'll play around with the arm length. I think they might just look short because of the terrible hands that were on her there. Was messing around with her this afternoon but not really ready to show yet so I'm gonna take a nap and come back later.

-Ribcage also seems to small

Already adjusted that a bit when I was working on her. Still not quite right, but getting there.

-Seems like she's sucking in her gut a little bit. Needs moar relaxation and currrrrvvvvvvvess.

Already adjusted this too. I agree, she looked like she was trying to be anorexic, but not...

-Her upper arms are wacky. I don't even know haha. Make them more slender. Right now they seem fatty and muscly.

Fixed the upper arms a bit too, I don't want to go too slender though, you'll have to tell me what you think when I post it later.

-The hips and upper legs are actually working really well here. Keep those.

Good. I used a lot of reference. Was kinda funny. My is-probably-deaf roommate came into my room while I was working on her ass/hips and just stared at my other screen for a good 30 seconds before he said anything. I had a bunch of "reference" pictures open on it.

The face issues, already adjusted her lips in the direction you have in that paintover. I'll work on incorporating the rest when I get back to her later. I'm probably going to keep tweaking the face until the very end. I'm never happy with faces. Well, I'm never 100% happy with anything and would keep tweaking everything forever if I had my way; but eventually things need to be called done and I need to move on to other projects...

Thanks for your input, Max.
  • Daven
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
  • Onuris
    Updates:
    Changes451.png
    Changes452.png
    Changes453.png
    Mostly what was mentioned. I started making her real hands and feet, but they still look like shit at this point. They'll get better.

I think I need to make her boobs bigger or something to start drawing more comments...
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    If you are going to put her under the knife dont make them too big :D (yeah I said that )

I think that her hair will need a fair bit of roughing up too but you are off to a good start man, I think that the sturnum might be a little flat, or just above the collar bone protrudes a lillte too far in the side view....it could just be that the collar is throwing me off though....nail the concept and you will have a great piece.