Home General Discussion

Shogun 2: Total War

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
Huge Total War fan, got a chance to play some.

The Coop Campaign is fantastic and a lot of fun. Anyone else playin'?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EQWcB1vXXg[/ame]

Replies

• Geledonutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely playing it! steam speed up!

I love the total war series as well... countless hours have been poured into my conquest of Europe!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone pick up the uber chess set edition? Would have preferred a sake set...preferably one without the logo splashed all over it.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll definitely be picking this up soon. I was going to get it today, but my nearby EB was sold out. And this happens to be the first time I decided not to pre-order a game I wanted.

What I've been reading about it seems great. Can't wait to play. Especially the multiplayer.

I'm indian_boy90 on Steam.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    ugh! I want to play this so bad...but right now I need to finish Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition and then start and finish Dragon Age 2... but soon..japan will be mine.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    totally forgot about this T___T

I played the first one religiously.. I do hope II is good.. will be getting it for sure
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Preordered it, installing now. Not like I'm going to have time to play for a while, hah. The demo was fantastic though.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    totally forgot about this T___T

I played the first one religiously.. I do hope II is good.. will be getting it for sure

If you liked the first one, you'll definitely love the second one.

I'm playing as Chosokabe right now, but got demolished by the Mori Clan in a foiled battle that cost both my Ministry of War General and my Daimyo.

Now my Daimyo's wife and daughter are both widowed, and the only heir I have is 11 years old. FML. On top of that, now the Mori have a free path to walk right into my cities. Double FML.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    kaburan wrote: »

I'm playing as Chosokabe right now, but got demolished by the Mori Clan in a foiled battle that cost both my Ministry of War General and my Daimyo.

Now my Daimyo's wife and daughter are both widowed, and the only heir I have is 11 years old. FML. On top of that, now the Mori have a free path to walk right into my cities. Double FML.

So the general system / family tree thing is back?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    It is awesome.

I am bound to say that because I work there, but it really is. :)
  • Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    I didn't get to sleep till about 3am last night because I kept playing this game. It's like if SEGA combined Civilization with ninjas. Oh wait they did....so boned.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    So the general system / family tree thing is back?

Yup! There is a family tree, daughters can be offered to marriage of your Generals or to another Clan for Diplomacy, you can also manage talent traits of your Generals as they build experience. Its very robust and not OP. Gives you that edge. You can also assign your generals specific ministry tasks, such as War, Finance, etc.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yup! There is a family tree, daughters can be offered to marriage of your Generals or to another Clan for Diplomacy, you can also manage talent traits of your Generals as they build experience. Its very robust and not OP. Gives you that edge. You can also assign your generals specific ministry tasks, such as War, Finance, etc.

Awesome, that was one of the bigger things I missed in empire!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -frothing at the mouth-
    This sounds real good. Better than I'd expected.

Can't get a hold of it till the weekend though x_x.
    Hope it runs nicely on my rig.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, they're patching in DX11 but at release its DX9 so AA and Shader 4+ are not available initially. Still looks and runs great however.

I just wish we had access to that Collectors Edition in the states :(
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13

Hehe, I mostly played as Mori in the first game, mostly. They had bonus on the best units the fanatic warrior monks. Those guys were badass. A small contingent could take on whole armies and destroy them (or, rarely, perish on the battlefield to the last man rather than run).

As for Shogun 2 I pre-ordered it on steam, haven`t downloaded it yet (15GB!) but will do when I have some free time.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik wrote: »
    Hehe, I mostly played as Mori in the first game, mostly. They had bonus on the best units the fanatic warrior monks. Those guys were badass. A small contingent could take on whole armies and destroy them (or, rarely, perish on the battlefield to the last man rather than run).

As for Shogun 2 I pre-ordered it on steam, haven`t downloaded it yet (15GB!) but will do when I have some free time.

Fanatic Monks!!

I remember those crazy guys, unbreakable spirit. I know Monk Warriors are in the game but haven't fought against any yet. Will be interesting!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The only Total War game I played was Rome. Is this similar/better?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Is it sorta like or takes the same period as Nobunaga's Ambition? My brother and I played that for hours as a kid.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    It is set in the sengoku period, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengoku_period, so yeah I think that puts it in the same era as nobunaga's ambition.

I don't know how much of the awesome behind the scenes stuff I would be allowed to tell about here - maybe I will wait and see what you all think first. :)

Hope you all enjoy it - you can always get the demo from steam and suck it and see! :D
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steam finished downloading last night. Going to play a game or two at lunch :D
    CAAAAAN'T WAIT :D
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Is it sorta like or takes the same period as Nobunaga's Ambition? My brother and I played that for hours as a kid.

Exactly the same time period, and Nobunaga is in Shogun 2 ;)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got a chance to play it some more last night. I'm really diggin it. So many new options to mess with. The AI is better (and fuggin HARD - I lost within 19 turns on Legendary difficulty) and of course it's graphically succulent. Worth the purchase for sure.

Only thing that bugs me right now is the loadup/intro time. Why does it take +-1min to load the menu? I don't get it. I have a pretty good PC now, so I don't see why it happens.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Love the TW series, just about to install Shogun, fun times ahead.

Add me up, would be fun to have some games in the future and what not,

Elliottmc123
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    (Probably best to post this query here :P)

Just booted up Shogun 2, graphics options says its using basically the sandy bridge graphics instead of the 2gbs of nvidia in the unit? Wtf? How do I change that? Theres no drop down or anything.