Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Dead or Alive, Hitomi, nightFlarer

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Poribo polycounter lvl 13
I'll be making Hitomi from the Dead or Alive series, one of my faves. She is probably one of the most generic characters in the game, so I'll be redesigning her to be more fantasy-like.

I hope I get some replies and critiques, it was pretty sad during comic-con challenge...so lonely. lol
Hitomi_DOA4_01.jpg

Replies

• JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Oh... boobs...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You could redesign her so she looks less like a 4 year old's head grafted onto an adult body.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    LOL, yeah jack has a point, or you could go reverse, a head of a 20 year old on a 4 year olds body.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I've just been doing some concepts.

A new hair design:
    hitomihairconcept.png

Some thumbs:
    hitomithumbs.png

I'm heading towards 6, 4, 1 respectively. What does everyone else think, so I know I'm not crazy.

Weapon Concept:
    umbrellagunconcept.png

Not sure if anyone else has thought of this, I myself think it's pretty clever haha. I'm gonna keep the 'lace' design, with bullet holes etc.

Comments and crits plz :)

@jramauri: you say it like it's a bad thing lol
    @jackablade: haha true man, I had to look at it again. Now I can't unsee.
    @arshlevon: that would be very weird haha
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more refined concepts. I when back to play some Dead or Alive awhile ago, and I saw that she had a similar costume as number 2, so maybe go for number 1. Or should I try another concept?

mainconcepts.png
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like nr 2 better. But would like to see her more crazy, as you said nr 2 feels alot like the original. And i dig the umbrella id
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stretman: Thanks for the comment man, I think I won't be doing number 2 sadly. Here's the costume that looks kinda similar:
    Hitomi_Costume_7.jpg

Just a real small tiny update, I think I've got the concept where I want it. I'll start on making the base mesh tonight.
    mainconcept1.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really a big update, more of an excuse to bump :p
    Just finished the base mesh, so I'm gonna start sculpting and add all the other stuff along the way.

bases.png

I should fix the foot before I'll export haha.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started sculpting. I think the face needs to be a bit longer, but besides that the rest should be fine...unless someone finds something wrong.
    sculpt1.png
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    the shotgun thing is cool I like the umbrella gun. but this seems, well every 15 year olds wet dream. I just feel like the character should be leaning more towards a theme. This kind of feels like fetish theme. :/ I hope I'm nt being to harsh but I feel you should really push this a different direction. like when I first saw the shotgun umbrella thing I thought sweet steam punk.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    the shotgun thing is cool I like the umbrella gun. but this seems, well every 15 year olds wet dream. I just feel like the character should be leaning more towards a theme. This kind of feels like fetish theme. :/ I hope I'm nt being to harsh but I feel you should really push this a different direction. like when I first saw the shotgun umbrella thing I thought sweet steam punk.

Mmm, perhaps. I mean reading your last sentence you were hoping for something steam punkish, but then I find it refreshing that this one isn't going towards that theme. Like it might be good to push it towards a theme a bit more than it is but it shouldn't be a bad thing that it isn't steampunk or cyberpunk.

I can see the influence from Black Lagoon, looks like it could be good :thumbup:. I'd say that the arms may be a bit too long, I just cut and rotated one and the hand is almost completely below the bottom of the crotch.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    rlly I know black laggon and I still don't see it. and yes I did try to push what I wanted but, I dunno I guess I'm just not feeling the character design it feels uninteresting.
    btw the earlier designs I'm feeling 1 and 5
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Your sculpt is turning out to be a lot like the actual DOA models that were ripped from the game...

You could probably deviate from their standard a bit more (the DOA models were fine in their time, but by today's standards might be a bit lacking).

For the clothing, I think you could probably cover the midriff and still keep a lot of the sexiness. At the moment it just looks like she has a bra on and doesn't really feel like an outfit.

From front view, the feet look kind of squashed. I think it's a common mistake for people to assume that feet are wider than they really are.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dudealan2001: Interesting, not harsh at all. I'm gonna try and stay away from sci-fi and steampunk, but I agree the concept needs more work on it. Fetish theme eh? I'm alright with this :P I'm glad someone likes the Umbrella Gun idea.

@TortillaChips: Thanks for the support man. You are right, I'm don't want to do any steampunk or sci-fi stuff yet. I'm going try set my own type of style. Also thanks for the crit, I have made her taller so I hope that balances it out.

@haikai: Dude I'm a big fan of yours, I appreciate it that you have posted on my thread :D Ok enough ass kissing haha. There's alot of refs for these models with the right google searches, I had to make sure I'm alone before I went looking if know what I mean haha.
    Could you explain further about deviating from the original body? I wanted it to look like Hitomi since this is probably massive redesign and I'm a bit afraid that it'll end up not looking like her.
    I agree about the clothing, I need to make it more interesting. Yep, I've stuffed up the foot, thanks for the heads up.
    ____

Ok I've been going through my design inspiration folder and these are the options I could go for to cover the midriff + making the design more appealing.
    choices.jpg
    First idea is a sleaveless jacket, second is..I forgot what it's called, corset? so it's basically the same just extending the bra, thrid is various straps that connects the bra and her pants or skirt. Feel free to suggest something :)

While I was thinking about where I'm going with the character design I have started modeling the high poly for the umbrella gun.
    ugwip.png

I still need to add more "gun stuff" to it, I'm still researching how guns bloody work hmmph. As you can see, the shield thing can collapse together when closing the umbrella, pretty nifty eh?
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant help but notice most of your anatomic reference is already existing models or drawings. I would look at real woman....not only because thats a nice way to pass time, but also because it might give you some ideas
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8

@haikai: Dude I'm a big fan of yours, I appreciate it that you have posted on my thread :D Ok enough ass kissing haha. There's alot of refs for these models with the right google searches, I had to make sure I'm alone before I went looking if know what I mean haha.
    Could you explain further about deviating from the original body? I wanted it to look like Hitomi since this is probably massive redesign and I'm a bit afraid that it'll end up not looking like her.
    I agree about the clothing, I need to make it more interesting. Yep, I've stuffed up the foot, thanks for the heads up.

I guess by "deviate" I was trying to say in a nice way that the DOA models, by today's standards, are a little lacking in detail and definition. I'm a fan of the series and I know their reputation for sexy characters, but I'm skeptical how much you can learn from reproducing their model exactly.

I totally agree that you should try to keep the essence of the original character as much as you can, but I don't think you need to go super realistic or anything like that. As JGcount mentioned, working in your observations from real references will help a lot. It's better to know what's there and leave things out according to your tastes than to try to replicate a model that is already somewhat limited in detail.

The model you have now is already serviceable, but I think trying to push it and seeing what you can learn from it could be worth it. If you've got any ideas on ways to shape the model according to what you like then it's a great opportunity to do so. :)
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @haikai: oh ok, I see what you're saying now.

sculpt2.png
    Is this better? I'm thinking of exaggerating the muscles a bit.
    The legs still need a bit of work 'cause it's looking a bit lumpy, and I haven't started on the arms yet so I'll give it the same treatment later. Don't mind the hands, it went like that when I stretched the model.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Looking for areas where you can reinforce natural anatomy is more the kind of definition I was referring to. Points where you can obviously see the skeleton's influence such as the illiac crest, joints like the knees/elbows, and then contrast it with areas of soft fat. Enough balance to make it feel natural and structurally sound.

A little muscle definition wouldn't hurt, but again it's something I'd be careful with not to make her entire body look like it's in a constant state of flex or something like that. poly133.gif There are parts of the body where muscles are naturally more obvious and then parts where it's very subtle. The subtlety is probably the hardest part, particularly on female models, but it's good practice to try and find that balance because I think a lot of sexiness can be communicated with it.

It might help to step down in your subdivisions a bit when deciding on the amount of definition. At lower levels, the polygons are more malleable, reacting better to subtle tweaks. You can always smooth things out later.

The feet look a lot better now, but you might want to take another look at the ankles. The "balls" of the ankle on the inside should be higher than the outside as you have it, but on your model the distance is too great.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks haikai, you've been a great help. If you didn't push me to do more detail, it wouldn't of looked better.

I think I might start on the glove sleeve thing because those hands are annoying me :P
    sculpt3.png
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    It's looking better, but there are still a few things you should work on. This is really just an excuse to link images of Candice Swanepoel, but here is some sexy leg reference:
    CS_legRef.jpg

Notice the flow of shapes from front and side view. It's pretty critical to get this right for sexy legs (the same can be said for the arms, but I'm too lazy to put something together for that).

Also, notice the definition on the inside of the legs. It shouldn't be nearly as obvious as on your model. Your knees are way too bulky, and the feet still lack structure.

Another area worth taking a look at is the transition between the breasts and the torso/arms.

I know a lot of areas are probably going to get covered up, but really taking the time to examine the whole body and get things right will pay off. I would probably prioritize fixing the overall shape and silhouette before going into more details.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, that helped. Hopefully I'm going in the right direction. There's always an excuse to link sexy women images hahaha
    sculpt4.png
    The hand is looking a bit dodgy at the moment so gonna check some refences to see where I went wrong.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    It's getting there. I'm not the best person to be drawing this stuff, but here's a diagram to more clearly show what I meant:
    legFlow.jpg

There's a sort of flow to legs that your model is still missing. Notice the points that stick out and inwards. There's a specific proportion and curve to these shapes, and they almost form a series of parallel lines in the front view. I've exaggerated it for demonstration purposes here, but I it's worth emphasizing.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I better get this leg thing done :P I just notice the calf in the sideview is a bit pointy so I've already fixed that.
    legsculpt.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've done a few design changes on the bra thing so it covers the midriff more.
    sculpt5.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished the high poly, just need to sculpt ears and fix the hands. The skirt I will do separately in 3DS Max with alpha'ed textures.

sculpt6.png
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Hands look very small and the way they're smoothing seems to make them lose form and structure in the fingers. Ears look kinda big and lacking in detail.

Maybe it's early, but I think you should try to make the clothing really feel like it's being affected by the body. It kind of looks like it's just hovering there. Some strategically placed wrinkles/folds and making it look like it's hanging off the body will help a lot.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers hai, I think this update address' most of the things you brought up.

First up I paid more attention to the face and fixed it up so it's closer to the original and finally sculpted ears. Hopefully the jacket makes more sense now and not floating as before.

This probably one of the final high poly updates unless there's something major I've missed, I'll start retopoing on Sunday.

sculpt7.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly umbrella gun...done. 1024 tris, that's probably the maximum that I'm willing to put in the umbrella.

lowpolyumbrella.png
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what do u use to pose the character? it seems sometimes she is in the arms spread out pose and other times in a relaxed pose.

also i don't see any way to reload the shotgun, or where shells eject
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've only moved the legs since I had to do alot of work on it. For moving limbs I usually mask the parts I want to move then invert the mask so it's editable then use the transpose tool to pose it. Otherwise I just use the move brush with a strong intensity.

Thanks for the crits, I'll probably texture the ejection hole on the side. For reloading, the bullets will fall into place from the clip. It's more like a long ass double barreled pistol lol
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More retopoing. Total tris + Umbrella tris = 8938. I'm going to start modeling the hair before I run out of tris haha.

hitomilpwip.png
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats the complicated mess of geometry on her stomach? that cross belt thing? if so shouldn't that just be a seperate piece like her boots

also i see lots of her body clipping into her attachments ie her boots, gloves, top shirt thing. is that concern at all?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I suggest putting some more rows in the forearm portion of the glove. What you have now is probably going to twist badly.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @n88tr: yeah, that needs to be fixed later. The clipping is caused by the viewport when there's geometry close together.
    @hai: Thanks you're right, I'll fix it right away.

Modeled and unwrapped the hair. I have about 1500 tris to spare, I'll probably able to gain some more after I fix her torso.

hairf.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally unwrapped and baked!

normalbake.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Textured the skin. Rendered with the old marmoset toolbag, with the skin shader. The normal phong shader whited out all the detail...

renderwip.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an update. Still need to fix the clipping problems.
    renderwip2.png
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates. Just finished rigging a few minutes ago and now I'm posing.
    posewip.png
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    I'd go easy under the eyes. The redness makes it look like she's been crying, and it kind of ages her. For the hair, you might be trying to be too literal with all those tiny strands. It looks really noisy from that distance and could be distracting even when you have the shaders and render finalized.

I think some subtle AO/cavity treatment on the textures would help things out too.
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks hai, yeah I'll fix them redness. I'm not sure I have the time to fix the hair, but it's probably the crap viewport making everything noisy.

Here's another shot in Marmoset. I don't like the way that it handles/sorts alphas. So I'm gonna see if UDK is any better, though I don't know how to present it in there or how to save hi res sceenshots. I also kinda regret making the ponytail into strips...I thought I would of gave it more depth. Something I'm not going to try again.

posewip2p.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a preview of my first beauty shot. After messing around in the material viewer I have found out that UDK is much better for alphas/opacity.

bs1wip.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I finally finished my entry. I'm so glad that I'm improving haha.

Beauty Shot 1
    brawl___hitomi___beauty_shot_1_by_nightflarer-d3fqmkl.png

Beauty Shot 2
    brawl___hitomi___beauty_shot_2_by_nightflarer-d3fqmxs.png

Spec Shot
    brawl___hitomi___spec_shot_by_nightflarer-d3fqnah.png

Texture Shot
    brawl___hitomi___texture_shot_by_nightflarer-d3fqng9.png
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6